I've heard so much about the food....

kaykels

I've never cruised Celebrity before but I've heard so much about their food! Lots of people rave. Are there any web sties with sample menus? What is so special about it? I've only done DCL and the food was pretty good, depending on which night. Convince me to switch! I'm hungry.

Well, it all depends on your frame of reference, of course. I don't have a menu posting handy, but you can search for them, or someone else will likely link one shortly.

On the whole, hoever, I think Celebrity has the best food overall in the cruiselines that ordinary mortals like me can afford to go on. The food and service is fairly nouveau European in style, and rather more exotic than one might see on some other lines - chilled fruit soups, mildly exotic sauces & treatments, fancy deserts, plates served to the ladies first, all that foo-foo stuff.

I tend to think Celebrity is more restaurant centric - I'm always surprised by how many people seem to prefer to eat in the buffet instead, but De gustibus non disputandum est.

Is it for you? I can't say, but I certainly like Celebrity a lot. Mind you, I never met a cruise I didn't like.

I was happy with HAL's food although service was lacking.....I am leaving this weekend on my FIRST Celebrity cruise. I know you have cruised HAL, have you cruised Celebrity yet? If so, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you.

Marie

If you noticed in my signature I sailed with Celebrity :) . It was last summer on Century. (My first cruise in NA!!!)

Food:

Buffets: I will give HAL an advantage in this area...(At least on Zuiderdam)

More different stations and food. More fresh juices. ( around 8 different kinds). Sushi available during the lunch. (Celebrity also has sushi bar , but it is open only 6-10 PM which interferes with dinner in DR)

Dinner: We were happy with HAL food...but I feel Celebrity is even better, more creative. And service in DR is definitely better on Celebrity. More attentive and professional. And this is understandable. On Century our team of waiters had only two tables to serve ! ( 8 and 12). It isn't only my opinion..even my 12 years old son noticed that. ;)

Anyway, IMHO both lines beat RCI in food department!

I agree with S. Johnson, it all depends upon your frame of reference. If you live in a food mecca like San Francisco and/or you're a very good cook, you won't be impressed with any mass or premium cruiseline food. You'll have to sail a luxury line to be excited about the food. That said, the service is very nice in the main dining room. The food in the main dining room IMHO is the equivalent of a Hyatt or Marriott banquet meal. The buffet is downright awful with the exception of the Spa Cafe on the Millenium class ships. The Spa Cafe has the most imaginative and nicely prepared food on the ship even if it is very casual. The specialty restaurant is okay and I get the feeling that the staff is just trying too hard - service was overbearing and awkward. Overall, I hear such raves about the food and I hope that people aren't disappointed if they place too much emphasis on food during their cruise. It's a total package - service, ambiance, table mates and then food quality. I don't think the food detracts from the overall cruise experience with Celebrity. I know I'll get some flaming from the diehards!

We were having an interesting discussion in another thread about the differences in food between the various "levels" of cruise lines. It's always fun to read all of the different opinions on cruise food -- it's such a subjective topic. But I have definitely found it useful to read others' perspectives.

Here's mine: I truly enjoyed the food on Celebrity. To me it was comparable to the food in a really nice chain restaurant, or premium hotel (as vacamama mentioned). Was it Michelin 3-star worthy? No. But do I enjoy my dinners out at nice chain restaurants? Sure! I've also had a few dinners at REALLY fine restaurants, and that is an entirely different thing (which I'm expecting to experience on my upcoming Radisson cruise.)

One of the best parts of dining on Celebrity was that dinner was always an event. We've been blessed with fantastic waiters who got to know us and went out of their way to entertain us, while always maintaining an air of refinement. We've also been blessed with just wonderful tablemates, although I know that's not always the case! But anyway, sticking to the actual topic of this thread, ;) I've never been disappointed with a meal on Celebrity. There were occasional dishes that weren't particularly good, but hey, there are so many options that you just don't eat those.

This is in comparison to my cruises on RCCL, in which the food to me was much spottier -- a few dishes were really tasty, but most of it was just okay. Like eating at a mid- or lower-cost chain restaurant. Certainly edible, and more comparable to the kind of dining we do on land-based vacations, when we eat a lot of meals at inexpensive places, reserving the really nice restaurants for a few special nights.

LeeAnne

We sailed on Millie last December and thought the food was above par for cruise ships. We had abosolutely no complaints re. food and service, and loved it so much we are cruising on Century this December. Can't wait. It's the little touches that make Celebrity special. We have previously cruised Royal Carib. 2 times, and Princess once, amd my hubby is hooked on Celeb. Celebrity won't be a disappointment. Have fun.

Below is a part of a review I wrote on our Summit cruise, which was are second on Celebrity. I think it speaks for itself on this matter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We have been on Celebrity before (Millenium, Jan., 2002) and Celebrity’s slogan, “Premium cruising with a touch of luxury”, is as true now as it was then, but it is not for everyone.

I enjoyed a very negative review I read recently about Celebrity. The people had only sailed on Royal Caribbean before so this was their first cruise on Celebrity. They said they would never sail again with Celebrity. Here are a few of the better quotes. Remember these are is not my words.

“First, it is important that you know that I am not a gourmet when it comes to food. My taste buds have become very used to "Junk Food" and basic meals over the years. In some cases, this makes it difficult for me to enjoy the finer foods and dishes.”

“(ref: Waterfall Restaurant)…..the worst part was the staff members standing around waiting for you to clear the line so the could help you to a table.”

“I have spent most of my life doing for myself and only asking for help when I truly needed it. Being waited on constantly makes me feel that I am no longer capable of taking care of myself.”

So if the above sounds like your views, Celebrity is likely not for you. But if you want great service and not just “meat and potatoes” food, then Celebrity is for you.

thus reading reviews sometimes makes me laugh. The post above is a case in point. Also found one where an individual did not like exotic seasoning and tastes such as ginger or most fish and had trouble finding chicken that she wanted.... I'm sure a vichyoisse (sp?) or Gazpacho would have put her over the edge..... and let's then not forget sushi....

Below is the quote that is on this site where the Cruise was given a 2 star rating. The reviewer also had a fly nestle in a dessert that was served at an indoor buffet. While unfortunate, can that not happen at any restaurant with doors and a tropical climate????

"Our overall dining experience was less than admirable. Celebrity is known for serving great food. This is truly a matter of opinion. Celebrity has a menu that is filled with exotic foods and for my fiancée and me the food was a little too exotic. We didn't mind trying the different menu selections. I was intrigued by the variety. However if I try something on the menu that I've never had before, I expect it to be cooked to my taste and satisfaction. I don't eat Quail or Oxtail soup with Sherry Ginger on a regular basis so if I try these menu items, I expect them to taste well and if it is not prepared to my liking then I would expect an option to get something familiar like Grilled Chicken. Now there were days where we were able to substitute Salmon for something that did not appear to be appetizing, however if you are allergic to seafood and you don't eat beef, or if you are just a plain vegetarian, you have little to choose from. I spoke with Guest Relations about this I was told that the ship can prepare special meals but they have to be notified in advance. I don't know how well in advance but please be reminded that the food in the Grand Restaurant may not be as good as what you've heard. The presentation is excellent. The wait staff is superb but the quality and quantity in the food is less than favorable. There is one exception. I told our waiter that we like cheesecake. The next day we had cheesecake for dessert. Our waiter was really great. My fiancée and I ate in the Sky Bar Restaurant on the last night of our cruise. I wish we had eaten there every night. The service is comparable to that in the Grand Restaurant, it is more intimate and the menu is more flexible. Not to mention, you can get certain foods cooked to order. The food in the Grand Restaurant is not cooked to order. It is cooked that day, but not cooked to order. The Sky Bar is much better, plus you are guaranteed a table for two. The Grand Restaurant has a few tables for two but if you get a table for two you’re lucky. My fiancée and I were able to get a table for two because only half of the people sailed. I liked the Sky Bar Restaurant. I wish we had eaten there more."

Then you have those expecting the opposite and wanting Michelin 3 star for prices that frankly not far off Olive Garden.

We have I think fairly refined tastes and are expecting very good value for the money, but are realistic as well.

DH and I were once tablemates on a Princess cruise with a family of 5 adults from the farmlands of Indiana. While four of the five opted for hearty meat and potatoe choices, the fifth (a woman in her '60s) declined order the appetizer, soup and entree courses and only picked at her salad.

When asked by our waiter if there was anything not on the menu that he could get for the woman to eat, she simply told him not to worry. Her family members grinned and said she'd be heading for the pizzeria buffet right after she left the dining room. ``That's what she always does,'' they said as the salad nibbler just smiled and nodded her head in agreement.

Moral of the story: While not every dining venue on a particular ship at a particular time is for everyone in the crowd, there seems to be some type of food somewhere that can bring a smile to the mouth as well as the tummy. ---And no one ever has to go to bed hungry, unless, of course, they have stapled their lips shut.

Moral of the story: While not every dining venue on a particular ship at a particular time is for everyone in the crowd, there seems to be some type of food somewhere that can bring a smile to the mouth as well as the tummy. ---And no one ever has to go to bed hungry, unless, of course, they have stapled their lips shut.

Great quote! :) I couldn't agree more. If you can't find something you like to eat on a Celebrity cruise, you are simply unpleasable.

LeeAnne

They are living off an old reputation and are resting on their laurels. Don't believe the hype and go in with high expectations and you probably won't be disappointed. Early in Celebrity's existance the food was complex and creative as was the presentation. It has been "dumbed down" through the years. There was tableside preparation, variety of sauces, and even up to a few years ago things like potato baskets and a variety of vegetables. Now it is a lot of the same vegetables and potatoes and vegetables cut in a similar manner served pretty much on a daily basis.

Specialty restaurant is better, some of the old menus are served there.

98 Charlie, As a Hoosier who has experienced over 15 cruises, I object to your "Farmlands of Indiana" label for the family you reference. I notice you are from Ohio, which seems to also have it's share of "farmland." All Indiana residents are not clueless rubes, as you have portrayed them!

From DCosby: All Indiana residents are not clueless rubes, as you have portrayed them!
Where did we (DW wrote the original but I am responding) portray all Hoosiers as rubes? The fact is that the family that we were seated with was from a rural area of Indiana and some members of the group made a living from farming.

4 of 5 enjoyed a variety of food from the menu. One did not but admitted that she always has had little desire to eat most of the items offered in the dining room and preferred pizza.

The point of the post was that "there seems to be some type of food somewhere" on a cruise ship for everyone.

Questions:

1. What is wrong with being from a rural area? DW & I were both born and raised on farms. (OK, we were born in hospitals to farmer's wives).

2. Does having 15 cruises make you more sophisticated? If you had only 5 cruises would you have no objection to using the word Farmland. (We have only 7 since we started 23 months ago.)

Sincerely Proud to be from the Farmlands of the Midwest,

Charlie :)

Hi Charlie and Dianne:) 7 in 2 years? You are making up for lost time:D .........Let's see....this coming May will be 2 years since I started "CRUISING"....I am almost there with you......this will be my 3rd time on CENTURY.....once on Mercury, once on Sovereign of the Seas (that only counts as 1/2~it was a 3 nighter:rolleyes: ) and once on HAL~so I will have 6 in 24 months! WOW.....didn't realize how fast 2 years goes by!

And I love farmers too:) ......where we would be without them???.........Idaho wouldn't have any potatoes......Indiana grows a lot of wheat If I am correct....and I love those WHEATIES....and here in Florida we have a pretty good crop of citrus trees:)

My 2 cruises on Celebrity included 15 dinners that were memorable, each and every one. Everything from soup to salad to dessert was very good to excellent. I've sailed 11 times on RCCL and the best meal couldn't hold a candle to any of the meals on Celebrity.

The chilled soups were unbelievable as were the desserts, the Paris Brest and creme brule were superb.

All of the beef entrees were cooked to perfection and as beef is not something I have a talent for preparing, I ordered the beef entree whenever available.

The service and presentation of every course was excellent.

For me, the food was definitely a highlight of both of my Celebrity cruises.

Reggie:D

"Our overall dining experience was less than admirable. Celebrity is known for serving great food. This is truly a matter of opinion. Celebrity has a menu that is filled with exotic foods and for my fiancée and me the food was a little too exotic. We didn't mind trying the different menu selections. I was intrigued by the variety. However if I try something on the menu that I've never had before, I expect it to be cooked to my taste and satisfaction. I don't eat Quail or Oxtail soup with Sherry Ginger on a regular basis so if I try these menu items, I expect them to taste well and if it is not prepared to my liking then I would expect an option to get something familiar like Grilled Chicken. Now there were days where we were able to substitute Salmon for something that did not appear to be appetizing, however if you are allergic to seafood and you don't eat beef, or if you are just a plain vegetarian, you have little to choose from. I spoke with Guest Relations about this I was told that the ship can prepare special meals but they have to be notified in advance. I don't know how well in advance but please be reminded that the food in the Grand Restaurant may not be as good as what you've heard. The presentation is excellent. The wait staff is superb but the quality and quantity in the food is less than favorable. There is one exception. I told our waiter that we like cheesecake. The next day we had cheesecake for dessert. Our waiter was really great. My fiancée and I ate in the Sky Bar Restaurant on the last night of our cruise. I wish we had eaten there every night. The service is comparable to that in the Grand Restaurant, it is more intimate and the menu is more flexible. Not to mention, you can get certain foods cooked to order. The food in the Grand Restaurant is not cooked to order. It is cooked that day, but not cooked to order. The Sky Bar is much better, plus you are guaranteed a table for two. The Grand Restaurant has a few tables for two but if you get a table for two you’re lucky. My fiancée and I were able to get a table for two because only half of the people sailed. I liked the Sky Bar Restaurant. I wish we had eaten there more."

I know we already discussed this "review"...but the prase I hilighted makes me laugh every time I read it!

Archived