Iron and Ironing Boards

Two suitcases "full of clothes that need ironing"? Perhaps some packing instructions might help you reduce that total.:rolleyes: Rationalize all you will, it is their fleet and they get to make the rules, and whether or not you choose to accept their reasons, you agree to abide by their policies as part of the cruise contract. As others have said, you have other options available to you including wrinkle release sprays or living with a few wrinkles, or ultimately choosing to sail with another company that doesn't ban irons. Frankly I feel a bit safer knowing that they have taken at least one step to minimize the chance of a deadly fire occurring onboard my next cruise.

We fly cruise so one suitcase each and a lot of clothes to fit into a suitcase for a 12 day cruise so inevitably most things get creased. Cant get Downy wrinkle stuff here in the UK.

So you dont mind hair straightners then?? after all they are allowed, but you know they are 1200 wattage 210 degrees , irons 100w, which would you think was more dangerous on a ship.........:rolleyes: why are people so gullible to believe its for safety, its for profit people!!!

I am not on here to brag about how I got away with taking an iron on board cause I did it several times before I even knew they were not allowed.....actually I think I found out they were not allowed by reading cruise critic after my 5th cruise! (with my iron!) Hate to admit it ...but I am one of those who irons everything and I travel with a small, fold up iron that is no more than 4-5 inches tall. We do ususally vacation some before or after the cruises we take so we do have extra clothes along so we do bring the iron along....so if it would get taken....o well....it was only a cheap little travel one.....But I truly have never even tried hiding it and it has never got taken away! Like the previous poster said.....my daughter's hair straightener gets MUCH HOTTER than my tiny little iron!! and too....I did try the rolling of all the kids clothes on the last cruise......that worked for a few of their things but I won't do it again....

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people think that rules do not apply to them. Whether you philosophically agree with the rules or not and might question the reason for having them, you do agree to them when you agree to cruise on their cruiseline.

I travel a lot for both business and pleasure - I iron, well, almost never. Linen requires ironing - I refuse to own any. If you have two suitcases full of items that all require ironing when you reach your destination, there is something seriously wrong with your packing procedures. While I do use Wrinkle Release at home, my travel clothing requires nothing more than a little steaming in the shower or a spritz of water and a little smoothing out.

The problem is, i needed for the rest of my holiday not to use it on the ship (i will use the laundry on the ship). If possible i will hand it myself to the authorities on the ship before the search. I'm going to be 1 month away from home for my holiday and for sure i will need to wash my clothes before going on my cruise. (i'm going to be 16 days in orlando before miami). I don't want to disobey the rules but is this possible

The problem is, i needed for the rest of my holiday not to use it on the ship (i will use the laundry on the ship). If possible i will hand it myself to the authorities on the ship before the search. I'm going to be 1 month away from home for my holiday and for sure i will need to wash my clothes before going on my cruise. (i'm going to be 16 days in orlando before miami). I don't want to disobey the rules but is this possible

Every hotel/motel I've ever stayed in, whether it's a $300 per night place or a Motel 6, provides an ironing board and iron, so you'll have plenty of opportunity to do laundry and iron pre and post cruise without having to bring an iron.

Hotels always seem to have an iron and an ironing board, if one is not in your room you can always request it.

If you do end up taking your iron, if/when you turn it over to the port before you board, they will give you a claim check to retrieve it after the cruise. They will not take it and keep it. There is a table next to the exit with a table full of confiscated items, irons seem to be a common item and along with a whole lot of booze bottles.

I'm always amazed at how many people take along full sized irons on vacation. Of course, I didn't even know the table existed until they confiscated my fan at security :o Now we always take a peek!

Irons are forbidden and removed from luggage; they are not allowed to be used.

This is not strictly true. We have just returned from our third RCI cruise, and each time we have taken an iron in our packed luggage which was not confiscated. Seeing as they have ALWAYS spotted any alcohol we have brought onboard, I can only assume that they have a more relaxed policy towards irons than is being made out.

We have only ever used it sparingly and taken great care to make sure it was cold before putting them away and leaving the cabin. The only problem is that it is difficult to use in such restricted space, but proved very convenient and useful for linen clothing especially, which creased terribly.

We have just returned from our third RCI cruise, and each time we have taken an iron in our packed luggage which was not confiscated. Seeing as they have ALWAYS spotted any alcohol we have brought onboard, I can only assume that they have a more relaxed policy towards irons than is being made out.

Well, you are putting lives in jeopardy when you smuggle a forbidden iron and use it on board. And alcohol is smuggled all the time. Your argument doesn't stand, but I understand what you are saying.

I'm curious as to why you chose my post to quote. Many people on this thread have mentioned irons being removed from luggage.

I have no problem with my travel steamer, and I've been taking it with me for years. It uses very little electricity, only heats water like the coffee makers they put in the suites, and stays completely cool to the touch. Nothing hot, fire-starting, or dangerous about it. I think that's why it goes through OK.

If they called me to the naughty room, I'd demonstrate it for the security officer. Actually, I hope they do someday: I'd like to get an inspection sticker on it for future cruises. So far, no one has confiscated it in about 5 years.

I just steam out the wrinkles as I unpack and hang up our clothes. Once is enough for the whole cruise, except some of DH's lighweight shirts need a spritz of steam sometimes after wearing them.

Its not reasonable when there is 2 suitcase full of clothes that need ironing. I have said before its not a safety issue it a profit issue otherwise they would ban other items that are more powerful than irons.

As some can tell from some of my posts, I am easily amused, and easily distracted. That being said, I know personally, that Irons can be a safety hazard, especially for those of us with a short attention span. Remember, where there is smoke there is fire.

Archived