Carnival vs Royal Caribbean

nagster

Looking to do a short labor day cruise, having been on Carnival 8 times I found the Inspiration. It is a 5 day, though we have been on it before I haven't done Grand Cayman and Cozumel in a while so I checked prices. It was 711 with taxes and charges for two/inside. Didn't want to travel too far for a short one ie looking at Tampa, Jax and PC. But just for fun I checked RC prices and they have a PC for 4 days at 169 PP, I was WOW. After checking taxes and stuff it seemed like it the taxes were $57, comparing that the five day, the taxes seem to be a lot more for a one day less cruise: approx $37 vs $57. Is this unusual??? Add to that I saw the cabins were 119sq, vs 180sq. I don't know what to do. Other info is that I wasn't too pleased with the price on the Carnival 319 pp, I have a price point I like to hit and RC did that.

Any input from y'all out there.

Looking to do a short labor day cruise, having been on Carnival 8 times I found the Inspiration. It is a 5 day, though we have been on it before I haven't done Grand Cayman and Cozumel in a while so I checked prices. It was 711 with taxes and charges for two/inside. Didn't want to travel too far for a short one ie looking at Tampa, Jax and PC. But just for fun I checked RC prices and they have a PC for 4 days at 169 PP, I was WOW. After checking taxes and stuff it seemed like it the taxes were $57, comparing that the five day, the taxes seem to be a lot more for a one day less cruise: approx $37 vs $57. Is this unusual??? Add to that I saw the cabins were 119sq, vs 180sq. I don't know what to do. Other info is that I wasn't too pleased with the price on the Carnival 319 pp, I have a price point I like to hit and RC did that.

You are not pleased with $319 p/p for 5 nights?

Not real sure what you are looking for here. But, If you are happy with the ship, where it is going, cabin and price take that one. I cruise Carnival because of Location ( 60 to 90 miles in either direction for me)and price. Carnival has no competition in this area. I have never been on an RC ship. I have heard that they are very nice. Some say food is better on Carnival. RC does have much smaller cabins than Carnival from what I have also heard. RC generaly seems to have much higher price for the same class of cabin. But that may be changing with all the prices going up for the more popular cruises.

Thanks all. It is actually 154 on RC. It's not that I am not happy with the price I just have a price point and take the itin, ports, #nights, time of year into my pricing and I come up with what I would like to pay. I try to hit between 55 and 65 per day PP for an inside. The Inspiration is 71. I might just go ahead and try RC for the first time with that price. 53 pp/perday.

I would always try to get a 5 night over a 4 night, 4 nights is just too short! Unless you are combining it with a 5 night like I am in September lol I can understand where you are coming from though, some cruise is better then no cruise. Don't forget to factor in it would be cruise #9 with Carnival so the next one you would be platinum. Either way you will enjoy it. RCCL is a good line and comprable in most ways, except fun lol IMHO

Sounds like you are maybe looking at the ship out of Miami for RCL? I wouldnt do a inside on it, and I love Voyager of the Seas, but not those small inside cabins on those ships. But some seem ok with them. Im hardly a snob about cabins, but I did it once and said never again ... and I love RCL.

I would do Carnival I guess rather than a tiny inside, but if you are younger, it might not bother you on such a short cruise. The price is sure right.

I am pretty sure it was out of port canaveral, I prob wouldn't drive to Miami or Ft Lauderdale for a short cruise. Many the number nine cruise on Carnival is very exciting for me though, might check a back to back on RC.

I am guessing you are talking about this year for this cruise. If you like Half Moon Cay so much the Carnival Fascination has a five day cruise that goes to Half Moon Cay and Nassau leaving on Sept. 5, 2009. The only problem is the interior rooms are sold out. You would have to get an ocean view room for $429 plus taxes.

Surprisingly the fascination cruises are pricey, don't know why. I live in Jax so the port is 20 mins away. Looking for cost and itin and distance to port at the mo and the inspiration is the best cost, that is funny as well because typically cruises out of Tampa seem to be priced higher.

We have been on both lines. You really can't go wrong on either. We think the food is better on Carnival, but had a great time on RCCL. Coco Cay is gorgeous, hands down the best part of the cruise. Half Moon Cay is just a tad nicer, probably because we had a cabana that day. LOL Have fun in what ever you choose!

We have done the cruise out of Jax on the Fascination. It's maiden voyage to be exact! Great cruise. We had a wonderful time. RCCL was out of Port Canaviral. Same itenary, just Coco Cay instead of Half Moon Cay of course.

I think it would be great for you to try another line. Coco Cay is great for a beach day. Monarch is an older ship, but it is a favorite of some people.

The taxes/fees are different for each cruise and so are the port charges. If you are looking for a cheap cruise, go for Royal Caribbean. It's not usual that they are cheaper than Carnival. Enjoy!

Got a deal like that on Sovereign of the Seas last year. I book with my wallet. Yes the rooms are smaller but I just need a place to sleep and shower so we didn't care. It's only for 3 days.

Go with RCI .

Bill

Thanks all. It is actually 154 on RC. It's not that I am not happy with the price I just have a price point and take the itin, ports, #nights, time of year into my pricing and I come up with what I would like to pay. I try to hit between 55 and 65 per day PP for an inside. The Inspiration is 71. I might just go ahead and try RC for the first time with that price. 53 pp/perday.

Done a lot of RCL, coming back to the CCL for next winter on the Inspiration, it fit our time line the best. Cabins are smaller, but always had a great time. It seems like the staff on the older ships goes the extra mile, maybe because the new ones get all the publicity. For the money, go for it, sounds like you have fun regardless of the cabin.

Besides, you will have a benchmark for future comparisons.

Joey

Archived