Europe 2010 prices $2k higher to zero out $2k off offer?

Wildblue

Huh... so I was just surfing around Oceania's website, searching for info as I've booked the Dec 6th 2010 transatlantic sailing, Barcelona to Rio. I'm still in the giddy excited stage, even though the cruise is still so far off. One of the things that hooked me to the sailing is the "$2,000 off, 2-for-1 fare, and free airfare" sale going on, which is supposedly Oceania's best-ever offer.

Dinking around, though, I just noticed that the same cruise this year, Nov 25th 2009, is actually $2,000 LESS, with free airfare and 2-for-1, making both cruises the exact same price after the sale. Both sales supposedly end Aug 31st. So... was this just a hook to get guys like me with a bigger sale from higher prices? Compare the two cruises:

2009 Cruise:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/transoceanic/ins091125/fares.aspx

2010 Cruise:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/transoceanic/ins101206/fares.aspx

Still excited about the cruise. FWIW, something else that looks interesting is that that same cruise this year, Nov 25th, actually already has many more open cabins, whereas the 2010 sailing is already sold out in more categories. Maybe their marketing is paying off, no?

Huh... so I was just surfing around Oceania's website, searching for info as I've booked the Dec 6th 2010 transatlantic sailing, Barcelona to Rio. I'm still in the giddy excited stage, even though the cruise is still so far off. One of the things that hooked me to the sailing is the "$2,000 off, 2-for-1 fare, and free airfare" sale going on, which is supposedly Oceania's best-ever offer.

Dinking around, though, I just noticed that the same cruise this year, Nov 25th 2009, is actually $2,000 LESS, with free airfare and 2-for-1, making both cruises the exact same price after the sale. Both sales supposedly end Aug 31st. So... was this just a hook to get guys like me with a bigger sale from higher prices? Compare the two cruises:

2009 Cruise:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/transoceanic/ins091125/fares.aspx

2010 Cruise:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/transoceanic/ins101206/fares.aspx

Still excited about the cruise. FWIW, something else that looks interesting is that that same cruise this year, Nov 25th, actually already has many more open cabins, whereas the 2010 sailing is already sold out in more categories. Maybe their marketing is paying off, no?

Hi Wildblue. I booked both cruises and am paying a considerable amount more for the 2009 cruise-almost $1000 per person. After booking almost 18 months in advance, I changed my 2009 booking to another travel agency that was willing to pay gratuties and give OBC- the agency I first booked with, would not. It pays to shop around;).

Cathy

"FWIW, something else that looks interesting is that that same cruise this year, Nov 25th, actually already has many more open cabins, whereas the 2010 sailing is already sold out in more categories. Maybe their marketing is paying off, no?"

Could be since the 2009 cruise is near - people that had previously held a stateroom have now re-thought it and canceled ... thereby leaving vacancies. Whereas a lot of people book months or years in advance by just leaving a deposit and then later find something else or another reason and cancel. A lot of cruises will show no vacancy a year out and then suddenly find empty staterooms when final payment date nears.

I seem to recall that the 2010 cruise prices now include all taxes in the price where the 2009 are added.

Lyn-

Am I wrong in thinking that the taxes and fees which will be included as of 2010 are only the ones which are associated with the "Free Air"? :confused:

Lyn-

Am I wrong in thinking that the taxes and fees which will be included as of 2010 are only the ones which are associated with the "Free Air"? :confused:

I checked my invoice & all that is listed is one price

then less the air credit, promo discount

So I am guessing the port taxes& other fees are included.

Before it had the taxes & fees on another line

Maybe someone in the know will be able to clarify all this;)

Lyn

Well, I guess it's how you look at it. If there's just a total charge without itemizing, Oceania's not explaining what's what. I guess I can share some of my own personal invoice compared to Oceania's fares--

For my Category E cabin, Oceania lists the 2010 brochure fare as $5798. (for the same 2009 cruise, it's $3798) With $2k off per cabin and 2-for-1, this should be $3798 for a 2010 cabin for 2, ($1899 per person) but Oceania says the promotion is $2,268 which "includes" $369 per person tacked on top of the promotion price, for "Air Related: Taxes, Fuel Surcharges and Ticketing Fee". My original point is that the same Category E cabin now sells for $2,268 on both the 2009 and 2010 cabin.

My actual invoice cost (which in fairness to my TA I probably shouldn't post publicly) is somwhere between the $1,899 and $2,268. The invoice "includes" costs broken out of that $369 per person for "Air taxes/fees", which I'd presumably get back with the airfare allowance if I booked my own air, and $399 for "Port taxes/fees". No transfers, no visas, no "travel protection".

The difference between 2009 and 2010 is published as, "Government fees and taxes of up to $8 per day are included in the fares shown for Europe 2010 sail dates", and "guests sailing on 2010 European Collection voyages will receive free unlimited soft drinks and bottled water." A difference to be sure, but I don't think we're talking mega dollars.

Just putting this out there for discussion and consideration. I'm still going!

I do not have an answer just an observation

Some people complained they would like a "bottom line" price so they would know exactly what the cruise is costing them.

Some people want a breakdown of every charge the cruiseline charges EG: each port fee, taxes, etc...

So this is just my observation

the cruise lines cannot do anything right according to most people they are in a catch 22 situation.

For me if bottom line works with my budget I am happy if not well then I either raise my budget or stay home.:D

Lyn

I do not have an answer just an observation

Some people complained they would like a "bottom line" price so they would know exactly what the cruise is costing them.

Some people want a breakdown of every charge the cruiseline charges EG: each port fee, taxes, etc...

So this is just my observation

the cruise lines cannot do anything right according to most people they are in a catch 22 situation.

For me if bottom line works with my budget I am happy if not well then I either raise my budget or stay home.:D

Lyn

Good points Lyn.

But I'd always rather to have a complete breakdown of the charges to make sure there are no funny hidden charges and to make it easier to compare apples to apples.

Things like airport transfers, other surcharges can and do vary from Line to Line and it would be nice to see those differences.

I can always sit down with a calculator and add it all up to get the bottom line.

I wonder if Oceania or the T/A's can just make it a habit of giving their clients BOTH to make it easy.

It would be super if they gave the bottom line at the top and a breakdown at the bottom of their quotes.

Good points Lyn.

But I'd always rather to have a complete breakdown of the charges to make sure there are no funny hidden charges and to make it easier to compare apples to apples.

Things like airport transfers, other surcharges can and do vary from Line to Line and it would be nice to see those differences.

In previous years that is how the invoice came ...not a complete breakdown like port by port fees but the usual lump sum.

People complained they wanted just to know the bottom line ..;)

Lyn

The OP got me curious so I went and found last year's lovely brochure - of course, because O does not do alot of repeat itineraries it makes comparing prices a little difficult. But I did find that the prices in the 2010 brochure (early booking fares) were hundreds of $$$ higher on same or similar cruises. So then when the $2000 was taken off, the result was a little lower than this year's brochure prices. Which jives with my "bottom line" for a 2010 trip - a few hundred per person less. I do think O's pricing has been quite tricky in the past but I know now it is supposed to be more transparent. In earlier years I would just throw out the brochures thinking "I cannot afford this" until last year when I had trip actually priced out and decided to go for it. Now I am spoiled!

Archived