$200.00 Coupon Fraud

JeanieRich

I have actually never been to one of these "meetings" or whatever to buy them, but probably should with how often we cruise! Where can I find out information on this? I read that it's offered on certain cruises, as listed in Post #28, lol, and my ship next year is one of them. If I don't get the answer here, I'm sure I can just ask the purser's desk right?

I have actually never been to one of these "meetings" or whatever to buy them, but probably should with how often we cruise! Where can I find out information on this? I read that it's offered on certain cruises, as listed in Post #28, lol, and my ship next year is one of them. If I don't get the answer here, I'm sure I can just ask the purser's desk right?

What questions do you still have on them? Maybe if you ask, someone will have a answer.

On the Splendor, they had a desk set up where they sold them and also I believe it is the same desk where you can inquire about future cruises. I think it was next to the specialty coffee shop.

And they also had a meeting, that was announced, where they explained them and also had complimentary drinks. This was on the May 9th sailing.

Smitty

We were invited to a meeting in March on the Valor and everything (sort of) was explained. Our male host had a little too much wine and he probably didn't remember he was on the ship but we dealt with the female host. We understood what they were saying and bought four certificates. We have since used two and will probably buy a couple more on the Liberty in September. You can't lose when you get extra money (OBC) so we will keep using them.

I went to the "pitch" on the Valor last April, and it seemed if you didn't ask, they weren't telling! The future cruise thing cannot be used with the $50 off if you book within 60 day deal. Oh, well.

Long story short, all they are good for is that $100 (in MY case)OBC.

My input is the sign at the future cruise desk said "UP TO $200 off" No where did it say you would get $200 off.

Yep, and dont forget you have to send it in certified mail to get that $50 off a 5 day cruise, so you wouldnt get a whole $50 off once you take into consideration the cost of mailing it in. I havent yet used them on any short cruises.

Im hoping Carnival catches up to the modern world and puts this system on the computer so you can call up and have them applied. They are 20 years behind the times no allowing you to do this over the phone like other cruise lines. They really need some programming help there.

I didn't send mine in Certified Mail! I copied it before I sent it though! We'll see.

I went to the "pitch" on the Valor last April, and it seemed if you didn't ask, they weren't telling! The future cruise thing cannot be used with the $50 off if you book within 60 day deal. Oh, well.

Long story short, all they are good for is that $100 (in MY case)OBC.

Yeah, most of the time if you don't have some other sort of discount or promotion then these work out for some folks, but I think it's already been mentioned they aren't combineable with most other promotions, best to know the details about what they are good for before being disappointed with the restrictions and denials.

There was a future guests presentation to show pictures of the new Carnival Dream and discuss this promotion. This promotion was by invitation only but I am not sure how they decided who got an invitation. My husband, daughter (10), and I all got one. We purchased the certificate and I guess we will see how it ends up working out. They seemed clear about how they are used.

There is a "Future Vacations" desk on Liberty where you can get details and certificates without going to the invitation only "event". It was fun to see more about the Dream though.

Aleece

What questions do you still have on them? Maybe if you ask, someone will have a answer.

Well, I guess some questions would be:

Is it listed in the Capers of where this meeting/pitch will be held? Is it throughout the cruise or just the first few days?

Can I use the voucher anytime or are there some blackout dates?

Which ships can I use them on (as seeing here there are selected ones)?

Can it be used for ES bookings? (That's what we seem to book) If not, any other restrictions it can't be used with?

You pay $100 to get the voucher, which goes towards your next cruise balance, and then you also get a $100 OBC (depending on the # of days/nights) right?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks so much!

I bought one and got usps confirmation that it was received by Carnival. How long does it take for travel agent to get notice of this? It was received by Carnival on July 30.

Sometimes if you staple a $20 bill to the certificate/coupon it gets processed faster. ;)

Is it listed in the Capers of where this meeting/pitch will be held? Is it throughout the cruise or just the first few days?

It is by invitation only but you can talk to the reps throughout the cruise at their desk on deck 5 next to the coffee shop.

Can I use the voucher anytime or are there some blackout dates?

It can be used anytime, no blackout dates.

Which ships can I use them on (as seeing here there are selected ones)?

You can use it on any Carnival ship but can only buy it on 5.

Can it be used for ES bookings? (That's what we seem to book) If not, any other restrictions it can't be used with?

Yes it can used with ES.

You pay $100 to get the voucher, which goes towards your next cruise balance, and then you also get a $100 OBC (depending on the # of days/nights) right?

Right.

We got one when we were on the Liberty last year. Our only regret is that we didn't buy more!! We used it on our short October cruise, not knowing we couldn't get one on every ship. I wish they would go fleet wide with this!!

One other thing I have not seen addressed is if you travel solo. I looked at them the last time I traveled on the Liberty and decided not to because you just get half the on board credit if you travel solo.

I do agree when ever purchasing something like this it is best to read the fine print and ask questions.

• 1 year later...

Thank you all for your help and comments. I did finally get Carnival to admit they received the coupon which I sent certified and I will be going on a 7 day cruise in December, hopefully I will have a shipboard credit. I feel wiser for going through this experience and I will be very careful of things that sound too good to be true in the future :-) Carol in CA

I didn't send mine in Certified Mail! I copied it before I sent it though! We'll see.

I just got off the Legend this past Sunday and even when the CD made announcements about going by the Future Cruise desk, I specifically heard him say "get up to $200 OBC." Folks, you need to listen carefully, read the fine print and ask questions!! I'm sorry, but this just wasn't a case of "fraud." But it happens to a lot of us now and then, we get excited about a great deal and just don't pay attention to the details.

I guess I'm having trouble with the idea that other people need to protect you from yourself.

If you husband doesn't know anything about the travel plans, why didn't he ask you before he bought them?

Adults should, imo, be responsible for their own actions. We all have purchased something impulsively, but I can't see holding others responsible for that.

You are right, why do people buy things and don't know what they bought.

Could be one knows and the other don't.

We just used 2, worked great. looks like people buy them and don't have a clue what they bought. Then its time for the blame game. Its explained to you when you buy the FCC.

This falls right in with people not reading there cruise contract,

No. Not good with military.

Also, since some get confused, the $100 applied to your final payment, is the $100 you paid for the certificate. Some come away thinking they are going to get $100 off plus $100 OBC = $200, just wanted to clear up anyone still confused.

You get $100 toward your cruise and $100 OBC. So, yes, the coupon actually has a value of $200. But only refundable for the $100 paid. The OBC is a bonus.

I purchased my FCC on the Ecstasy in September, so maybe they are fleetwide now. I went to the meeting (they enticed us with door prizes including a $50 OBC) and most of it was about the Dream with the sell of FCC's at the end. She was very careful to explain exactly how it worked and I purchased one. I used it in October on our November cruise booked at senior rate and mailed it to them on a Friday. ($5.10 certified with return receipt) Monday was a postal holiday and they received it on Tuesday, credited my credit card for $100 and gave us $100 OBC that day. It worked exactly like she explained it and I intend to purchase another one this month on our cruise. :)

I agree with this; Partial blame to you for not reading the fine print but also blame to Carnival for not specifically telling you the restrictions. If it's almost too good to be true, there must be a catch.

Would you still say that if the OP was a your mother? ;) Seniors are often the target of rip-offs. Fortunately for the OP, this appears to be a misunderstanding, and she has several options.

I think they're a great deal and never found them to be misrepresented at all. You pay $100 for a certificate which gets you an extra $100 OBC on a 7 day cruise while the original $100 is applied to the total cost. We've used them and didn't even have to send the certificate in. They had it on file.

It's a free $100 credit.

We bought 10 and have used 2 ...with a 3rd to be used in December.

If you don't use them (or change your mind)...just send it back for a FULL REFUND.

LHP I bought one in July on the Freedom with no plan as of yet to use it but hope to make a decision soon. My question to you is why would you buy 10? Do you have that many cruises booked that you couldn't wait until you cruise again to purchase another one? Did they offer a deal on multiples? I don't ever have more than one at a time booked. Wish I did though. I'm just curious.

LHP I bought one in July on the Freedom with no plan as of yet to use it but hope to make a decision soon. My question to you is why would you buy 10? Do you have that many cruises booked that you couldn't wait until you cruise again to purchase another one? Did they offer a deal on multiples? I don't ever have more than one at a time booked. Wish I did though. I'm just curious.

She may have bought them just to have them on hand for when she decides to book cruises. They are good for 4 years.

In looking back over this thread from 2009, I see two things that should be mentioned. The one I purchased in October on the Ecstasy said specifically that it CAN be used with military rates. Also, the fine print was not received until the last night of the cruise after they were purchased. That is probably so that you can't back out before getting off the ship. You can supposedly get a refund if you are unhappy. I think it is a great deal. $100 free OBC on your next 7 night cruise. That's probably the best deal Carnival gives on anything.

Archived