Speciality dining on Eurodam - recommendations please

chrisandlynne

We are cruising on Eurodam on Sept 6th and I would like to celebrate my wife's special birthday in one of the speciality restaurants. I've read the reviews (quite a mixed bunch) and it appears the Tamarind Restaurant comes out top - not least for the food. However, I'm also looking for ambience and an overall pleasant dining experience for the occasion. I wonder if I could please seek the views of those who have tried the options. All would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

We had the pleasure of dining at both Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill while on the Eurodam last April, and both were excellent experiences. The food and the service at both were excellent and we would not hesitate to return to either.

For a special birthday or anniversary however, I would choose Pinnacle Grill for the decor and general ambience. As nice as the Tamarind is, the Pinnacle Grill is closer to a high-end land restaurant.

Make it a really special day... have lunch at Tamarind (free) and dinner at the Pinnacle Grill.

The PG can be experienced on all HAL ships, while the Tamarind can only be done on the Eurodam. For that reason alone, the Tamarind might be more "special".

Even if you choose the Pinnacle for the birthday party, definitely make it a point to eat at least one dinner and one lunch in the Tamarind. :)

... Tamarind. I think its one of the most elegant restaurants on land or sea. I would certainly consider it worthy fo a special occasion.
Agreed! At this point it's unique to the Euordam, so I'd choose it over the Pinnacle Grill.

DH and I have eaten at the Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind and Cannalleto aboard the Eurodam. We would prefer PG for dinner because the food is very good and so is the ambience. Tamarind is also very special, but we would do the lunch there. Have a great cruise and Happy Birthday to your wife.:)

Have sailed on the Eurodam twice in 3 months, April and July and ate at both the Tamarind (lunch and dinner) and the Pinnacle. Based on service alone, I personally would recommend the Tamarind for a special dinner. Lunch is also fun and not to be missed (and no charge), but ambience not the same. Pinnacle is more suitable than the main dining room for a special occasion and the food is excellent. I just prefer the Tamarind.

We ate at both and found things that we liked and things that disappointed us in each venue. The latter we ascribed mainly to a lack of communication by the host in each restaurant. You can have your special experience in either restaurant, if you make your dinner reservations for a time between 7:00 and 8:00 PM and do not want to have the rijstaffel in the Tamarind. It will all come down to whether you would rather eat in a steakhouse setting (Pinnacle Grill) or in an extremely lovely Asian setting (Tamarind).

I was on the Eurodam this past May ( as a first time cruiser) and would have to say without a doubt the Tamarind would be the spot to go.

The food was excellent ,the atmosphere amazing and the service was incredible (I and my 5 traveling freinds went back 3 times )There can be a very tiny little bit of difference in mannerisms but once you treat these girls as people and not someone you look down apon look out. You will have the time of you life. I'm not a world class traveler but I can honestly say it was the best food and service I had anywhere.

As for the PG food was OK service was so so and as for anyone smiling or enjoying themselves forget it.It was like being stuffed into some old shirt from ( the good old boys syndrome) era. Go tooo theee TAMARIND Enjoy

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post.

There are some great suggestions and views. I'm going to go for the Tamarind by a short head with a pre-dinner cocktail (maybe Champers) in the Silk Den first.

Thank you also for your good wishes.

My wife does not care for orentia,l food so we have not eaten at Tamirand.

We have eaten at the Pennicle and did not think think the food was better than the main dining room on the Eurodam and the service was not as good.

Actually, the "politically" correct term is Asian not Oriental!

I would vote for the Tamarind, personally. While I did not eat in the PG for dinner, I had breakfast there every day and lunch once. The breakfasting was nice (immediate seating, tasty food, very few people so impeccable service) but the lunch (free from our TA) was mediocre. Had I paid for it I would've been disappointed. I did not see anything on the PG menu that particularly appealed (YMMV.) It IS pretty.

On the other hand, the Tamarind has delicious food, a beautiful setting, and the Silk Den beforehand for a cocktail couldn't be bad at all! (Silk Den is, IMO, one of the nicest places I've ever been in on a cruise ship... very underutilized which is likely part of the charm.)

Actually, the "politically" correct term is Asian not Oriental!

My understanding is that "Asian" is the (politically) correct term for people from Asia; "Oriental" is fine when referring to objects. Although cuisine is referred to as Asian or Pan-Asian, it has nothing to do with political correctness; the food is not insulted one way or the other.

We had the pleasure of dining at both Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill while on the Eurodam last April, and both were excellent experiences. The food and the service at both were excellent and we would not hesitate to return to either.

For a special birthday or anniversary however, I would choose Pinnacle Grill for the decor and general ambience. As nice as the Tamarind is, the Pinnacle Grill is closer to a high-end land restaurant.

Make it a really special day... have lunch at Tamarind (free) and dinner at the Pinnacle Grill.

Is the menu the same for lunch & dinner at the Tamarind????

My wife and I were on the Eurodam 4 weeks ago with friends and tried both Pinnacle and Tamarind. No doubt about it, Silk Den for cocktails and then Tamarind. The service and food is fab and my only complaint is that we only went once in the 10 nights.

Is the menu the same for lunch & dinner at the Tamarind????

NO

Lunch Menu:

The Tamarind Lunch is free -- need reservations.

It is a set menu -- only get to choose dessert:

Hot and Sour Soup

Asian Herb Szechuan Sesame Salad

Steamed Classic Dumplings:

Chicken

Asian Pork

Steam Vegetable

Spinach and Mushroom

Shrimp 'Shu Mat'

From the Wok:

Vegetable Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Sushi Nugget

Shrimp Won Ton Sticks

Shrimp Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Rangoon

Holland America Line Culinary Fusion Sauces:

Bora Bora BBQ - tomato, ginger, aged vinegar, soy sauce

Mirin Pesto - sweet wine, soy, fresh basil, garlic, lemon grass

Coco Churri - coconut, cilantro, chili, lime

Shoyu Sabi - classic flavors of soy and wasabi

Choice of One Dessert:

Mango Sirbet

Coconut Ice Cream

Egg Tart

Green Tea Tiramisu

Tamarind

When you sit down at the table, a couple of servers will come to the table -- one will pour Jasmine tea while the other one gives you a HOT towel to cleanse your hands. Then you are given your menu. There are already 4 small sauce bowls on the table -- there is a soy sauce; a sweet-sour sauce; a garlic-chili pepper sauce; and a Japanese horseradish sauce (very hot). You are brought a basket of Shrimp Crackers.

SOUP:

Yin-Yang Scallop Consomme’ - tender sea scallops & julienne cut squash in a ginger infused shellfish broth sprinkled with minced scallions

Jewels of the Sea - delicate shrimp filled won ton with sliced baby bok choy in a fragrant lemongrass & sesame broth

Chicken Pho with Wild Lime & Rice Stick noodles - shredded chicken & rice noodles in a coconut milk broth flavored with lime leaf, cilantro, galangal, mint, bean sprouts & Serrano chilies

Appetizers:

Trail of Spices Satay Sampler - Malaysian-spiced lamb, Chinese pork, Thai -spiced beef, Indonesian-spiced chicken & Vietnamese-spiced shrimp served with Asian pickled vegetables & 2 traditional dipping sauces

Shrimp Tempura Indochina - sweet, fresh shrimp dipped in a light batter & fried and served with a tart-and-sweet green papaya salad & garlic chili sauce

Shanghai Ribs - five-spiced rubbed baby-back pork ribs, served over a Chinese pickled cabbage salad with a Tamarind chutney

Streetside Pot Stckers - succulent lobster, pork and chicken dumplimngs, shallow-fried till crispy on the bottom and served with a vinegar-soy ponzu dipping sauce

Spring Roll Delights - a trio of spring rolls: crispy duck, vegetable and a rice paper wrapped lobster roll, served with plum and sweet chili sauces

Thai Beef Salad - rare-seared beef, tossed with scallions, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers -- presented on salad greens and sprinkled with fresh mint, chilies and a lime-leaf dressing

Green Papaya Salad - freshly shredded raw vegetables and spinach, tomato, water chestnuts and papaya tossed with lime juice & palm sugar

Sushi & Sashimi Menu

YOUR CHOICE OF 6 ITEMS AS AN APPETIZER OR 12 AS AN ENTRÉE

Sashimi - tuna, salmon, snapper. Octopus

Nigiri Sushi - tuna, salmon, snapper, Octopus

Sushi Rolls:

Rainbow (reversed California roll topped with an assortment of fish)

California - crab and avocado

Salmon Tsutsumi - salmon, avocado, cream cheese

Tuna Tsutsumi - vegetable roll topped with tuna slices

Yozo - snapper, masago, asparagus, Japanese mayonnaise

Yoshi - tempura snapper, avocado, scallion, Japanese mayonnaise

Wraps - Indonesian vegetable, seafood, lettuce, chicken

Entrees:

Water:

Hoisin-Lime Glazed Sea Bass - Golden pan-seared fish crowned with crisp wok-seared Asian greens

Asia-Pacific Hot Pot - A one-pot surprise consisting of shrimp, scallops, Manila clams, rock fish, crab legs, squid, scallions, shallots, garlic, lemon grass and coriander leaves all braised in a flavorful stock

Baked Snapper in Rice Paper - Snapper marinated in a sake and citrus liquor, then golden baked and served atop ginger and garlic steamed Asian greens

Wood:

Wasabi & Soy Crusted Beef Tenderloin Steak - Served on an oak wood cedar plank and complimented with tempura-style onion rings and vegetables

Scallops & Prawns with Garlic, Ginger and Chili - steamed to perfection and presented in a bamboo basket and drizzled with a light soy sauce

Cantonese Duck & Hainan Rice - roasted, served on a bed chicken borth infused rice and garnished with flakes of fresh chili and cilantro

Fire:

Shrimp Szechuan with Thai Basil - Shrimp sauteed with chili peppers, Asian spices, straw mushrooms, sweet bell peppers and scallions glazed in a light chili sauce

Penang Red Curry Coconut Chicken - A mild spicy dish consisting of chicken cubes braised with Chinese pea pods, eggplant, green zucchini, red pimiento, opal basil, lemon grass and lime juice - presented in a bath of red curry and coconut milk

Vietnamese-Style Lamb with Mint - Thinly sliced lamb loin quickly sautéed with bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms, fresh spinach leaves, minced garlic and scallions

Earth:

Five-spice Seitan & Tempeh - quickly seared with thinly sliced red bell pepper, enoki mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, scallions, garlic, ginger and soy sauce - served with lime wedges

Sesame Udon Noodles - flat Japanese wheat noodles, stir-fried with tofu, scallions, vegetables, sesame oil and chilies, and sprinkled with toasted peanuts and sesame oil

Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura - asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, green beans, and carrots dipped in a light batter and fried - garnished with fruits and served with Tamarind glaze

On The Side:

Steamed seasonal garden vegetables with red miso garlic sauce

Steamed Jasmine rice OR Brown rice

Stir-fried cucumber, snow peas, mushrooms, scallions and chili with sesame seeds

Bok Choy with oyster sauce

Sake-braised oyster and ****ake mushrooms

Desserts:

Tamarind Chocolate - a bittersweet chocolate shell filled with a rich Tamarind & chili flavored chocolate and ginger mousse served with a red raspberry and black raspberry compote

Mango Cloud - a light egg white souffle served with a mango sorbet

Tempura Ice Cream - coconut & Javanese coffee with infused lemon grass sauce anglaise

Chocolate Almond Fortunw Cookie -- an almond baked tuile with a surprise filling of chocolate panache -- served with a scoop of coconut ice cream

Ginger Banana Bread Pudding - with tempura bananas and caramel sauce

Trio of Sorbets - passion fruit basil, lychee green tea and cube with shaved fruit juices

OMG - Tamarind is exquisite! The servers in there are absolute gems, the ambiance is charming, the food is a delight to all the senses......... I could go on. We ate dinner there only once last summer, but could have gone back.

If I had to choose between Tamarind or Pinnacle for a special occasion dinner, hands down it would be Tamarind. (We can get a better steak dinner than PG at Ruth's Chris ;)). Be sure to request a window table when you make your reso.

To the cruisers who don't care for Asian food - please review that menu KK posted. A dinner starter of the scallop consomme is really just a clear broth soup. An app of the shrimp tempura is just lightly battered fried shrimp - no saying you have to dip into a sauce. Or try the pot stickers. Just fab little dumplings that again, don't have to be sauced. And how about the wasabi tenderloin? That could be requested w/o the wasabi. So you can get the Tamarind experience w/a bit of flexibility & creativity.

Just our opinions here, but the service at Tamarind is so attentive & before-you-need-it, we tipped in cash. :)

Archived