Golden Princess - Pool Hoist question

MargoK

Hi all

I am hoping someone may have cruised on the Golden Princess and have first hand knowledge regarding whether there is a hoist for pool access? I would love to have a swim as we will spend most of our cruise on-board rather than going ashore as we are travelling in familiar territory.

TIA

I have posted on the Disabled Cruiser forum also.

Hi all

I am hoping someone may have cruised on the Golden Princess and have first hand knowledge regarding whether there is a hoist for pool access? I would love to have a swim as we will spend most of our cruise on-board rather than going ashore as we are travelling in familiar territory.

TIA

Not to my knowledge, but it looks like the Lotus Pool has steps with a handrail going down into the water if you are able to manage steps. I'm judging from the deck plans and photos only, no direct personal knowledge until 11/11/2016 when I sail on the Golden Princess myself. I was specifically looking for steps with handrail access as me and ladders do NOT get on at all!

Hi all

TIA

Not to my knowledge, but it looks like the Lotus Pool has steps with a handrail going down into the water if you are able to manage steps. I'm judging from the deck plans and photos only, no direct personal knowledge until 11/11/2016 when I sail on the Golden Princess myself. I was specifically looking for steps with handrail access as me and ladders do NOT get on at all!

I was just on the Golden last month and I did not see a hoist, nor have I ever seen one on a Princess Cruise. The Lotus Spa Pool is a good choice as I can say with 100% certainty that it has steps and a rail for entry. Also it is not as deep as the other pools. It is an adults only pool, and sometimes few people use it as they assume it is part of the Sanctuary and has a cost, but it is free. My mother likes this pool due to the easy entry as she cannot really or easily do the ladders as well. Access this pool via the Lotus Spa, and there are a few steps to go up to the pool level from the Spa.

Also the Aft Terrace pool has steps to get into it, but it is a bit steeper if I remember correctly, also it is deeper.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I have attached a picture so you can really visualize the Lotus Spa Pool with its entry steps. It was netted off as the seas were a little rougher. It was drained a bit because of this as well. Look on the left of the photo and you can see a splash I caught in the picture!

Same story for the attached picture of the Aft Terrace Pool... Netted off and drained some for sea conditions. Also caught a splash too! One note for this pool as there are stairs (about 7 or 8) that you need to go down from the Lido deck to get to the pool area so people are aware. Alternatively you could access it from the end of the Aloha deck passenger hallway via a couple less stair steps that you have to go up. Just FYI.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

If the picture is too small (because CC limits the size) I would be happy to email the larger originals if anyone wants, just get me an email address. (Be sure to space it out so that the computer bots cannot read it! For example... JoeCruiser AT gmail dot com *** THIS IS NOT MY EMAIL ADDRESS, I JUST MADE IT UP! LOL)

1243786785_P1080512GoldenPrincessLotusSpaPool.jpg.7566d3a2612da683aef3f6e30d748c52.jpg

297397076_P1090572GoldenPrincessAftTerracePool.jpg.b68bedb5b8390581c76e32ca96498160.jpg

Edited by cruisehappy001

I was just on the Golden last month and I did not see a hoist, nor have I ever seen one on a Princess Cruise. The Lotus Spa Pool is a good choice as I can say with 100% certainty that it has steps and a rail for entry. Also it is not as deep as the other pools. It is an adults only pool, and sometimes few people use it as they assume it is part of the Sanctuary and has a cost, but it is free. My mother likes this pool due to the easy entry as she cannot really or easily do the ladders as well. Access this pool via the Lotus Spa, and there are a few steps to go up to the pool level from the Spa.

Also the Aft Terrace pool has steps to get into it, but it is a bit steeper if I remember correctly, also it is deeper.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I have attached a picture so you can really visualize the Lotus Spa Pool with its entry steps. It was netted off as the seas were a little rougher. It was drained a bit because of this as well. Look on the left of the photo and you can see a splash I caught in the picture!

Same story for the attached picture of the Aft Terrace Pool... Netted off and drained some for sea conditions. Also caught a splash too! One note for this pool as there are stairs (about 7 or 8) that you need to go down from the Lido deck to get to the pool area so people are aware. Alternatively you could access it from the end of the Aloha deck passenger hallway via a couple less stair steps that you have to go up. Just FYI.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

If the picture is too small (because CC limits the size) I would be happy to email the larger originals if anyone wants, just get me an email address. (Be sure to space it out so that the computer bots cannot read it! For example... JoeCruiser AT gmail dot com *** THIS IS NOT MY EMAIL ADDRESS, I JUST MADE IT UP! LOL)

THANK YOU! Using my smaller Telescopic Magnifying Monocular Lens, which can be adjusted to give me sight of 2 lines BELOW the defined line for Legal Blindness in Australia, I was able to get a good, clear look at both pools. I hadn't realised the Lotus Spa Pool is open to the sun-stern note to bring a rashie vest for sun protection with me! Another friend on another forum of which I am a member, suggested I wear a rashie vest for sun protection as I cannot accurately apply sunblock to my own back, not that much of a contortionist! :D

I haven't paid a LOT of attention, but am pretty sure I have seen a hoist on every ship we have been on (around 8). I usually notice it on the deck near the main pool that is not covered.

The hoist (if that is what it is) is covered in a tarp, so many probably don't notice it.

YES! All Princess ships have either a hoist that is covered by a tarp when not in use OR a base for a hoist whereby a hoist is brought out and installed when needed by the pool deck workers. We have witnessed the use of both kinds on various Princess ships.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

I haven't paid a LOT of attention, but am pretty sure I have seen a hoist on every ship we have been on (around 8). I usually notice it on the deck near the main pool that is not covered.

The hoist (if that is what it is) is covered in a tarp, so many probably don't notice it.

I agree.

I've seen the hoists being used a few times on Princess and staff was most accommodating and friendly to the passenger. I distinctly remember one lovely lady on board Coral who enjoyed multiple swims.

I'm pretty sure all the ships have one, they just blend in with the surroundings.

I will try to find out for you when we board Golden in 4 weeks time when she arrives in Oz for our Summer season....if you would like to contact me .....sbishere at hotmail dot com

Thanks for your kind offer - will email you.

Thank you all for your input - it is most appreciated.

Caribill - all the photos I have seen have been distance views so it was hard to see if there was indeed a hoist. Your photo is most helpful.

Now to buy some togs (Swimsuit in kiwi speak)

Yep. They do have hoists. Eventhough Princess is of Bermudian registry, they do work hard to adhere to ADA accessability (under PL 504). I work in the field and am trained to think in terms of accessability. Princess has employed lots of principles of UDL, and if you look carefully, you can find these everywhere.

Thank you all for your input - it is most appreciated.

Caribill - all the photos I have seen have been distance views so it was hard to see if there was indeed a hoist. Your photo is most helpful.

Now to buy some togs (Swimsuit in kiwi speak)

I got my new bathers (aussie speak :D ) on special at Best & Less, a variety store in a shopping centre near me. Under half-price compared to Target or Kmart, not the colour I would have preferred but it fitted AND was a size smaller than what I'd worn previously! Due to disability, exercise is mainly walking with my Rollator, so I was VERY surprised and pleased to find out I had to buy the smaller size! It's a one-piece, don't have the figure for a bikini. :D

I guess that the hoists are hidden in plain sight! I must have missed them hidden under tarps. I wonder if they will magically appear if I browse through some of my old photos? LOL :confused:

I'm glad that they are there for those who need them!

Happy Cruising!

Mark