Is there rough water Barcelona to Rome?

mother1

Hi:

We are thinking about taking the April 4, 2010 cruise from Barcelona to Rome. The cruise sounds wonderful. The only thing holding us back is that I get seasick. Has anyone heard how calm or rough the seas are along the coast. Thanks for your help.

Peter and Jean

Yes, the med can be rough at times, also that time of the year. I crossed once on the old Royal Princess from Mallorca to Genoa and on the Brilliance of the Seas from Naples to Barcelona and both occasions were pretty bumpy.

I suggest you take sick sickness medication with you.

Reint

The seas can never be predicted!

We, however, have had two VERY rough nights one leaving Barcelona and one when arriving. These were extremely high seas and most on the ship including the crew had problems and we had water coming in under the balcony door of a Vista Suite.

That being said we have done the Rome to Barcelona Cruise when the seas were like glass the whole way. It's all a matter of luck!

We cruised in the Med with friends and she gets seasick. She refuses to do a TA with us, preferring to stick closer to land. On that cruise we started in Lisbon and experienced some rough seas before we entered the Med, but none after that.

Mo

I have a problem with seasickness too and I have experienced it in the Med. I have started to use the patches, prescribed by doctors. They work great for me. I do not get seasick and do not have any side effects. You might want to research them and give them a try.

We experienced rough seas on two days when we took a Western Med cruise. I suffer from motion sickness on just about any movable conveyance. I use the scolpamine (sp?) patch for cruising, but am able to get by with the Relief Band on land trips. Research them both.

Whatever cruise you go on, best location to minimize seasickness is lowest deck midship. Oceania is so port intensive that more than half your waking hours is in port, so that leaves a very large chunk of seasickness prone time while you're in your cabin. I also am prone to seasickness, so I armed myself by taking meclizine BEFORE hitting rough seas. Searching this website, http://oceanweather.com/data/ , will give you an idea what the seas are like the next day, so you can decide if you wish to take the medication.

Archived