SELF SERVICE LAUNDRY: Should RCCL Have Them?

MrPete

Do You Think RCCL should have Self Service Launderettes?  

590 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think RCCL should have Self Service Launderettes?

• Yes, I wish they would have them
    • No, I would not use it
    • I Don't Care

I don't think a vacation is sleeping outside with mosquitoes, having no toilet or shower, and trying to catch your dinner......but many other people do.

Others rent a vacation home and prepare some meals to save money and *yes* have to do dishes on vacation! :eek:

So what's the big deal about doing some laundry? :rolleyes:

What's suprising to me are posts against having laundry centers.

I can't imagine doing laundry on a cruise ship, but it sounds like a good idea for people that need to.

Why should I have the opinion they shouldn't have that choice?

I don't think a vacation is sleeping outside with mosquitoes, having no toilet or shower, and trying to catch your dinner......but many other people do.

Others rent a vacation home and prepare some meals to save money and *yes* have to do dishes on vacation! :eek:

So what's the big deal about doing some laundry? :rolleyes:

Most amazing are those voting no, and are being vocal, thinking that just because they wouldn't use the facilities, even for an iron, that others shouldn't even have that choice.

The poll itself is showing otherwise.

I think it should be a option. I know that you folks that only cruise on RCI don't see how popular self service laundry's are on other ships. Many people do not like the way the ships laundry do your clothes (shrinkage, loss, etc) and would rather do it themselves cost not being the only factor. This is evident on Princess where Elite Captains Club members get free laundry and still go to the self serve.

I think the board ate my last post!

The reason I voted against it is because of the waste of water, electricity, the extra chemicals used to wash, etc. I know people who will use a full load to was a couple of baby tshirts and socks and not think anything of it. Just imagine the waste from several hundred - I'm on vacation and Lil Jonny has to have this tshirt for dinner tonight, plus I'm on vacation and I'm paying for it in my cruise fare so who cares, etc, etc. mentality. We see that expressed on here constantly on all different matters.

Plus the loss of use for the cabin space and the expense of maintaining for RCL. If they decide to charge - they will be blasted mercilessly on here because so and so doesn't charge, etc. It has to be expensed somewhere and this is the same company that discontinued the pillow chocolates to save a buck. So, sorry, I'm not paying for your laundry.

I vote yes for those who want to use them. Especially with a family.

I don't care but if there was one I would probably use once for under things. Laundry is not that hard. Put them in and turn on the switch. I don't mean the ironing part, if I needed something pressed I send it out.

I would like to see one for those that want it.

I would like to see laundry facilities onboard for those who want to use them. I am one. I don't happen to think $25 a bag is a reasonable price for sending laundry out. (I do use it as there is no other option but it takes 2 days to get that back most of the time.) But that's me. I also won't send out undies.

I find it a pain in the butt weighing baggage all the time to be sure we're under the allowable amount without being charged an extra $50 a bag. With laundry facilities I wouldn't have to pack as much.

I'm willing to do laundry on a seaday either really early in the morning or really late at night, doesn't matter which.

I would like to see laundry facilities onboard for those who want to use them. I am one. I don't happen to think $25 a bag is a reasonable price for sending laundry out. (I do use it as there is no other option but it takes 2 days to get that back most of the time.) But that's me. I also won't send out undies.

I find it a pain in the butt weighing baggage all the time to be sure we're under the allowable amount without being charged an extra $50 a bag. With laundry facilities I wouldn't have to pack as much.

I'm willing to do laundry on a seaday either really early in the morning or really late at night, doesn't matter which.

Ditto!!!

The reason I voted against it is because of the waste of water, electricity, the extra chemicals used to wash, etc. .

Might be off topic a bit but I believe wash water AKA grey water is recycled and reused within the ship. I thought I saw a special on TV about it. :confused:

I voted yes, simply because I am planning on having to pay for laundry on my upcoming B2B, and I would take the time to do it myself if it was offered. I would be able to pack less clothes, and have more room in my suitcase to bring things home.

If I was not planning longer cruises, I probably would never use the laundry service.

I have cruised with Disney 9x and loved the self serve laundry.

I am a morning person and it was great to throw a load in. Yes there were some waits sometimes but by and large not bad. My last cruise on Carnival I did the 20.00 bag and it was great. So this year with RCI I absolutely will invest in the laundry. I hate coming back from vacation with full suitcases of dirty clothes.

We voted no, but the poll is sort of silly anyway, since RCL is a private company and not a democracy. If folks want to spend thousands on a vacation and then spend hours of it in a laundry room to save $30, then they can sail on the Carnival Corp lines that offer this "service."

If folks want to spend thousands on a vacation and then spend hours of it in a laundry room to save $30,

OMG I laughed out loud that was so funny. Hours-on maybe one load if needed!!!

Thank the good lord that is not the case!!

Seriously-you never know for what or why someone may want to do a load. I know some things should not be shipped filthy dirty because the smell or maybe a stain of an article of clothing you are not ready to toss. And for whatever reason-they may want to do it themselves. Thirty bucks is thirty bucks. Let some folks smuggle in alcohol to save a few bucks-and let some pop in a load of bleached whites!!! :p

I think it's tacky to do laundry on vacation! Do you same people take food with you on land based vacations to cut back on the cost of restaurants? If a person can't afford to go on a vacation without cutting corners, save for a while longer ungtil you can!

I think it's tacky to do laundry on vacation! Do you same people take food with you on land based vacations to cut back on the cost of restaurants? If a person can't afford to go on a vacation without cutting corners, save for a while longer ungtil you can!

OK-so what about all the folks that bring their own cases of soda and water-should they stay home a few more weeks??

What's it to ya if they want to do laundry.:confused:

On our 11-day NCL cruise we used both the $15 "All you can stuff" special AND the self-service COIN-OPERATED laundry. Being a night owl, I found the laundromat relatively unused in the late hours. I took a book with me and had a quiet, enjoyable, "tacky" time. :rolleyes: Sadly, I hear that now NCL has removed the self-serve laundries??

I think it's a handy option to have if you feel like diverting some of that laundry money toward a shore excursion or a night at a specialty restaurant instead.

Some would have us saving up forever to take the "perfect cruise" on which we could afford to spend as much as we wished. Sadly, the silver spoon in my mouth that I was born with had to be hocked for diapers and baby food.:p I've been paying my own way ever since, so I get to say how my money is spent, thank you very much.

BTW, the poll has the "yes' votes are in the lead. Imagine that!:eek:

I would use it! Doing laundry isn't a big hassle! Throw the clothes in, go to the pool, go back and put in the dryer, go back to the pool....voila---clean clothes! It's not like you're beating them on a rock or anything!

I LOVE hotels that have laundries....you don't have to pack as much, and if you happen to spill on something, you're not "short" an outfit!

Oh, that's too funny! Wilma Flintstone came to mind. I've found the laundry facitlies on Princess to be really handy. I did exactly what you said, tossed the clothes in the washer, went to the Windjammer, came back and ... clean clothes. My husband is tall - 6'2". Packing his shoes, suits, underwear, swim trunks, shirts, slacks, jeans, etc. for 14 days is a challenge when flying.

We voted no, but the poll is sort of silly anyway, since RCL is a private company and not a democracy. If folks want to spend thousands on a vacation and then spend hours of it in a laundry room to save $30, then they can sail on the Carnival Corp lines that offer this "service."
No RCL is not a private company it is a public company listed om the NYSC,

Fine. It's a privately run company, not a public utility. We can run polls that cruises should be free but that won't make it so. The decision to offer or not offer guest laundry rooms is a business decision, not a popularity contest.

Lots of companies list on the NYSE (not NYSC) but that doesn't mean that they base their decisions on internet chat board polls.

Fine. It's a privately run company, not a public utility. We can run polls that cruises should be free but that won't make it so. The decision to offer or not offer guest laundry rooms is a business decision, not a popularity contest.

Lots of companies list on the NYSE (not NYSC) but that doesn't mean that they base their decisions on internet chat board polls.

LOL... Lee is feisty tonight!:D I guess those margaritas must be kickin' in, eh?;)

I agree though, unless it's a month long cruise, the last thing I want to do on a cruise is laundry.

LOL... Lee is feisty tonight!:D I guess those margaritas must be kickin' in, eh?;)

I agree though, unless it's a month long cruise, the last thing I want to do on a cruise is laundry.

Fred, you may be right! I agree, unless I'm on for ages, the last place ou'd find me is the laundry room.

What kind of company it is, is basically irrelevant. The fact that they are listed on the NY Stock Exchange does not mean that they operate their company based on opinion polls and I doubt that the stockholders are intimately involved in setting company policy, so no poll here is likely to cause them to change this policy, especially if it was put in place for safety reasons, and if they instituted it in order to increase revenues, it is apparently working since they have not reversed their decision. It would seem to indicate that they do not believe it is costing them a significant amount of business or that they save money by eliminating the costs associated with operating and maintaining self-service laundries, and gain revenue by offering professional laundry and dry cleaning services to their guests. They are a "for profit" company and most of their business decisions are directed towards that end.:rolleyes:

What's suprising to me are posts against having laundry centers.

I can't imagine doing laundry on a cruise ship, but it sounds like a good idea for people that need to.

Why should I have the opinion they shouldn't have that choice?

Most amazing are those voting no, and are being vocal, thinking that just because they wouldn't use the facilities, even for an iron, that others shouldn't even have that choice.

The poll itself is showing otherwise.

Ditto. Why do people that don't want to do laundry, and no one is forcing them to, try to deny the opportunity for others that do want to? How does it affect them???:confused:

I, for one, work out every day of my life. Sweaty work out clothes really start to smell. I don't trust anyone else with my stuff. I don't put a lot of my clothes in the dryer, as they are not supposed to be put in the dryer. Nor do I want some strange person handling my underwear. So what is wrong with having the option? Doing laundry is not that hard. The machine does all the work.

I wouldn't vacuum or clean the bathroom, but laundry? Come on.

If you don't want to do laundry, DON'T.:rolleyes:

Archived