Cabin Selection

Benita

PG seems to have huge price increases for different cabin catagories. For our two week cruise, it is an extra $600 per cabin for a window vs porthole, and $2400 more than that for a 39 square foot balcony. Granted, the more expensive cabins are on higher decks. Has anybody had a problem in a catagory F cabin?

We love the window on the PG ( E). Have tried a higher level once but missed my 4th deck!

Last year my cousins got the F category and I visited them there. They were very happy there and saved a lot of money. There is no difference in size or quality of cabin. Instead of a window there are two portholes. Its just on a different deck.

I am with Emdee... the cabins with windows on deck 4 are great for the money.... and the location can not be beat also. Emdee told me of those cabins and I did deck 4 last summer, and was glad I listened to her.

Doing deck 4 again this summer.

Chuck

I think it's worth the extra $$ for the window. The portholes are pretty small, and it's just so spectacularly beautiful there that I would hate to limit my view like that. But if reduced price is an imperative, it's a nice fat savings over the windows!

My upcoming cruise (June) is going to be my 2nd time in a Cat E on deck 4. I concur that deck 4 is a nice deck to be on. I would LOVE to be able to afford a balcony, but that price jump is just too rich for my blood. I would only use it to step outside occasionally to take in the view - and I guess if I really want to go outside, I can, well, go outside! ;)

We just had a balcony on the 7th floor on the 11 night Society and Cook Island cruise and LOVED our balcony! We had room service breakfast delivered most days and had breakfast overlooking paradise every day. The views were spectacular at any time of day and I am not sorry we sprung the extra $ for a balcony. This is truly the trip of a lifetime (or maybe trips of a lifetime) so I say why not do it right?

We just had a balcony on the 7th floor on the 11 night Society and Cook Island cruise and LOVED our balcony! We had room service breakfast delivered most days and had breakfast overlooking paradise every day. The views were spectacular at any time of day and I am not sorry we sprung the extra $ for a balcony. This is truly the trip of a lifetime (or maybe trips of a lifetime) so I say why not do it right?

I wish! The jump in price was just more than we could justify. We're still working stiffs, trying to put enough away for a good retirement. (Truth is, if it was up to me I'd have sprung for the balcony...but my husband's pragmatism won out!) ;)

I will only stay on deck 3. The portholes are not too small and there are only 14 cabins I believe on the floor. Everyone gets to know one another and you get into your room very quickly after getting off the tenders. The money saved over a few cruises pays for another cruise!

I will only stay on deck 3. The portholes are not too small and there are only 14 cabins I believe on the floor. Everyone gets to know one another and you get into your room very quickly after getting off the tenders. The money saved over a few cruises pays for another cruise!

The price differential for going from a porthole to a window is huge - about $600 for the cabin for a two week cruise. When I called to book the cruise for a year from now, quite a few of the porthole cabins were already taken.

We've been on deck 4 with the window twice and for our next cruise we booked deck 3 portholes. If you look at the PG website the portholes are framed out with the same "window" as the window cabins on level 4. The difference is that instead of one pane of glass in the frame there are two portholes. For the difference in price I did not think it was worth even staying on deck 4.

Almost all of the cabins are the same exact interior size. We loved being out and about on the ship and there is plenty of public space available.

We have also been on deck 4 and are on this deck again for our Nov. sailing. Being it is such a small ship and easy to get around and most balconies are small it was a practical money decisions and the extra has been put to good use on the many days off the ship.

If money is no object it is always nice if you are a private person to sit and gaze quietly at the beauty.

Jospace: You mentioned you had a balcony cabin on deck 7, were you under the pool or Le Grille, or other?? Any noise issues?? What cabin were you in?? Any problems?? We are booked for deck 7 for June/2013, we live out in the country so we are used to quiet so when we travel we try to find a relatively quiet location if possible. We stayed on the deck below the pool on a Celebrity cruise and we did have the early morning noise of deck lounges being moved so we thought we would try under Le Grille for this cruise, we're just wondering if it could be noisy early morning or late at night. Thanks, GG

Hi GG - I don't have an answer to your question since I've never been on deck 7, but I did want to mention that I too live in a very quiet community and have difficulty sleeping if it's noisy. That's why I never leave town without my earplugs! You just never know if you're going to find yourself sleeping in a noisy room, whether it's a hotel room near a busy highway, or a cruise cabin that turns out to get lots of noise from the disco above. My earplugs cancel out virtually all noise so I can always be assured of a good nights sleep when traveling. I recommend them! :)

Jospace: You mentioned you had a balcony cabin on deck 7, were you under the pool or Le Grille, or other?? Any noise issues?? What cabin were you in?? Any problems?? We are booked for deck 7 for June/2013, we live out in the country so we are used to quiet so when we travel we try to find a relatively quiet location if possible. We stayed on the deck below the pool on a Celebrity cruise and we did have the early morning noise of deck lounges being moved so we thought we would try under Le Grille for this cruise, we're just wondering if it could be noisy early morning or late at night. Thanks, GG

Gardening Girl:

We were on deck 7, cabin 740, which was about mid ship and are like you, we live out in the country and do not like alot of early morning or late evening noises. We had neither where our room was located. We loved our balcony and had many a morning breakfast loving the beautiful view and privacy we had. If was a great start to every day we had in paradise.

Leejnd4: Thanks for your response. We too travel with earplugs but ours don't cancel out all noise, it just muffles the noise slightly. What kind do you have & where did you get them?? Thanks, GG

Hi GG - I just use standard foam earplugs, I believe they're made by "Mack's", I get them at Target.

To amend what I said earlier, they don't eliminate ALL noise - for example, I can still hear my alarm to wake me up in the morning - but unless noises are really loud, they do not disturb my slumber. I was once stuck in a hotel room right next to a really loud nightclub - I was on the second floor, and the nightclub was right outside my window on the ground floor so the noise rose up and filled my room. I put my earplugs in and it truly just cancelled it right out and I had no trouble falling asleep.

I don't know how well they'd work if you were in a cabin, say, right below where tables and chairs were being dragged around on the floor, but I've been in some pretty noisy rooms and never had any problems. :)

newonboard69: According to the ship layout 740 is underneath Le Grill. We are currently booked in 735 which is across the hall from your cabin and over by 2 cabins. So I'm curious, you didn't hear any noise from Le Grill?? Unless the ship layout is off slightly. Thanks, GG

Gardening Girl...

We are early risers and even after we were up a while the only noise we heard was when the crew was hosing down the deck which they had to do as part of the cleaning detail on both sides of the ship. We really did not hear chairs being moved around in the morning or any of the evening noises from dinner.

We have been fortunate to stay on decks 4 through 8 on our various PG cruises. While the higher decks are a little larger the service for all is basically the same. If I had to chose between a port hole or not going I would take the 3rd deck without a problem. You will enjoy the cruise no matter which deck you are staying on!

We just did the Society Islands in February and were on Deck 8, room 811. I booked that because my husband is 6'4 and thought he needed the extra space. Yes, it was a beautiful room. We never saw the 'butler'. We are returning in January for the longer Tuamotu sailing and are 'downgrading' to deck 7. I don't think the extra few feet is worth the cost. It is such a gorgeous destination, however, that I just can't do without that balcony.

What pleasantly surprised me in February was the lack of snobbiness on the part of the crew. Nobody gave a hoot what cabin you were in; everyone was treated the same, with utmost courtesy and superb service. Very different from our (one) previous cruise on Azamara. They cared very much what cabin we were in! Butlered suite? No problem, madam, in that dinner reservation you asked for! Our friends in a more 'pedestrian' cabin were definitely afforded lesser status.

Hi Jetpuffed,

We have been in all kinds of cabins from Owners suites to lowly inside cabins in many, many years of cruising. Just love the deck 4 on the PG and have never bothered to upgrade.

Mind you we have been twice on Azamara once in a regular balcony and once in a suite but we were really treated equally in all ways except maybe with respect to the specialty dining. So maybe your friends just had a bad experience. Now Oceania was a different matter altogether for us...

Back to the PG - we love the ship and the staff genuinely treat us like family!

• 4 months later...

We have sailed the PG multiple times also. Our daughters had a porthole and the portholes were very small to take it all in that FP had to offer. If you don't mind going to another deck to enjoy the view then probably not that big a deal. However I would think twice on those cabins that are more towards the front as the crews quarters are a deck below and they got noisy on more than one occasion. Again ear plugs are key.

We spend a bit of time in our room so a balcony is perfect. I sit out there every morning as another place to be still "in the room" while my wife sleeps in. The views are always spectacular. We also spend a bit of time there while in Moorea and Bora Bora. Bottom line we spend quite a bit of time there. And love being able to be outside. So as usual, to each it's own.

We stayed on deck 6 this time (several weeks go) and really liked the ability to walk right into la Veranda for Bfast and lunch. It seemed like we only had to go one deck up or down for most everything We have been on deck 7 and had a lot of noise problems with the pool deck, sliding chairs, the music played there while we were taking a mid day nap, etc.

My two cents.

I saw the 3rd deck for the first time last year - previously stayed on 4th and 6th.

It was quite acceptable. However, I just like the 4th the best. The reception and tours are right there and the sofas there are a convenient meeting place for family or friends.

Archived