When to buy Alcohol

RDMOREU

We are planning to buy some alcohol (rum, scotch) from HAL. Since FL has both State & County Sales Tax, should we wait until we're outside the 12 mile and in international waters to order the bottles in order to avoid the sales tax? Or, if you order it ahead via Ship's Services, do they just hold it until you're in international waters and forego the FL taxes? Thanks for any info.!

As far as I know, the prices to order it from Ship Services is the same price you would pay through Room Service or at one of the bars. Room Service and a the bar will add a 15% tip to the bill.

On our last two cruises, we ordered it in several weeks in advance from Ship Services. They told me on the phone both times that it would not be delivered until we are "out to sea". Both times, it was in the cabin when we got there. My guess is they are supposed to wait until you are out to sea to deliver, as to not pay local taxes. But, in reality it is logistically easier to just deliver it when they are turning around the ship. So, they bend the rules slightly.

Now this is only based on our experience with 2 other HAL cruises and what I have heard from others. I guess its very possible you could order it and not receive it until you are out to sea. I have the current price lists. If anyone wants it, I can post it here. Just let me know.

Tim

We have ordered a couple of times bottles for our cabin through ship services and a couple of times we ordered once we got on the ship.

An example: Absolut through ship services was $28 - on the ship it was $25 with a 15% gratuity added to the bill. It all works out just about the same.

When you order through services it goes right onto your charge card. So take a copy of you credit card bill just in case there may be a problem.

When we ordered through ship services the bottles were delivered within minutes of our arriving at the cabin.

We've pre-cruise purchased liquor(Scotch) and it was in our cabin when we boarded, no problem. We've also seen the "purchase aboard from the bartender" list in the cabin. My question is: can you purchase a bottle of a liquor that is NOT on the list in the cabin? We like Brandy and Creme de Menthe (Stinger). Creme de Menthe is not on the cabin list, and we've not tried to purchase a bottle onboard. Has anyone been able to purchase a bottle of liquor not on the room cabin list? I know we can just try when we get there, but I'm just curious!!! If we can't we'll just drink 'em in the bar. Not a problem!!

We love cruising!!!

Penny :)

STATEROOM BEVERAGE PACKAGE

Passengers under 21 years of age may not be served with alcoholic beverages.

Identification may be required. Holland America is pleased to make the following beverage

packages available for stateroom consumption only. These packages include appropriate condiments and are refreshed daily.

If you wish to order any of the packages listed below please call Room Service Ext. 92

(1) LIQUOR AND MIXER PACKAGES

GIN AND TONIC PACKAGE - $27.50 – Item# LPGT

One bottle of Beefeaters Gin and three cans of Tonic

SCOTCH AND SODA PACKAGE - $27.50 – Item# LPSS

One bottle of Cutty Sark and three cans of Soda water

VODKA AND TONIC PACKAGE - $27.50 – Item# LPVT

One bottle of Smirnoff or Stolichnaya and three cans of Tonic

BOURBON AND COKE PACKAGE - $27.50 – Item# LPBC

One bottle of Jim Beam and three cans of Coke

RUM AND COKE PACKAGE - $27.50 – Item# LPRC

One bottle of Bacardi and three cans of Coke

(2) BEER PACKAGES

SELECT SIX DOMESTIC BEERS - $15.00 – Item# LPDB

Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors Lite, Miller Genuine Draft or Miller Lite.

SELECT SIX IMPORTED BEERS - $15.80 – Item# LPIB

Heineken, Amstel Light or Corona

(4) WINE PACKAGE - Item# LP4W

SELECT any combination of four items from the below listed 187 ml wines

to enjoy in your stateroom.

Normally $5.25 per bottle, with this package you will pay $15.75

Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, White Zinfandel

Updated: 2/18/04

ITEM DESCRIPTION PRICE

GINS

687 GIN: BEEFEATER $25.00

688 GIN: TANQUERAY $32.00

686 GIN: BOMBAY SAPPHIRE $33.00

LIQUEURS

316 LIQUEURS: AMARETTO $45.00

317 LIQUEURS: BAILEYS IRISH CREAM $39.00

320 LIQUEURS: COINTREAU $51.00

321 LIQUEURS: DRAMBUIE $50.00

318 LIQUEURS: FRANGELLICO $36.00

323 LIQUEURS: GRAND MARNIER $69.00

324 LIQUEURS: KAHLUA $31.00

330 LIQUEURS: SAMBUCA - OPAL NERA $38.00

325 LIQUEURS: SOUTHERN COMFORT $34.00

326 LIQUEURS: TIA MARIA $45.00

RUM

693 RUM: BACARDI GOLD $32.00

694 RUM: BACARDI WHITE $25.00

695 RUM: BACARDI LIMON $25.00

692 RUM: MYERS $25.00

SCOTCH/WHISKEY/BRANDY

707 SCOTCH: BALLENTINES $32.00

714 SCOTCH: CHIVAS REGAL - 12 Y.O. $60.00

706 SCOTCH: DEWAR'S White Label $30.00

334 SCOTCH: HENNESSY VS $71.00

708 SCOTCH: J & B RARE $32.00

716 SCOTCH: J. WALKER BLACK LABEL $70.00

710 SCOTCH: J. WALKER RED LABEL $32.00

728 BOURBON: JACK DANIELS BLACK $47.00

722 BOURBON: JIM BEAM $25.00

732 WHISKEY: CANADIAN CLUB $25.00

736 WHISKEY: CROWN ROYAL $34.00

738 WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS 7 $25.00

734 WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS V.O. $25.00

337 BRANDY: REMY MARTIN XO $228.00

336 BRANDY REMY MARTIN VSOP $95.00

SHERRY

656 SHERRY: HARVEY'S MEDIUM $33.00

657 SHERRY: TIO PEPE $36.00

TEQUILA:

697 TEQUILA: JOSE QUERVO GOLD $32.00

696 TEQUILA: JOSE QUERVO 1800 $47.00

VODKA:

698A VODKA: ABSOLUT $25.00

698 VODKA: ABSOLUT - CITRON $25.00

691 VODKA: STOLICHNAYA $25.00

691S VODKA: SKYY $25.00

691F VODKA: FINLANDIA $25.00

690 VODKA: SMIRNOFF $25.00

691C VODKA: CHOPAN $60.00

699 VODKA: GREY GOOSE $53.00

691T VODKA: TANGUERAY STERLING $28.00

691B VODKA: BELVEDERE $66.00

THANK YOU to everyone who posted and a special 'thank-you' to Tim for posting the current prices. Sorry that I couldn't post this earlier; but, I've been having a lot of trouble getting onto the board.

tried NCL and Princess, this year thinking of HAL to Mexican Riviera in Jan 06. Being a nubie I,m unaware of their policy on bringing alcohol on board, initially or from ports. Being a wine drinker this saved alot on Princess and what we brought was better than most of the "reasonable wines on their list" As for the post above: cardboard carriers come in 2's, 3's, 4's and up. They carry on planes just fine, reinforce the handles with some tape in you want. The planes are pressurized not to worry, and xray didn't bother ours. They also wrap and carry well in those small rollies but get heavy to put in the overhead bins. We've also used the styrofoam and cardboard wine shipping containers for 12 or 15 bottles from Calif to NY. Ditto worked great no broken ones yet.

thanks for posting the price list. I have one I printed out from a thread a couple of months ago and, comparing the two, it appears the prices have dropped $4-5 :D

Now that's something you don't see too often.

And unfortunately, they are going up faster! I got a list today from ships services and the prices are $4-$6 dollars HIGHER than on the list that jaguarstyper got on 8/2/05. :mad: :mad:

My last cruise with HAL Rio-Seattle was on the Amsterdam. We ordered Bombay Sapphire for the cabin a couple of times. Since this IS NOT part of the Liquor & mixer package, they DO NOT include the tonics. Bombay Sapphire was $38.00 US$ and tonics I believe were $1.50 US$. You will have a card in your cabin asking if you have received your items and if so please return the card to the front desk. Use Ship Services as you cannot go wrong and they will try and help you with most anything you may wish for. Enjoy your cruise. Happy Sailings...Leslie Swiger:)

Archived