HELP - Leaving on Sunday

geneology

We are leaving from NYC this Sunday on the NCL Dawn. We (several families) were planning on bringing several cases of water bottles. The teens are not soda drinkers so we thought we would bring the bottles and the packets of flavor sticks for them. Now I have several questions. The TA said we can not do this that is why I am asking here if any one has done this. We were going to wrap the case with plastic wrap and put a copy of our luggage tag taped to the top. Will they take this with our luggage or do we have to carry the cases on with us? We are bringing 2 to 3 cases per family and do not want to have to lug water around with us until the rooms are ready.

I am new to cruising so please dont blast me if this question has been asked before. Please dont tell me how good the ships water is that is not the issue.(My FIL already lectured us on that) Ease of adding flavors for the kids and having them to bring to the beach in Bermuda works for us. Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm not flaming........truly. However thats is a LOT of water, and the ship's water really is VERY good (and I'm a bit of a water snob). Couldn't you take a single case per family, and refill the bottles with ship's tap water? A lot less hassle than all those cases per family and you'll still have bottles for the flavor sticks. (I hesitate to say just one bottle per kid......I know how kids tend to lose things).

I bring water. I freeze my water bottles. I carry them on with me. When we were on Dawn last year, we could leave our carry on stuff in a room taged and when our lunch was over we picked it up and off to our cabin. We have lunch in the main dinning room. I feel this set a nice tone for me after all that we have to do till we get on to enjoy our vacation.

I do hope thay continued this nice jesture. Gem did not in April.

I'm not flaming........truly. However thats is a LOT of water, and the ship's water really is VERY good (and I'm a bit of a water snob). Couldn't you take a single case per family, and refill the bottles with ship's tap water? A lot less hassle than all those cases per family and you'll still have bottles for the flavor sticks. (I hesitate to say just one bottle per kid......I know how kids tend to lose things).

Actually you were very polite. In my family I have a kidney issue and my daughter dehydrates easily and we both need to drink at least 3 -4 bottles a day. Having the bottles helps us keep tract better - lazy way I know!! There are six in my family alone. Breast cancer is in the family and believe it or not the Dr strongly urged we stop drinking tap water and drink and cook with only spring water. I know that it is because we are a breast cancer hot spot but that kinda makes you scared of all water. Finally, my children are older age 15 to 20 so losing water bottles are not an issue with them. Thank you for being polite and for the suggestion.

I bring water. I freeze my water bottles. I carry them on with me. When we were on Dawn last year, we could leave our carry on stuff in a room taged and when our lunch was over we picked it up and off to our cabin. We have lunch in the main dinning room. I feel this set a nice tone for me after all that we have to do till we get on to enjoy our vacation.

I do hope thay continued this nice jesture. Gem did not in April.

Mike - right?? I cant wait till Sunday. I am hoping to convince family to go to the MDR - it is a nice start to the vacation!! See you at the M&G on Monday!!

Actually you were very polite. In my family I have a kidney issue and my daughter dehydrates easily and we both need to drink at least 3 -4 bottles a day. Having the bottles helps us keep tract better - lazy way I know!! There are six in my family alone. Breast cancer is in the family and believe it or not the Dr strongly urged we stop drinking tap water and drink and cook with only spring water. I know that it is because we are a breast cancer hot spot but that kinda makes you scared of all water. Finally, my children are older age 15 to 20 so losing water bottles are not an issue with them. Thank you for being polite and for the suggestion.

you'll be amazed what is in spring water...all the minerals that are solubilized are not seen. i'm not saying it is "dirty". may i recommend you drink "purified water"...(aka reverse osmosis water - purified by a filter where ONLY the h2o molecule will pass).

examples are:

Dasani

Aquafina

Walgreens gallon of purified drinking water = 99cents.

or...

the ship's water...it is also RO water.

Yes, you can take them, even though NCL and some TA's will tell you no. I understand your sensitivity to water, but hard to know which would be better, the ships well filtered water or bottled water.

Since you are new to the boards, the link below may add some other tips for you.

you'll be amazed what is in spring water...all the minerals that are solubilized are not seen. i'm not saying it is "dirty". may i recommend you drink "purified water"...(aka reverse osmosis water - purified by a filter where ONLY the h2o molecule will pass).

examples are:

Dasani

Aquafina

Walgreens gallon of purified drinking water = 99cents.

or...

the ship's water...it is also RO water.

OK - excuse my ignorance - does the filtration system take out all the Chemicals that can be found in tap water? If it can then your idea of taking less water bottles and refill them would work. I can still mix flavors in them and can still take the lazy way out of keeping tract of how much water is being consumed in a day!! It is easier to have the water bottles esp when in Bermuda!!

If that is the case when we go home - I will switch to Walgreen's purified water as that is a bargain!! Thanks.

OK - excuse my ignorance - does the filtration system take out all the Chemicals that can be found in tap water? If it can then your idea of taking less water bottles and refill them would work. I can still mix flavors in them and can still take the lazy way out of keeping tract of how much water is being consumed in a day!! It is easier to have the water bottles esp when in Bermuda!!

If that is the case when we go home - I will switch to Walgreen's purified water as that is a bargain!! Thanks.

RO water filtration does exactly that. I hope you didn't think i was bashing you. (in fact, i just would hate to see you lug all that water on the ship. but on this cruise do as you had planned. i am not a doctor, but would be a good question to ask your physician). In fact, I know many people (including myself) who are particular about their water from just a taste perspective. You can make a similarity of spring water to those who have well water in their homes. And as those folks know...regular testing needs to be done for leeching.

just to further add...you'll find RO water is cheaper because it takes regular municipal water and purifies it.

OP...yes, the ship's systems (reverse osmosis) (google it, if you like) will remove all of the chemicals & solubles found in city tap water.

It's much purer than spring water.

As for the cases of plastic bottles, here's a suggestion.... buy a few bottles of Arizona Iced Tea (comes in 596 ml glass bottles). Take the label off, and you have a really nice re-usable glass bottle.

Does much less harm to the environment, there's no plastics leeching into the water (which is why they advise not to refill water bottles), and you probably only need 2 or 3 per person, refilling them onboard. MUCH easier to carry.

Plus, the diet iced tea (I like the blueberry green tea) is only 10 calories and surprisingly tasty. http://www.drinkarizona.com/

Stephen

The water on the ship maybe as great as everyone says, but my problem is the containers that we put it in, they are cleaned and some times not so clean smell like bleach to me. So maybe this time when my bottle gets empty, I will try the ships water in my bottle. Then I will know for sure???

MDR opening day is the best. See you soon ! !

You can buy water bottles in Bermuda! The Dockyard Pharmacy sells large bottles of water. And supermarkets too all over the island. This is a bottled-water drinker nation.

Here in Bermuda we collect rainwater on roofs and it drained down to the watertanks below the houses. That is our tap water. We use it for everything except drink it straight. So we buy water to drink.

Take enough water to last 3 days with you to board the ship and buy the rest in Bermuda. This is my suggestion but the water is of course more expensive here.

Hope you have a great sail to the island! This week has been gorgeous for the cruisers. Dawn is here right now and she looks so beautiful across the water.

I looked thru all the post and could not find who said they "freeze" their bottled water.

No lecture....just a gentle informative reminder that "freezing water" in plastic water bottles is a "huge no no" . The plastic leeches into the water. If "cancer" is a concern then most definitely "do not freeze" your water bottles.

You can google this warning if you'd like....it has lately become a well known warning.

OP...yes, the ship's systems (reverse osmosis) (google it, if you like) will remove all of the chemicals & solubles found in city tap water.

It's much purer than spring water.

As for the cases of plastic bottles, here's a suggestion.... buy a few bottles of Arizona Iced Tea (comes in 596 ml glass bottles). Take the label off, and you have a really nice re-usable glass bottle.

Does much less harm to the environment, there's no plastics leeching into the water (which is why they advise not to refill water bottles), and you probably only need 2 or 3 per person, refilling them onboard. MUCH easier to carry.

Plus, the diet iced tea (I like the blueberry green tea) is only 10 calories and surprisingly tasty. http://www.drinkarizona.com/

Stephen

Wow - way to make a person feel guilty about the environment. LOL I agree with the glass idea but I have concerns about breakage. Maybe we will skip the water bottles completely and bring a refillable water bottle for everyone. Problem solved!!

Archived