Viking 2-for-1: how urgent is this?

One of our family has a confusing schedule that won't resolve itself till December. We'd like to go to China next summer and do the Imperial or Cultural trip that includes the Yangtze cruise. If we really need to book now in order to get a great deal, we may need to go with the shorter Imperial at a very hot time of the summer. If we can wait till December we may have more choices. I know nobody can offer a guarantee, but if we don't grab Viking's 2-for-1 deal now (ending this month), are we likely to pay a lot more by December?

The age old question, should I buy now or will the price go up or down. It seems that as cruise dates fill, the companies tend to raise prices until it gets close to sailing and then they will try to fill to ship by sometimes lowering the price. There are so many variables that it makes it difficult to really know. Looking at China for this year, there seems to be space available. The other issue is air scheduling. Companies are flying less so you must consider this as well. I'm flying to Paris next April and have been watching prices. They seem to holding steady but the planes are filling so I bought. Good luck!

In looking at some of the Viking cruises, many of them are almost full. The few dates left are asking top dollar. With 2010, if next year is the same as 2009, then prices will rises as the ship fills. I looked mainly at european cruises. It's really a crap shoot as all companies use a series of marketing ploys to fill their ships as do airlines.

Right now the travel industry is really hurting.. the cruise industry included.

Here in the Yucatan of Mexico, it has been really bad. First the poor US (and world) economy hurt. Yet it looked like Cancun and the Yucatan were still going to do ok this year.

But then there was very NEGATIVE publicity about violence in Mexico.. even though there has been NO violence here and is safter than almost any where in the states. Yet still it looked like those in the tourist industry would survive.

Then came the H1N1 (so called swine) flu. Even though there has been almost no flu here in the Yucatan (perhaps because it is tropical and open living)... as a matter of fact I still know noone personally who has had the flu, it totally killed the tourist industry. Many hotels in Cancun shut down. A neighbor who has built up a growing tour company of historic Mexico had almost all of his clients cancel and has been receiving no reservations for next year. Of those hotels in Cancun and the Riviera Maya that remain open, occupency has been 20percent and less. Really dismal.

The flu is likely to hit harder come fall.. but not here likely but in locals such as Europe that are prone to flu.

Only aggressive advertising is going to get the tourists, I think.

The specials for Viking are ending soon. Details are on the Viking River Cruises web site.

I am booked on the Sept 29th 09 Viking Trip. We have been kicking it around other cruises fr 4 years. We got the "2 for 1 and $800 off air package" It works out to about the same prices we have seen for last 4 years! It is not a gimmick, but it is a sale comeon that will come again!

Other China River cruises are less but from what I here from friends is that Viking's boats are newer and hotels that you stay in have American Beds versus harder Asian culture beds. We are staying in Ritz Carlton in Beijing and Shanghai. Our friends met others from other river cruises at same "ports" and exchanged info. The other ships are older with less amenities!

If you buy the insurance from Viking (more expensive), you can cancel for ANY reason and get Credit towards another trip! Most Travel agent's insurance only covers cancelation for medical and named excuses!

We are lucky, they booked us direct over North Pole on United from Chicago for only a 13 hour flight!

We just received our THIRD 2 for 1 brochure. This has been extended since April. Now the cut off is sometime in August! I have never sailed Viking but after research on a particular cruise we wanted, it really didn't work out to a "true" 2 for 1. They jacked up the "original" prices so high (over 7,000 pp) then lowered it to within a normal range as other companies. I'm sure I'll keep receiving 2 for 1 brochures until they start filling the ships.

Viking keeps bombarding us with the 2-for1 deals, too. I checked with AMA Waterways for a comparison on the river cruise we are interested in and their regular price is the same as the 2-for-1 price Viking is offering.

I don't get it...

Do folks really jump on these deals without checking comparible trips with other lines??

Jennifer

I have gotten several brochures in the mail lately for this "2 for 1" special - but when comparing prices - Viking is $$$$ compared to other lines even with discounted air and supposedly one person free.

We booked with Grand Circle Travel and I feel got a very fair price...I agree with above poster - check out all lines before you jump on a mailer...:confused:

their "2 for 1" (which translates into half price for a single stateroom on Viking Legend) results in a bargain price, compared to other options. Perhaps it's not as good a deal for two people traveling together, but because my husband doesn't want to fly to Europe, I'm on my own and very pleased with the price for my spring "Tulips & Windmills" cruise.

We just received our THIRD 2 for 1 brochure. This has been extended since April. Now the cut off is sometime in August! I have never sailed Viking but after research on a particular cruise we wanted, it really didn't work out to a "true" 2 for 1. They jacked up the "original" prices so high (over 7,000 pp) then lowered it to within a normal range as other companies. I'm sure I'll keep receiving 2 for 1 brochures until they start filling the ships.

Its working... the boats in Sept and Oct in China are full!

Viking's prices after "1/2 price and $800 off air packages" are in line with the cheaper downscale river cruise tours in China. The quality of tour guides is what we are after!

• 9 months later...

I wanted to continue this thread for this year. Just received a Viking Brochure ( last one I received was last year 2009).

They are again offering 2 for 1. Is this an annual thing or is it a result of the bad economic conditions around the world? Was this marketing practice common in say 2007, 2008?

Having only done Cruise Ships, we are looking at 2012 as a year to do China River Cruise.

They DO do it every year!

The "2 for 1" promo is not a promo - it is their usual rates

I basically felt that I was under the gun when I booked my upcoming cruise last July as "the promotion was good until the end of month only" (sounds familiar? :rolleyes:). Needless to say, came August 1st - the 2-for-1 promotion was "mysteriously" extended until October (and so on, and so on...)

The 2010 brochure I received shortly-there-after was showing 2-for-1 for every cruise.... and so does the 2011 brochure.

I can't speculate on what the prices will be (it does seem they are going up) but I dont think there should be any worries about paying $4,000+ pp

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked for next July on Viking and also have the 2 for 1 deal with $500 air credit. In order to take advantage of the air credit, we needed to make final payment by May 25th. I called Viking to add another cabin to our group and asked "What if we do not take advantage of the $500 air credit?" I was then told that we can pay by December 20. I then priced the air using this July's dates and the price of the air was the same as Viking's air using the air credit: Viking $1595 minus $500 = $1095. Orbitz $1095.

Why make final payment a year in advance if the airfare is the same?

We are booked for next July on Viking and also have the 2 for 1 deal with $500 air credit. In order to take advantage of the air credit, we needed to make final payment by May 25th. I called Viking to add another cabin to our group and asked "What if we do not take advantage of the $500 air credit?" I was then told that we can pay by December 20. I then priced the air using this July's dates and the price of the air was the same as Viking's air using the air credit: Viking $1595 minus $500 = $1095. Orbitz $1095.

Why make final payment a year in advance if the airfare is the same?[/quote]

If you take their air you will also get transportation from the airport to the hotel/ship and vice versa. If you do your own air you must get your own transportation.

I now have the cabin I want booked, the price might go up or go down! Ok (Santa Claus) I have the free wine (maybe beer too with dinner) package. My flights are guaranteed. Newark to Moscow then Helsinki to Newark with transfers for less than $900.00 per person check the air fares for this year we are going next June. I’m paid and guaranteed. Remember I can always cancel. Smiles to all and enjoy your travels. :)

One thing I want to bring to everyone's attention, since I just returned from a Vinking "Cossacks" trip and heard enough of comments from fellow cruisers:

Make SURE the Air Itinerary is reasonably "fitting". While Viking does advertize "the most direct routes" some of the folks originally had 4 (:eek:) connections!!!! (from US that is). After they called Viking and raised a bit of stink - the 1 or 2 connections flights miraculously appeared.... :rolleyes:

Also, at the disembarcation day some people had to leave the ship at 2:00 am in order to make a 5:00 am flights - NOTHING I would enjoy doing (just my humble opinion)

In re wallygator's "got free wine (and may be beer) package" - the beer is NOT included (nor any soft drinks for that matter). See applicable part of my "just got back from Footsteps of the Cossacks" post in this section.

In re wallygator's "got free wine (and may be beer) package" - the beer is NOT included (nor any soft drinks for that matter). See applicable part of my "just got back from Footsteps of the Cossacks" post in this section.

Old Pete we just returned from China on Viking with the free wine deal. The first night we were told beer was also included. I had beer every night and never charged. That was just THREE weeks ago. Could be it was their mistake or my good looks but it is a fact.:)

I agree with other posters who stated that the net result of the Viking 2 for 1 deal is a price that is on par with the current price for similar cruises on other lines. For example, I am interested in an AMA cruise on the Danube next year and Viking's discounted price is in line with AMA's listed price.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am going on the Viking cruise July 4, 2010. Any info would be appreciated from those who have travelled on the Kirov. Also I would like to get guides in Moscow and St. Petersburg. If you know of someone or also can recommend what I would need a personal guide for it would be appreciated. Thanks,

Archived