SELF SERVICE LAUNDRY: Should RCCL Have Them?

MrPete

Do You Think RCCL should have Self Service Launderettes?  

590 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think RCCL should have Self Service Launderettes?

• Yes, I wish they would have them
    • No, I would not use it
    • I Don't Care

We voted no, but the poll is sort of silly anyway, since RCL is a private company and not a democracy. If folks want to spend thousands on a vacation and then spend hours of it in a laundry room to save $30, then they can sail on the Carnival Corp lines that offer this "service."
Well, the cruise does cost thousands, but that's the only thing with which I can agree.

Being able to pack fewer clothes = not being forced to check luggage on the plane, which saves $15 x each bag x each flight. So a person who would've checked one suitcase could save $30 just by traveling with a carry-on only.

Unless there's something I'm not doing, dropping two loads of laundry into a machine takes about 10 minutes . . . returning to switch it to the dryer takes another 10 . . . and then folding it'll require probably 20 minutes. So instead of "hours", two loads of laundry would actually take more like 40 minutes of hands-on time. And it would cost about eight dollars (assuming $2 for each machine).

In contrast, sending just one shirt and one pair of shorts out to the ship's laundry is something like eight dollars. The two loads of wash above could contain probably ten sets of shirts/shorts . . . so for the cost of ONE CLEAN OUTFIT, you could have TEN CLEAN OUTFITS (a conservative estimate, probably two loads would hold more than ten outfits). Ten clean outfits would cost about $80.

So if a couple saved $30 by not checking one suitcase, and they get ten clean outfits from 40 minutes of work . . . they're saving about $120. If that could be converted into a paycheck, this couple would be earning $180/hour.

And if you still say, "No way, I wouldn't give up one minute of vacation, much less 40 minutes, not to save any amount of money" . . . well, first, I don't believe it because people do much more foolish things to "save" on vacation -- attending time share promotions comes to mind -- but that's fine. If self-serve machines were available onboard, you'd be 100% free to walk right on by them.

My understanding is that both Cunard and Silversea have self-serve laundries. If it is such a bad thing to do on a cruise why do folks on these premium lines need them?

I've cruised HAL, Princess, Carnival, RCI and Celebrity. On the 2 cruises on the latter 2 lines, we drove to the port and simply overpacked. On the other lines we flew, took one suitcase each and had a lot of down time on the ships to do a load. Very convenient.

Way I see it, those who don't want to do laundry would have more lounge chairs available around the pool.

YES

On princess we used them THREE times.

14 day cruise + 3 days hotel before and 3 days after = 20 days.

Now think about the airline baggage limit.

Then consider the range of clothing needed:

Formal for formal nights

Beachwear/shorts/tshirts for southern europe

Sweaters/pants for northern europe

Then shoes!

Formal, sandals, two pairs of sneakers (if youre walking around europe, do NOT depend on one pair)

Only room to pack for 7 days!

I wouldnt do laundry on a shorter cruise or vacation, but sometimes its pretty much ESSENTIAL.

Ever hear of a "suggestion box"?

If you think the cruise lines don't keep a finger on the pulse of the huge database of cruisers past, current, and future that resides here, you will probably be a bit surprised.

Besides, wasn't there some hubbub recently about RCCI and an online rah-rah group associated with them?

http://consumerist.com/5166291/royal-caribbean-caught-infiltrating-review-sites-with-viral-marketing-team

Hmmmm....

DW and I travel from the UK for our cruises out of Florida, so absolutely - YES!!!

It took four cruises for me to persuade her to try RCI simply because she couldn't iron her clothes, whereas she could on Carnival.

They have a champagne bar, a library, a fitness club, a massive area for kids (none of which I use), how they can't fit a small laundry in for those that want to use them I have no idea.

No brainer - if you don't want to do your washing, would you care if the facility was available to those that did? Would be a more pertinent question.

I wish they had them, would be nice for those who would choose to use them.

I did laundry once on a cruise. We cruised Carnival Spirit from San Diego and were doing a land based stay after the 8 night cruise. Rather than pack enough clothes for 2 weeks, we did a load of laundry before disembarking. Made life easier for me. :) With the restrictions and cost of luggage these days, it saves money to do laundry if you are on a longer vacation.

Ever hear of a "suggestion box"?

If you think the cruise lines don't keep a finger on the pulse of the huge database of cruisers past, current, and future that resides here, you will probably be a bit surprised.

Besides, wasn't there some hubbub recently about RCCI and an online rah-rah group associated with them?

http://consumerist.com/5166291/royal-caribbean-caught-infiltrating-review-sites-with-viral-marketing-team

To say the Royal Champions was a bad PR move is an understatement. After finding out about that group, I read every post as "wonder if they are a Royal ... wonder if they are posting rah rah rah to be invited into that secret society?" I kept telling myself "don't be petty ... who cares ... ignore the flack ..." And, yet I did care, and I'm happy it's dead and bured. Ah, I've deviated from the subject at hand. A laundry is wonderful on 10+ day cruises for all the reasons stated in this post.

I think it's tacky to do laundry on vacation! Do you same people take food with you on land based vacations to cut back on the cost of restaurants? If a person can't afford to go on a vacation without cutting corners, save for a while longer ungtil you can!

First we have "The Clothes Police" who want everyone to dress to their standards. Now we have "The Laundry Police" who think that it is "tacky" for some of us to clean our own clothes. "The Clothes Police" want everyone to dress in a tux or a suit, but "The Laundry Police" don't seem to care if we have clean socks or underwear as long as they don't see it (or as long as they don't see us washing it). Go figure!

And yes I have been known to take food with me or purchase food at a store on land based vacations. I believe that it is called a picnic! Imagine not having all of your meals at a full priced sit down restaurant. How tacky!

For those who think that just because RCCL is privately owned that they don't listen to us, consider the fact that most businesses do indeed listen to what their customers want. I believe that some might call it a good business practice!

I think it should be a option. I know that you folks that only cruise on RCI don't see how popular self service laundry's are on other ships. Many people do not like the way the ships laundry do your clothes (shrinkage, loss, etc) and would rather do it themselves cost not being the only factor. This is evident on Princess where Elite Captains Club members get free laundry and still go to the self serve.

I agree. I'm platinum on Carnival and Princess and can get my laundry done for free, but I still prefer to do it myself for the reasons you listed. My husband sends his out, but most of the time I do my own.:)

And if you still say, "No way, I wouldn't give up one minute of vacation, much less 40 minutes, not to save any amount of money" . . . well, first, I don't believe it because people do much more foolish things to "save" on vacation -- attending time share promotions comes to mind -- but that's fine. If self-serve machines were available onboard, you'd be 100% free to walk right on by them.

Hey, you started the poll. If you listed "no, I wouldn't use them" as one of the choices, then it seems strange to be so critical of those making that choice. One presumes you started the poll to see folks' opinions and not just to have 100% of the people agree with you but who knows? :rolleyes:

I wish those who are against self-serve laundries would be specific in why it is a problem for them. I don't do the rock climbing wall, skating rink, or the pool and I have no objection to these facilities onboard.

I've noticed that on the other lines I cruise, many people find the laundry a great "amenity" on a cruise ship.

Hey, you started the poll. If you listed "no, I wouldn't use them" as one of the choices, then it seems strange to be so critical of those making that choice. One presumes you started the poll to see folks' opinions and not just to have 100% of the people agree with you but who knows? :rolleyes:

No she didn't.

I did.

And that based on the other thread where someone claimed that more people would prefer NOT to have a launderette on the ship.

I wish those who are against self-serve laundries would be specific in why it is a problem for them. I don't do the rock climbing wall, skating rink, or the pool and I have no objection to these facilities onboard.

I've noticed that on the other lines I cruise, many people find the laundry a great "amenity" on a cruise ship.

I think that to say there are people who don't want a laundry room available means they are against others having it is a bit extreme. Folks have explained why they would never bother to do "chores" while they are away but I don't think anyone has said that others shouldn't. The poll asked whether RCL should have a laundry room but the selections were not yes or no. The "no, I wouldn't use it" is the closest to what I feel so I chose that. Closer to what I actually feel is "I don't care and would never use it if there was one" but that was not a choice. I do like the suggestion of whoever it was that if folks were off doing laundry, deck chairs would be more freely available.

Some people choose to bring babies along and spend their vacation time changing diapers, bathing and feeding them and cleaning up vomit. That isn't work?? Then they "waste" their vacation time in a room while the baby naps. But a few trips to the laundry room is either too much for some of you to handle or you're too good to do it on your vacation. :rolleyes:

Yes, but you still only get one vote.

True. My point, before everybody got angry and defensive, was that the vote means nothing since none of us (I presume) sits on the RCL board of directors and it's still a company and not a democracy.

Um, no. I didn't start the poll. I came in rather late on the discussion.

True. My point, before everybody got angry and defensive, was that the vote means nothing since none of us (I presume) sits on the RCL board of directors and it's still a company and not a democracy.

Yes, and they can do as they like.

Just like us! ;)

Archived