Red Velvet Cupcakes

A co-worker surprised me with a red velvet cupcake last night. While it was a delightful and welcome gift, I just didn't have the same reaction she did. It was a cupcake.

She made a big deal out of the fact it came from a bakery (I guess it's a chain :confused:) called Sprinkles. A friend drove a number of miles to obtain them for her. Knowing this, I hope I gave the proper response to make her feel good about presenting me with the cupcake as it was a very sweet gesture.

Sometimes I think I have different taste buds than others, as I have the same reaction to Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Honey Stung chicken.

But.....those Amish cupcakes sure sound great :)

I've never had the Amish version, but do use Paula's recipe for mine. I also use her cream cheese frosting recipe for carrot cake, flavored with lemon extract for lemon cupcakes, and with cocoa for chocolate cupcakes. It is really the best.

Has anyone tried the Sprinkles cupcake mixes that you can buy at Williams Sonoma? They are do delicious!!! I finally made the drive down to Beverly Hills a few months back to try one from their shops and was in heaven. I went there to buy just a couple and ended up with 6 to take home and $20 less in my wallet..

The Red Velvet are especially good but be very cautious no to overbake because they will dry out too much. All the flavors are great including the Chocolate (yummy). The frosting recipe that is included in all the mixes are absolutely to die for! Whenever I make them, people comment on how the frosting is the best they've ever tasted.

The mixes are a little pricey at $14 each and you still ahve to pay for other ingredients but they are great for a special occasion.

Yes, I know this has nothing to do with RCCL but I couldn't resist. I would love to hear how the Paula Dean Recipe turns out!

:confused:

Does anyone know what Red Velvet takes like? Is it vanilla cake that's got red food coloring or is it a totally different taste?

I had the cake in the dining room, and it tastes more like a yellow cake to me, but I'm no expert.

I'm gonna start a poll about what is the most evil pre-cruise thread...

This one should have top honors! I swear I gain another ounce every time I read your comments!

visions of Red Velvet cupcakes dancing in my head!

I'm gonna start a poll about what is the most evil pre-cruise thread...

This one should have top honors! I swear I gain another ounce every time I read your comments!

visions of Red Velvet cupcakes dancing in my head!

Red Velvet Smith Island Cake will really knock your socks off

http://originalsmithislandcakeco.com/cake-shop/electric-red-velvet-smith-island-cake.html

:cj

• 2 months later...
:confused:

Does anyone know what Red Velvet takes like? Is it vanilla cake that's got red food coloring or is it a totally different taste?

Duncan Heins has a Red Velvet cake mix...carried at most all large markets ( got mine at super Wal Mart)...:p

Sorry for the threadjack!:D Seriously though you NEED to try a RV cupcake. I guess living in central PA I take for granted all the amish cooking: shoo-fly pie,red velvet cakes,whoopie pies,etc...

Ohhh yummy! I'm a PA dutch girl now living in FL and I make those things from scratch!

But to the OP they now have a picture of those cupcakes on the website and they look ooohh so yummy!

I was looking for something to order ahead from the gift department to have delivered to our cabin and noticed Red Velvet Cupcakes as one of the selections. Has anyone ever ordered these? If so, how are they and how many are in an order?

Thanks all!

I just posted this picture the other night for another thread.

They are pretty expensive to me considering you can get free food all over the shop..

gft_cupcake_red_velvet.jpgDelicious Cupcakes $14.95 USD

Item# 119 - Red Velvet Cupcakes

Item# 120 - Vanilla Little Cupcakes

4 delicious cupcakes to enjoy in the comfort of your stateroom with your loved ones. s.gif

I just posted this picture the other night for another thread.

They are pretty expensive to me considering you can get free food all over the shop..

gft_cupcake_red_velvet.jpgDelicious Cupcakes $14.95 USD

Item# 119 - Red Velvet Cupcakes

Item# 120 - Vanilla Little Cupcakes

4 delicious cupcakes to enjoy in the comfort of your stateroom with your loved ones. s.gif

Must you tempt us even more with a picture ?????? :D

Hi Alexis, please stop over at 9/28 for a minute.

This must be new, I didn't see that in gifts and gear last year ! But that is a hefty price-tag !!

Has anyone tried the Sprinkles cupcake mixes that you can buy at Williams Sonoma? They are do delicious!!! I finally made the drive down to Beverly Hills a few months back to try one from their shops and was in heaven. I went there to buy just a couple and ended up with 6 to take home and $20 less in my wallet..

The Red Velvet are especially good but be very cautious no to overbake because they will dry out too much. All the flavors are great including the Chocolate (yummy). The frosting recipe that is included in all the mixes are absolutely to die for! Whenever I make them, people comment on how the frosting is the best they've ever tasted.

The mixes are a little pricey at $14 each and you still ahve to pay for other ingredients but they are great for a special occasion.

Yes, I know this has nothing to do with RCCL but I couldn't resist. I would love to hear how the Paula Dean Recipe turns out!

I buy the Sprinkles mixes from W & S ... we love the Banana mix. I have been wanting to try the Red Velvet. I am excited they are offering Red Velvet cupcakes on the Gifts and Gear section. I am going to order some for our kids cabin and ours too .... just a little Bon Voyage for our cruise at the end of the month!

Forgot to add, look for the Red Velvet Cupcakes at Barnes and Noble Cafe around the holidays. I got some last year and they had melted chocolate in the center .... O.M.G, they were delish!!!!

Ohhh yummy! I'm a PA dutch girl now living in FL and I make those things from scratch!

But to the OP they now have a picture of those cupcakes on the website and they look ooohh so yummy!

Any chance of a recipe for the amish version/

My mom is Iowa amish and made these while I was growing up, but she now has alzheimers and doesn't remember anything and all her side of the family that would speak to us are dead [she was the youngest kid and is now 86. She decided to marry english when she met my dad in her wanderjahr]

I would love to be able to recreate these....

This thread is so funny! Yes, I have sent the cupcakes to friends on RCCL ships. I'll have to ask them how they were.

And guess what's in my oven RIGHT NOW? A Duncan Hines Moist Red Velvet Cake.

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3191969

I got it on sale for like $1.99. I grabbed the cream cheese icing too. I'll let you know how it is after I eat it all. :D:D:D

This thread is so funny! Yes, I have sent the cupcakes to friends on RCCL ships. I'll have to ask them how they were.

I got it on sale for like $1.99. I grabbed the cream cheese icing too. I'll let you know how it is after I eat it all. :D:D:D

I think it actually isn't too bad--made it for the bf for his bday and he liked it. That's actually what made me think of ordering them for our cruise and bumping this thread! ;)

I made my Mom a Duncan Hines red velvet heart-shaped cake for her 80th birthday this year. I used Betty Crocker Whipped Butter Cream frosting, yum. And if you use a mixer to whip up the frosting even more, it is fluffier and really great on a cake. Mom had a tiara to wear at the party and the cake was delicious.;)

I was looking for something to order ahead from the gift department to have delivered to our cabin and noticed Red Velvet Cupcakes as one of the selections. Has anyone ever ordered these? If so, how are they and how many are in an order?

Thanks all!

I was looking for gifts too and these do look good. Actually I make them myself all the time..they're yummy! I decided against this because in my opinion:) there is sooo much free food its crazy...best to spend money elsewhere. I was thinking of the Champagne and fruit and cheese, but you can get the cheese plates for free from room service anythime you want them...so decided against that too. The last time we cruised I ordered a birthday cake for my daugter and it was such a waste. We both had small bites of it only because we felt so guilty not eating it. The rest was tossed...just couldn't brings ourselves to eat one more bite! We love to eat..but you can only eat so much..:D Whatever you decide...enjoy your cruise.....

"Red Velvet" actually has a Pennsylvania Dutch origin. It is traditionally made with cream cheese & sour cream in a vanilla cake mix. Originally Sasparilla or birch beer was used to color and flavor the mix as well. The icing is a cream cheesish very rich white topping. They are absolutely awesome and can still be had at a few local amish stores around central PA. Somehow though I don't think RCCL's chefs will make them the old amish way ;). Either way if you have never tried one you owe it to yourself to try them just once.

Thanks for the information-I lived in Philly and never heard of red velvet cake until I moved to Georgia. Here I thought it was a "southern thing."

Live and learn....

Thanks for the information-I lived in Philly and never heard of red velvet cake until I moved to Georgia. Here I thought it was a "southern thing."

Live and learn....

Me too, I grew up in Pennsylvania and have lived many places and never heard of it until we lived in the Nashville, TN area. I always thought it was a southern thing too!

Archived