SELF SERVICE LAUNDRY: Should RCCL Have Them?

MrPete

Do You Think RCCL should have Self Service Launderettes?  

590 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think RCCL should have Self Service Launderettes?

• Yes, I wish they would have them
    • No, I would not use it
    • I Don't Care

We usually pack enough clothes to last the entire trip, but there were times where we had to send a ferw items to the laundry service. I think if RCI did do this...I really hate to be a pessimist, but hearing some people whining on these boards over the most stupid stuff, but I think people would complain about the cost or the type of soap...I can hear it now.... "Little Billy cant use Tide because of the chemicals in it" ...or.." There are never any free machines to use"... or... "People put thier stuff in the dryers and forget about them"....Tell me you've never been to a laundramat in your life and saw this....hahaha ;) I did when I lived in a apartment, so I vote I dont care cuz...if its there and I need a few items washed and a machine is available, cool, I can do it, if its not there I can send to the laundry...so , Im on the fence.

I know I sound like a whiner too, but you have to admit that was funny and true!

We just did a HAL cruise this past May and our cabin was right across the hall from a laundry room. While I did not wash any clothes, it was wonderful to be able to pop across the hall and press something quickly. I really liked being able to iron out those creases you get in your slacks from sitting at dinner for 1 1/2 hours!

I thought there would be a steady stream of people using this facility, but I never saw anyone else in there. When we were on Princess a few years ago the laundry rooms were always packed with people ironing their clothes.

I agree with this opinion. My longest cruise so far was 4 nights and laundry never even crossed my mind. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd want to do laundry on any cruise, regardless of length. But that does not mean I think the facilities should not exist. Why shouldn't they? Others would use them.

Great Post!:)

:cj

Have you ever been on a 28 day cruise (Transatlantic/Med.)? The laundromat is a life saver.:)

We've been on three cruises that were each 29 days. One that included Hawaii and the Panama Canal, one that included Buenos Aries to San Diego and one that went from Valparaiso, Chile to Lisbon.............all very warm climates.

We used the ships laundry services and found it to be well worth the money. It was a sure way to use up and not lose all the OBCs that we had.

Of course, packing properly is essential when doing consecutive cruises that amount to that many days. Pack for 11 days and wear things twice.:D

Guest maddycat

I personally wouldn't do laundry on a cruise. If I need anything washed or pressed I send it out. RCCL's laundry prices are pretty reasonable. I don't like the idea of having passenger laundry rooms. Too many things can go wrong. Put in too much detergent and there is a flood. Leave an iron on and there is a fire.

Too many things can go wrong. Leave an iron on and there is a fire.

The irons on HAL had a timer. You set it at how long you wanted to iron and if you finished before the time was up you just turned it off. If you accidentally left it on it would shut off when the time was up.

The only thing putting in self service laundries would accomplish would be to change the complaints posts from 'why are there no self serve laundries' to ones about the outrageous prices they charge for washer/dryers/detergent/etc and ones about laundry hogs.

We usually pack enough clothes to last the entire trip, but there were times where we had to send a ferw items to the laundry service. I think if RCI did do this...I really hate to be a pessimist, but hearing some people whining on these boards over the most stupid stuff, but I think people would complain about the cost or the type of soap...I can hear it now.... "]"Little Billy cant use Tide because of the chemicals in it" ...or.." There are never any free machines to use"... or... "People put thier stuff in the dryers and forget about them"....Tell me you've never been to a laundramat in your life and saw this....hahaha ;) I did when I lived in a apartment, so I vote I dont care cuz...if its there and I need a few items washed and a machine is available, cool, I can do it, if its not there I can send to the laundry...so , Im on the fence.

I know I sound like a whiner too, but you have to admit that was funny and true!

I've already voted and put in my 2 cents but golfer mentioned something that I had overlooked. I have an allergy to parabens and need to be very careful of what detergents, lotions, shampoos that I use. I would hate to use the laundry service and end up breaking out in a terrible itchy rash for the remainder of my cruise. :eek: I always have to bring my entire bathroom with me - lotions, shampoos, cleanser, soap, etc. I can't use any of the ship's items unless it has the ingredients listed. Same for the spa - I always have to ask to see the ingredient list and I can tell you they are usually not very forthcoming. I guess they think I'm going to steal their formula :rolleyes:

why on earth would you want to do laundry on your cruise :confused:

AMEN to that!!! :D I am not doing any laundry on my vacation, I can stay home and do laundry with my own machines and products if I feel the need to clean things! :p When I am away my "domestic skills" tend to go into hibernation, just the way it should be, IMHO :rolleyes:

AMEN to that!!! :D I am not doing any laundry on my vacation, I can stay home and do laundry with my own machines and products if I feel the need to clean things! :p When I am away my "domestic skills" tend to go into hibernation, just the way it should be, IMHO :rolleyes:

The poll question wasn't "Would you want to do laundry on your cruise?" The question was "Do You Think RCCL should have Self Service Launderettes?" At this point it appears by almost 2 to 1 the overwhelming answer is YES. While I realize Royal will never do it, I think it's obvious those against the idea are clearly in the minority.

Vacation= escape from daily life for enjoyment. I would never do laundry while cruising. Just as I would never mow the lawn or change the oil on the car while on vacation. Plus being a guy, I can always find something to wear in the already worn clothes LOL....

YES!! We were lucky enough to be on a 27 night cruise through the Middle East and India and would definitely have loved a laundry. Probably couldn't smell each other by the end of the trip but I'm sure the locals could!:D

The poll question wasn't "Would you want to do laundry on your cruise?" The question was "Do You Think RCCL should have Self Service Launderettes?" At this point it appears by almost 2 to 1 the overwhelming answer is YES. While I realize Royal will never do it, I think it's obvious those against the idea are clearly in the minority.

Out of 550 votes only 12 more people have voted yes than voted something else. Hardly an overwhelming groundswell -- even of this small portion of a small segment of the cruising public.

I've already voted and put in my 2 cents but golfer mentioned something that I had overlooked. I have an allergy to parabens and need to be very careful of what detergents, lotions, shampoos that I use. I would hate to use the laundry service and end up breaking out in a terrible itchy rash for the remainder of my cruise. :eek: I always have to bring my entire bathroom with me - lotions, shampoos, cleanser, soap, etc. I can't use any of the ship's items unless it has the ingredients listed. Same for the spa - I always have to ask to see the ingredient list and I can tell you they are usually not very forthcoming. I guess they think I'm going to steal their formula :rolleyes:

Question, do you use the ships towels and sleep on their sheets with no problem?

All cruise ships should have washers, driers, iron on every deck. Since the airlines are charging for bags it is hard to pack for cruises 7days or longer. Princess ships have laundermats and I have used the iron many times never washed clothes before. But may start now. We travel on RCCL the most and really miss being able to press clothes myself,you don't realize something needs touchup till you put it on,so there laundry service is not convenient.Also many of my things I like to wash by hand and would use the driers.

Question, do you use the ships towels and sleep on their sheets with no problem?

I've not cruised with RCCL before but never had a problem with any other cruise lines or hotels. I see your point! I'm sure whatever they use for their laundry they would probably use for the guest laundry :o

I always do laundry on vacation - you don't have to bring as much and when you get home - the laundry is already done!!

I did see something posted earlier in this thread about $20.00 for a bag full of laundry - is that on Royal Caribbean? I would definitely utilize this service.

YES, I am ALL for having do-it-yourself laundry available. We were on B2B for 28 days and they didn't offer the $20 bag special at any time. I really didn't like having our undies hanging around the cabin drying!!

We're doing a 17 nighter plus a 5 night pre-cruise later this year along with a long flight to Australia and back. It would be really nice to do at least one load of laundry during the 28 days we're going to be gone. Thank goodness we had our airline flights booked before the one check-in bag per person for International flights was instituted!! We can at least bring a few more clothes!!

• 1 month later...

Yes, they should havethem...When you are going on what amounts to a 2-week vacation, it's helpful to have them available. WIth luggage restrictions on planes so tight these days, most people don't overload the suitcases. So being able to take care of business when you're at sea..in between ports..would be an advantage.

yes, yes, yes!

The last thing I want to do is nine days worth of laundry when I get home! I really like RCCL but Princess has it right on this one...

el henry

Just returned (yesterday) from an 18 day cruise on Crown Princess - personally I would rather deal with the laundry at home without having to fight for a washer and/or dryer in a very small laundry room. We did laundry once in 18 days but could have survived without it and still stayed within the airline weight limits. Like many other cruisers we carefully plan what we take . . . but will never win the prize for the best dressed on board.

• 2 months later...

If I was doing a week in the tropics it wouldn't matter to me as much, but looking at a 2 week Alaska cruisetour, I'm going to need more clothes due to changeable weather. Even if the airlines weren't charging so much for luggage, how much do you want to be hauling through airports? Trust me, by the time I get off the ship it's likely to not be pretty! If you have ever had a family member who is sensitive to perfumes & such in detergents, sending "delicates" to be laundered in who knows what is a gamble that could be very uncomfortable! I never gave this much of a thought until a cross country trip where something in my luggage leaked all over my winter jacket. The hotel had laundry facilities & it was a simple matter to toss it into the washer, go off for a drink & continue like nothing ever happened. I can anticipate scenerios that would be greatly improved with the option to manage your own stuff.

Archived