Royal Caribbean Takes Care of the Chair Hogs

MrPete

This was actually on the ABC nightline news the other night. Finally to help the Germans, one travel agency actually pre"sells" reserved chairs at the resorts. Brits are out of luck. What a hoot. What ever happened to first come first serve, without hording or hogging. We are not a very gracious bunch of generations.:o

This is too funny! A couple of years ago we rented a condo on New Smyrna Beach. There was a group of German tourists staying there, and every morning, VERY early, they would be out putting their towels on the chairs.

We found it amusing when it rained one morning, and their towels got soaked. :cool:

Midnight comedians

babies in hot tubs

chair hogs

bringing food off the ship

bring food on the ship

standing in lines

bad customer service

missing the ship

You forgot:

removing gratuities

carnival shore excursions vs independent operators

smuggling liquor

lol

Why, you take your chair with you, of course! :D

Best response on this Board!

I think I will try that...I never hog a chair, and I usually lay out on the deck above the pool...but the mental picture of everyone bringing their pool chair to the bathroom, to the buffet, to the bar - well, that is priceless!

Thanks for the giggle!

I love Carnival, but my one complaint (actually one of two) is that they are very lax about enforcing rules. I'd love to see them adopt this policy! It's good to know Royal Caribbean enforces their chair hog rule. I've never sailed with them but will now consider it--even though I hardly ever use the chairs.

Do I read this right? You are considering RC because RC enforces the no chair hog rule? Wow, you must be an easy sell. :D

We are from England and when we used to go on vacation it was mainly the Germans putting their towels out, when we were in Greece once we couldn't believe how early they would get up to put their towels out - until we were walking by the pool late one night and saw them putting their towels out then!!!

Ok, I will openly admit it. I am a "chair hog" as everyone here likes to say and I am not ashamed to say it. If the only way I can get a chair by the pool is to go there early and save a few, then so be it. I am an early riser and my family is not, so I get out of the cabin early with my book, grab coffee and sit by the pool reading. Guess what......everyone else is free to do the same. Stop whining and complaining like you own the ship. The chairs are empty, I am there and know my family will be there at some point, so chairs are saved for them.

Sorry, everyone else will just have to deal with it.

Ok, I will openly admit it. I am a "chair hog" as everyone here likes to say and I am not ashamed to say it. If the only way I can get a chair by the pool is to go there early and save a few, then so be it. I am an early riser and my family is not, so I get out of the cabin early with my book, grab coffee and sit by the pool reading. Guess what......everyone else is free to do the same. Stop whining and complaining like you own the ship. The chairs are empty, I am there and know my family will be there at some point, so chairs are saved for them.

And this thread goes nuclear in 5 .... 4 .... 3 .... 2 .... 1 ....

You stay in the chair? Then you are not a hog. You are using it. It is when you put your towel/book/one flip or flop/bottle of lotion, etc. on 4 charis right in front of the pool and then go back to your room, sleep, shower, have breakfast, meet with the captain, whatever and return 2-3 hours later that makes you a chair hog. If you get on deck, get your chairs and your family joins you later after you have stayed there that it is acceptable.

I really am not trying to do that, but I am sure I am not the only "chair reserver" (I am offended by chair hog :)). Believe me, at 7:30am, all the chairs are open for anyone who wants them.

I don't doubt that. I'm just saying that some valkyrie is going to descend upon this thread, and either not read the part about you sitting there, or decide that you're shouldn't be saving chairs and set their flamethrower to high. Personally, I don't care. I don't need to be poolside at all times.

You stay in the chair? Then you are not a hog. You are using it. It is when you put your towel/book/one flip or flop/bottle of lotion, etc. on 4 charis right in front of the pool and then go back to your room, sleep, shower, have breakfast, meet with the captain, whatever and return 2-3 hours later that makes you a chair hog. If you get on deck, get your chairs and your family joins you later after you have stayed there that it is acceptable.

I dont dissappear for hours at a time, but I am not in the chair continuously. I may grab breakfast for 30 - 40 minutes, but to me, that is no different than being in the pool for the same amount of time. I know that bothers some people here.

Don't book a cruise based on "pool policy" by RCCL. Our last three cruises were on RCCL and they TRY to enforce the 30 minutes but they do not want confrontation so most saved chairs stay saved.

Early in the morning we watched the pool attendants marking saved chairs with masking tape but nothing was ever done about the saved chairs. The one close to us still had the masking tape on it after lunch. (with the towel & book)

Is there a charge for the serenity area? What are the hours of the enclosed area? (looks like the lower level on the ship plans) .

Is there a charge for the Thalassotherapy pool in the spa area? Can you buy a pass?

I searched the Carnival web site but couldn't find the answers.

Thanks!

NO Charge for serenity area. Never really closes. You can always go there. Hot tubs stay open as long as the rest of them.

Yes,there is a charge for the pool in the spa.

Sorry to you as well. If I'm looking for a chair, and yours are the only ones available, they will transfer ownership to me.

Yes, I would probably give up one, only because I am on vacation and dont need the hassle of arguing with someone like you. However, as I said earlier, you are free to come early and choose where you want to sit. Otherwise, you may be in a spot you do not want to be.

Actually, they did say they save a few for family.;) If the only way I can get a chair by the pool is to go there early and save a few, then so be it. :rolleyes:

Yes, I would probably give up one, only because I am on vacation and dont need the hassle of arguing with someone like you. However, as I said earlier, you are free to come early and choose where you want to sit. Otherwise, you may be in a spot you do not want to be.

Like you, I'm at the pool usually no later than 8 to 8:30. Rest of family joins me by 10:30.

Archived