Free Embarkation Champagne Not So Free?

sc425

It's free but it's wrong to call it Champagne when it's a cheap sparkling wine!

(NCL don't call it Champagne so they are not lying!)

Totally agree. To be Champagne it has to come from the Champagne region of France. Anything else is a sparkling wine which, although it may have been made in the Champagne style, cannot legally be called Champagne. The French Champagne producers are very, very hot on this. They fight to protect their good name.

NCL does not call it Champagne because they know it is not champagne ( very expensive stuff) and correctly refer to it as sparkling wine. Check out the prices of a true champagne such as Laurent Perrier, Mumm, Moet et Chandon and you will see why NCL doesn't give it away.

I have now read that review mentioned which started this thread. It was a very intersting read. I do wonder if the person who wrote it was on any ship at all. I agree that the buffet on the Pearl could be a little crazy at times but that was the only thing I felt was at all valid.

Totally agree. To be Champagne it has to come from the Champagne region of France. Anything else is a sparkling wine which, although it may have been made in the Champagne style, cannot legally be called Champagne. The French Champagne producers are very, very hot on this. They fight to protect their good name.

It depends where in the world you are; the US does not accept or enforce this (heck, we even have domestic cognac--gasp), and there are many cheap champagnes, chiefly from NY (like Taylor's Great Western). It's kind of like getting domestic Swiss Cheese or Danish Hams (or all the US cigars and liquors that hijacked the names of well known Cuban brands like Montecristo, Romeo & Julietaa, or Baccardi). Incidentally, most California producers are far more aware of this and will not call their sparkling wines "champagne", usually designating only that they were produced using the "method champagnoise".

But I agree, cheap sparkling wine is not champagne and should not be called by that name, regardless of whether it is legal to do so.

I have no idea how this person could say this. The champagne was freely given and you didn't have to show ID or your room key. This person MAY have bought a drink and claimed to be charged for champagne. I read that review also and claiming to be charged for champagne invalidates the rest of the review. I wonder if the whole review and trip was fabricated.

I agree. Some people will write baloney. Ruins this board.

I too read the review and I am would love to see the receipt that was signed because that is the only way you are going to get a charged for a drink. Plus, everyone does not take a glass so why would they charge everyone for a glass of champange? Something's fishy here.:cool:

It depends where in the world you are; the US does not accept or enforce this (heck, we even have domestic cognac--gasp), and there are many cheap champagnes, chiefly from NY (like Taylor's Great Western). It's kind of like getting domestic Swiss Cheese or Danish Hams (or all the US cigars and liquors that hijacked the names of well known Cuban brands like Montecristo, Romeo & Julietaa, or Baccardi). Incidentally, most California producers are far more aware of this and will not call their sparkling wines "champagne", usually designating only that they were produced using the "method champagnoise".

But I agree, cheap sparkling wine is not champagne and should not be called by that name, regardless of whether it is legal to do so.

Doesn't NCL just call it " A glass of bubbly"? :)

LOL, at least he/she/they got champagne on their Pearl embarkation.

Hubby and I didn't get any...didn't see the servers and they didn't see us, evidently.

The servers may not see us this fall on the Dawn, but I'll be looking for them this time! :D:D:D

I'll be shocked if you are missed on the Dawn. They are lined up as you get your card swiped to enter the ship - couldn't have missed it if I wanted do, which I most definitely did NOT. They were a little less obvious on the Gem last year - we sort of had to look for them, so I can imagine it happening on the Pearl. We love it whatever you call it and it's a great way to start a vacation.

Hubby and I didn't get any...didn't see the servers and they didn't see us, evidently.

The servers may not see us this fall on the Dawn, but I'll be looking for them this time! :D:D:D

We got our bubbly on the Star last year. Azure, I see we're on the same sailing. drop on it to our roll call:)

I suspect this guy was never actually on a cruise, but pieced together criticisms that he read elsewhere (like in these threads), and wrote a fantasy review.

I thought they screened reviews before posting them in the review section. Not sure how this one passed the red face test.

I agree. Some people will write baloney. Ruins this board.

Not just this board...it is rampant on the Internet. Anyone can write whatever they please. The worst part is that people read this type of garbage and automatically assume it's true because they saw it in black and white.

Not just this board...it is rampant on the Internet. Anyone can write whatever they please. The worst part is that people read this type of garbage and automatically assume it's true because they saw it in black and white.

Or Blue!:D

Well, I surely hope you wrote a nasty review!:D

They had lot's of interesting impressions like this one.....

Look out for reviews too well done, or too one sided, these are put on by the cruise companys to give you a rosey impression of a bad ship.

Guess that makes me guilty! I try to write all my reviews with a positive slant and they are very detailed. I guess it is not to my credit that I was an English major and they are (most of the time) grammatically correct and well-structured. According to the writer above, it would follow that being awarded review of the month is also a "plot" by the cruise lines, as well! OK... OK - take those bamboo shoots out from underneath my fingernails.... I CONFESS!! GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!!!:D

I also was very suspicious about this review. I will be sailing the pearl next year and am looking forward to the champagne.

I thought it was odd that they didn't mention anything about the ports etc...

There is a link to their port reviews including LA in July :D

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/portreviews.cfm?EntryID=56534

I suspect this guy was never actually on a cruise, but pieced together criticisms that he read elsewhere (like in these threads), and wrote a fantasy review.

I guess I am naive, why would someone write a "fanasty review"? Are they getting paid to write misleading reviews?

Please do not think I am being sarcastic, I honestly do not understand why someone would waste their time and mine writing an untrue review.

I guess I am naive, why would someone write a "fanasty review"? Are they getting paid to write misleading reviews?

Please do not think I am being sarcastic, I honestly do not understand why someone would waste their time and mine writing an untrue review.

I don't know either. I understand why someone would do it and post it on a message board. It happens fairly often. They get to sit back and watch the storm they started. I guess in this case they got both.

Yes , thats it . They have no life . Also there are a few on these boards that think of their preferred cruise line as their only child and like to diswade others from cruising with other lines . its that simple ..

Oh and an occasional travel agent who does not like a particular line. Hope this helps ;)

that couldn't be furthest from the truth. As a matter of fact, when I was on the jewel we didn't get the champagne because they just had the noro virus on the ship and they were taking extra precautions with being clean. So what they did was give everyone a voucher for a FREE glass of champagne at the bliss bar for whenever they chose....

As a previous Pearl passenger, may I just say "rubbish" to the comment about the champagne, and "rubbish" to the OP's review.*

*All "subjective" of course.;)

Bring on the "Spirit"!!!:D

Archived