Blue Mosque during Ramadan

Hi all!

Does anyone know for sure if the Blue Mosque is open/closed during Ramadan? I know during services non-Muslims will probably be asked to leave and we are prepared for that, that services are generally 15 minutes except midday of Friday where it could be longer etc., but we will be there September 16th and would like to see this. Any insight is much appreciated! :)

I know during services non-Muslims will probably be asked to leave and we are prepared for that,

They will not even admit you during service times, so this won't be a problem. Don't worry about being bored as you wait outside. I am sure someone will come up to you and tell you about their relatives in the US who, amazingly enough, are attending University in your city, and then they will offer to sell you a rug or a leather jacket :).

They will not even admit you during service times, so this won't be a problem. Don't worry about being bored as you wait outside

Waiting outside of the worship area is my favorite moment for our 12 days Meditteranean cruise. The call for prayer that echo around the mosque when they start the service is something that I think everyone should experience. Even though we don't understand the language, but it is very peaceful and calming. It make one really appreciate the peaceful nature of the worship experience. Tje call for prayer lasted about 5 minutes or so and the service last about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes and the ground around the mosque is quite beautiful..

They will not even admit you during service times, so this won't be a problem. Don't worry about being bored as you wait outside. I am sure someone will come up to you and tell you about their relatives in the US who, amazingly enough, are attending University in your city, and then they will offer to sell you a rug or a leather jacket :).

LOL Never had a rug offered but in Italy I was often offered my choice of "New" watches. Middle of summer and they had long coats on which when opened showed 20-30 fine quality watches! In Casa Blanca I was offered "My sister's necklace -- just a little problem with the latch so I bought her a new one and can offer you---". Guess it must be the white tennis shoes clueing them in or they notice the bus with cruise line name on it :D

Last year in Casa Blanca the Great Mosque was open for visitors during Ramadan. This huge space held thousands inside and 10,000 or more in the courtyard. Needless to say, I don't think I would like to get caught up in that kind of a crowd for services. I had trouble just walking with the tour group in that the beauty was almost overwhelming. I am looking forward to the ancient beauty of the Blue Mosque.

So very lucky to be there during Ramazan (as it is known in Turkey)

We were there for a week three years ago during Ramazan and it is a wonderful carnival atmosphere all around the mosque area. The Hippodrome is transformed into an amazing tented city full of tea tents, traditional music, "hubble bubble " smoking facilities and all sorts. Many of the other stalls are preparing and selling food of all kinds, meals and snacks, and all sorts of sweets/candy are being made and sold too. The nearby stage hosts perfonces by traditional bands and others. There are also souvenir stalls. Many of the cafes surrounding thie mosque have performances by the "Whirling Dervishes". There are all the things you would expect kids to want to buy too. This is a real family event. The area is crowded every evening with families who have travelled from around the city, many in their best clothes, most with their cameras. The Mosque looks fabulous. People are sitting in front of the mosque admiring it or simply strolling enjoying the atmosphere. It can get crowded, especially the trams, but well worth the experience. This all happens in the evening so I hope you are pre or post cruise or have a late sailing. Evening, because of course there is fasting during the day.

We were back 2 years ago on a cruise ship for 2 days and it was not Ramazan. Such a difference.

Like Edinburgher, we were there during Ramadan (hotel near the Blue Mosque) and can confirm its the BEST time to go, tho I'm guessing you wont be there for an evening, which is a shame. Some maps call the Blue Mosque by its correct name of Sultanahmet Camii.................another contributor described the Call to Prayer as "peaceful & calming" Not at 5am it ain't!! LOL ............there's major renovation work at Hagia Sophia, so a visit there may be limited or impossible. .........try some baklava - a pastry with nuts & dripping in honey, yummeeee... .. put the Grand Bazaar on your must-do list. .........and if you've got the time, a cheap, frequent, peaceful & interesting ferry ride up the Golden Horn (end-destination Eyup) as far as you care, then catch one back ............A truly interesting and different city

John Bull

............there's major renovation work at Hagia Sophia, so a visit there may be limited or impossible. .........

John Bull

You are mixing up the Mosque of Suleyman the Magnificent, which is closed for extensive renovations, with the Aya Sofia, which definitely is not closed, and where, in fact, the scaffolding which has been up in the central dome for nigh on 40 years in preparation will be removed in the next few months in preparation for next year's special celebrations in Istanbul.

In fact, just last week a wonderful angel mosaic was uncovered at the Aya Sofia (an event covered by the Istanbul forum of sister website tripadvisor, which I follow on a daily basis).

We're actually in Istanbul overnight, so we'll be able to experience some of Ramadan!

Certainly go over to the Hippodrome/Blue Mosque area that evening (with your money belt and no wallet for sure:)). It really is a lovely festive atmosphere.

You are mixing up the Mosque of Suleyman the Magnificent, which is closed for extensive renovations, with the Aya Sofia, which definitely is not closed,

Hi Pam,

Nah, not getting mixed-up. Wrong, mebbe, out-of-date certainly, but not mixed-up. Hagia Sophia was seriously restricted when I was there in '07 & there were days when it was closed due to the renovs. But I bow to your more up-to-date info.

Saw your spelling, so checked it out - hey, I'm right.

And so are you.

Regards

John Bull

Just there in May...... scaffolding in Blue Mosque but they just have that area roped off..... you can walk all around the rest. Let me just say that those workers have nerves of steel - that ceiling is very very high :eek: It truly will be beautiful when they finish gold leafing it !

Just came back from the trip. The ship arrived Friday noon, due to the Friday noon service, we decided to go to Hghia Sophia first. But when we got off the tram, we saw huge prayer crowds doing service in a park outside a mosque close to the tram station. It was really an amazing scene to watch. Some cruise folks were led to the blue mosque by tour guides at that time, ended up waiting outside for a long time and it was really crowded afterwards. So always find out the service time before you go.

Just there in May...... scaffolding in Blue Mosque but they just have that area roped off..... you can walk all around the rest. Let me just say that those workers have nerves of steel - that ceiling is very very high :eek: It truly will be beautiful when they finish gold leafing it !

Just re-read my post.....my bad. Meant to say Aya Sofia has scaffolding.

So very lucky to be there during Ramazan (as it is known in Turkey)

We were there for a week three years ago during Ramazan and it is a wonderful carnival atmosphere all around the mosque area. The Hippodrome is transformed into an amazing tented city full of tea tents, traditional music, "hubble bubble " smoking facilities and all sorts. Many of the other stalls are preparing and selling food of all kinds, meals and snacks, and all sorts of sweets/candy are being made and sold too. The nearby stage hosts perfonces by traditional bands and others. There are also souvenir stalls. Many of the cafes surrounding thie mosque have performances by the "Whirling Dervishes". There are all the things you would expect kids to want to buy too. This is a real family event. The area is crowded every evening with families who have travelled from around the city, many in their best clothes, most with their cameras. The Mosque looks fabulous. People are sitting in front of the mosque admiring it or simply strolling enjoying the atmosphere. It can get crowded, especially the trams, but well worth the experience. This all happens in the evening so I hope you are pre or post cruise or have a late sailing. Evening, because of course there is fasting during the day.

We were back 2 years ago on a cruise ship for 2 days and it was not Ramazan. Such a difference.

Agreed!! We stayed in Istanbul for a couple of days after the cruise and I recommend having dinner at the cafes around the Hippodrome.

Have to agree with the above posters. The area around the Blue Mosque in the evening at Ramadan has such a wonderful atmosphere. Lots of families out celebrating the end of the day of fasting, live music, fairy lights lighting up trees, lots of stall with wonderful foods to try. Quite a magical experience! auducky, you are lucky to have an overnight in Istanbul. You will love this experience - just allow yourselves time to just wander around and soak it in.

Archived