Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi! We are staying 2 days pre-cruise and would like to use Marriott reward points so we are looking at the Marriott Harbor Beach. How close is the water taxi located to Harbor Beach as we would like to go to Las Olas area for possible Carrie B tour and dinner? Also does the Harbor Beach area have some place close to pick up soda/water prior to going to the port?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Tammy

Cruising on Millenium 10/27. Flying PVD to FLL (I hate flying out of Boston. Not convenient for us). It's been quite a few years since we've last done this. What is the approximate taxi cost one way from FLL Airport to Miami pier?

Thanks.

Hi LadyTenorJD

I am US Army retired – Wife is a retired CR Schoolteacher. I lived in Miami area and Tampa area prior to coming to CR. We live in the mountains above Heredia. Have B2B cruise booked from FLL in November.costaricaguy_expat@yahoo.com

Jim and Flora

Hoping to receive a couple of suggestions to questions regarding Fort Lauderdale and hotel area.

1. We fly in Sat afternoon 12/17, and are booked at Embassy Suites, 1100 SE 17th St. In need of a Target/Walmart close to hotel to pickup a couple of last minute items. Anything within walking distance or close to public transit?

2. Also want to pickup a few adult beverages. Suggestions close to Embassy Suites?

3. Is cruise port within walking distance of Embassy Suites? Should we rely on shuttle service from hotel?

Thx,

bbunch04

Cruising on Princess which is scheduled for embarkation in Fort Lauderdale at 8:00am on a Wednesday. Our flight leaves at 9:30am. Should we prearrange for a taxi/shuttle to meet us at cruise port? Tight schedule...are we going to make the flight connection?

Thx in advance,

bbunch04

Cruising on Princess which is scheduled for embarkation in Fort Lauderdale at 8:00am on a Wednesday. Our flight leaves at 9:30am. Should we prearrange for a taxi/shuttle to meet us at cruise port? Tight schedule...are we going to make the flight connection?

Thx in advance,

bbunch04

I don't really understand the post. Is this for embarkation or disembarkation? Either one, it sounds very tight to me. If it's disembarkation and the ship gets in at 8, I don't think you will make it. We have made a 10:30 flight out without problem, but our ship got in earlier and there were no glitches getting off the ship.

I don't think any ships do embarkation at 8 AM, at least I've never heard of it, so I'm assuming it's debarkation.

If you mean you will get off the ship at 8, then 9:30 is possible, but barely and only with very good luck.

Hi,

Flying in from the UK in time for Thanksgiving. I'm being taken to a Hilton Hotel in Fort Lauderdale for a Thanksgiving Buffet. I understand there are 2 Hiltons : Beach Resort and Marina, and I have been told to choose which one I want to go to. By a Floridian.

Notwithstanding the fact that I can find no mention of a Thanksgiving Buffet on the Hilton website, assuming that this event does exist, which Hotel would YOU choose?

Thx in advance,

bbunch04

I would be VERY nervous and you'd better have a back-up plan.

We are arriving in Fort Lauderdale at the end of our cruise on a Sunday in mid-November. We have a car rented and will drive to Disneyworld that afternoon/evening. We would like to do an Everglades tour and have seen 2 sites online. Any suggestion as to which would be better?

Also, are there any suggestions as to what else we might be able to do during these few hours before the long drive? Is there a scenic drive?

All suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.

Hi! We are staying 2 days pre-cruise and would like to use Marriott reward points so we are looking at the Marriott Harbor Beach. How close is the water taxi located to Harbor Beach as we would like to go to Las Olas area for possible Carrie B tour and dinner? Also does the Harbor Beach area have some place close to pick up soda/water prior to going to the port?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Tammy

Water Taxi stop is at the marina between Bahia Cabana and Bahia Mar, less than 6 blocks away. I can't think of any stores very close to the hotel but you could stop at the Walgreens just outside of the port entrance.

Hoping to receive a couple of suggestions to questions regarding Fort Lauderdale and hotel area.

1. We fly in Sat afternoon 12/17, and are booked at Embassy Suites, 1100 SE 17th St. In need of a Target/Walmart close to hotel to pickup a couple of last minute items. Anything within walking distance or close to public transit?

2. Also want to pickup a few adult beverages. Suggestions close to Embassy Suites?

3. Is cruise port within walking distance of Embassy Suites? Should we rely on shuttle service from hotel?

Thx,

bbunch04

1. No target or walmart anywhere close but Publix grocery store sells a lot of last minute items and is right behind the hotel. There is also Dollar Tree across the street in Southport plaza.

2. The best store is Total Wine behind the hotel next to Publix.

3. Take a taxi for $10 and go whenever you want. The port entrance is a few blocks away but it's a big port and there are minimum charges.

Thx in advance,

bbunch04

Change your flight.

Hi,

Flying in from the UK in time for Thanksgiving. I'm being taken to a Hilton Hotel in Fort Lauderdale for a Thanksgiving Buffet. I understand there are 2 Hiltons : Beach Resort and Marina, and I have been told to choose which one I want to go to. By a Floridian.

Notwithstanding the fact that I can find no mention of a Thanksgiving Buffet on the Hilton website, assuming that this event does exist, which Hotel would YOU choose?

There is another Hilton, by the airport...I wouldn't bother staying there but it does have a buffet restaurant. The Hilton Marina gets very mixed reviews but is right by the port. I would chose the beach resort. It was just built from scratch in the last few years and it's at the beach.

We are arriving in Fort Lauderdale at the end of our cruise on a Sunday in mid-November. We have a car rented and will drive to Disneyworld that afternoon/evening. We would like to do an Everglades tour and have seen 2 sites online. Any suggestion as to which would be better?

Also, are there any suggestions as to what else we might be able to do during these few hours before the long drive? Is there a scenic drive?

All suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.

I don't know about the Everglades tours but the drive to Disneyworld is about 3.5 hours and it is not scenic. You could drive up the coast and then inland but that would take all day, I would imagine. On a Sunday not much will be open, so either do your everglades tour and then head north or just skip the tour and go.

Need pre and post hotel. pre-hotel need shuttle from FLL airport to hotel and then be able to get around and enjoy the water taxi and beach. Post-hotel would like shuttle from cruise port to hotel (or airport then hotel) and be able to get to Sawgrass mall. breakfast available would be great.

Pre hotel I would suggest staying at the beach near the water taxi. Try Alhambra, Best Western Oceanside, Courtyard or Bahia Mar for decent rates. There are no shuttles to beach hotels but taxis to these are only about $25 or less. Holiday Inn Express Convention Center is not at the beach but is a few blocks from the water taxi and port and has free shuttles. Post cruise look at the Hampton Inn in Plantation. They'll pick you up at the airport and maybe even at the port and they are a short taxi ride to Sawgrass Mills...free breakfast too.

Water Taxi stop is at the marina between Bahia Cabana and Bahia Mar, less than 6 blocks away. I can't think of any stores very close to the hotel but you could stop at the Walgreens just outside of the port entrance.

Thanks Royalcruz! Is the Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach better for last minute shopping? I am thinking I'm more confused then ever before. Too many Marriott's! Good thing we're not sailing until March!

Thanks again!

Tammy

There is another Hilton, by the airport...I wouldn't bother staying there but it does have a buffet restaurant. The Hilton Marina gets very mixed reviews but is right by the port. I would chose the beach resort. It was just built from scratch in the last few years and it's at the beach.

Thank you for your quick response. Really appreciate the amount of time and work you put into responding to questions on this board.

Thanks Royalcruz! Is the Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach better for last minute shopping? I am thinking I'm more confused then ever before. Too many Marriott's! Good thing we're not sailing until March!

Thanks again!

Tammy

Sorry, I just found your question...Yes, the Courtyard Beach is closer to last minute shopping...there is a CVS at Beach Place about 6 blocks north, an easy walk.

So I'm thinking about booking the Holiday Inn Express on SE 17th before we go on our cruise in March. The website says that it is "walking" distance from the cruise port. Is it REALLY walking distance? I'm picturing myself dragging my suitcase down a busy road in the hot Florida sun and wondering if it's worth it or should we just take a shuttle or taxi? My other question is, any idea how much a taxi to the Hard Rock Cafe might be? I didn't make it last time I was there and I really want to go (I collect pins.) Thanks :)

So I'm thinking about booking the Holiday Inn Express on SE 17th before we go on our cruise in March. The website says that it is "walking" distance from the cruise port. Is it REALLY walking distance? I'm picturing myself dragging my suitcase down a busy road in the hot Florida sun and wondering if it's worth it or should we just take a shuttle or taxi? My other question is, any idea how much a taxi to the Hard Rock Cafe might be? I didn't make it last time I was there and I really want to go (I collect pins.) Thanks :)

Hi:) It might be walking distance if you have no luggage but I would

NOT suggest walking to the port. It is NOT very pedestrian friendly.

Lots of commercial ships/barges/etc (besides the cruiseships).

I have sailed from Port Everglades many times and your best bet is

to grab a cab. Not a far ride so it won't cost too much.

Not sure why the Holiday Inn website even has the walking

distance thing on there:eek:...

The Hardrock is probably a good 20 minute cabride away.

(Or more depending on traffic)

Taxi fare to Hard Rock from HIE 17th St: $25-30

Yes, HIE is walking distance to the cruise port. If the Ruby docks near the entrance at terminal 3 (it might) it is walkable, though it's several blocks and a bit awkward with luggage so most people take taxis. If it uses a different terminal you won't want to walk it, as it is 1-2 miles. The hotel used to have a port shuttle, so call and see if they still offer that.

Are there any restaurants or stores near the Hampton Inn & Suites - 2500 Stirling Road in Hollywood?

###

Yes, there are several in Oakwood Plaza. You will see mostly fast food from Stirling Rd so walk deeper into the plaza, past Home Depot. My favorite is Ale House.

How is the Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale-City Center in terms of grocery stores and restaurants within walking distance? I believe I can take the Sun Trolley to Publix on S. Andrews Ave but not sure how long it will take since it's not a direct route and the trolley only runs until 5:30pm.

How is the Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale-City Center in terms of grocery stores and restaurants within walking distance? I believe I can take the Sun Trolley to Publix on S. Andrews Ave but not sure how long it will take since it's not a direct route and the trolley only runs until 5:30pm.

Publix is the closest grocery store. I'm not sure if a trolley goes there but it is not that far of a walk, about 6 blocks. There is also a CVS drugstore a few blocks away on US1 near Broward Blvd. Salad Bowl on Broward Blvd is very close and very good for lunch. There are a few restaurants you can walk to at Las Olas Riverfront and on SW2nd St. and lots more on Las Olas Blvd downtown. However, I wouldn't walk anywhere from your hotel at night. It is separated by a few blocks from where you will see other people walking and it is close to the most dangerous part of the city. I know a few people who have been mugged at gunpoint downtown so it is important to be walk where there are other people.

Publix is the closest grocery store. I'm not sure if a trolley goes there but it is not that far of a walk, about 6 blocks. There is also a CVS drugstore a few blocks away on US1 near Broward Blvd. Salad Bowl on Broward Blvd is very close and very good for lunch. There are a few restaurants you can walk to at Las Olas Riverfront and on SW2nd St. and lots more on Las Olas Blvd downtown. However, I wouldn't walk anywhere from your hotel at night. It is separated by a few blocks from where you will see other people walking and it is close to the most dangerous part of the city. I know a few people who have been mugged at gunpoint downtown so it is important to be walk where there are other people.

Is the area by Publix safe? Perhaps we can walk there from the hotel in the afternoon, have dinner in the area, shop at Publix and take a taxi back.