How to have a great cruise

toniwoods

There is constantly so much debate on the boards about what constitutes a great cruise vs. a mediocre cruise etc., what lines are better than others etc. Having just spent 14 glorious nights aboard the Millennium in the Med, I would like to offer up some tips on what I think can help you have a great cruise.

First off, let me say that I am a huge Celebrity fan, but I will try to offer an unbiased opinion. I also have never experienced a bad cruise, but I imagine that with some of the cruises I have been on, others would beg to differ.

Tip #1 - Do your homework. Find a really good cruise agent and stick with that person. IMHO, a really good cruise agent is one who cruises often and to different destinations and knows all of the ins and outs of the cruiselines, ports etc. I was astounded on my recent cruise at how many of the passengers were shocked that on a European cruise there were......of all things....Europeans!!! I think many people tend to think of Celebrity as an "American" cruise line. Perhaps this is true in the Caribbean, but once the ships move to the other side of the world, interesting things happen. Yes folks, Europeans, Asians etc. do take cruises and they take them on Celebrity and other cruiselines!

Tip #2 - Stop debating which cruise line is better and don't worry about what others think. As with restaurants, hotel chains, etc., it is all a matter of personal preference (see Tip #1). Once again, do your homework.

Tip #3 - Children. If you are bothered by children, do not cruise during the summer months or holiday breaks. You are only setting yourself up for disaster.

Tip #4 - Do not blame the cruise line for things that are beyond their control such as lost baggage etc. If the airlines lose your bags, it is not the cruiseline's fault. We had several passengers on our recent cruise who did not get their bags for several days into the cruise. One of them was a woman at our table. She was the most wonderful, elegant, classy individual. Even though she showed up at dinner for the first three nights wearing the same outfit, she had such an incredible attitude ("I'm not dying of a terminal illness"), that we all had an enormous amount of respect for her.

Tip #5 - Maintain a positive attitude. See Tip #4. We all experience little annoyances on a daily basis. Do not expect to get on a cruise ship for a week or longer and have EVERYTHING be perfect. It just doesn't happen -- in the real world or on a cruise.

Tip #6 - You did not book passage on a slave ship. Treat the staff with the utmost respect and you will be amazed at what you get in return. Remember, they are people too. Perhaps this should have been Tip #1. I was amazed at one couple I overhead talking about how they didn't like Celebrity because "on Princess, the staff waited on us hand and foot." Puh-leeze.

Tip #7 - Treat your fellow passengers with respect. I know the saving chairs issue has been beaten to death on these boards, but I was still amazed. I would go out very early in the a.m. for a swim (not many people in the pool at 7:00 a.m., even in the Med!) and see towels and personal belongings on 10 or 12 chairs. When I would leave around 10:00 a.m. (done with my sun for the day), all of those things were still on the chairs and I had seen neither hide nor hair of any human beings attached to the belongings. Amazing. Also, if you take a ship organized shore excursion, be considerate of your tour guide and your fellow passengers. We had an issue in Pompeii where we spent 1/2 hour waiting on the bus for 3 wayward passengers, who were ultimately left behind in Pompeii. They took a cab back to the ship, arrived before the remaining 35 of us who were on the bus did, and then had the audacity to ask for a complete refund of the price paid for the shore excursion. Meanwhile, they had completed 7/8ths of the tour. They had been to Capri, had lunch in Sorrento and visited Pompeii. What was really terrible about the situation was that they had a young teenage daughter with them. What a sad example for parents to set.

Tip #8 - Enjoy yourselves. Relax, kick back...talk with your fellow passengers. It's interesting getting to know people from all over the world. And remember -- nothing in life can be as good as spending time on a beautiful ship, great food, service, shows, enjoying the onboard activities etc. I'd go back tomorrow!

Toni,

BRAVO!!! You did a wonderful job. I think everyone that takes a cruise on any line should print out your post and take it with them.

Do you think you could run for President???

I'm so glad you had a great time on Millie in Europe. We did her last year for 13 nights. It was great and yes it was full of Europeans. The Americans were in the minority, big time.

Hopefully, some day I'll get to meet you on a cruise. You sound very classy yourself.

Anne Maria

Toniwoods, I agree with your tips and would like to add one more. Some people feel that they need to see everything worth seeing in every port, which creates undue stress. Just plan to do as little or as much as you want because you can always go back and see what you missed at another time.

a very nice post, thank you for taking your time and putting it out there. It always amazes me how some people will do things and have no idea, nor care how they are effecting others. I would have been holding my tongue and my foot with both hands had I been around those folks who took the cab, thanks agin, always take it as it comes.

Well said Toni,

You missed out the 'And meet lots of fabulous classy people and be yourself'. We did, we met four of the nicest, classiest people that we could have ever have hoped to meet and we love them all to bits. It broke our hearts to leave them and so much look forward to seeing them again. That's right Toni isn't it.

One thing we enjoy the most is meeting interesting people on our cruises. We have been fortunate to have delightful tablemates on almost all of our cruises. We meet people all over the ship - waiting in line for dinner, waiting for the entertainment to start, on our excursions, at the cocktail parties - all over! The above tips are great!

Just go with the flow.. relax.. this is a vacation and while some I have read about have truly been a disaster some people do whine about things that are better off just being ignored... Kind of like people complaining about kids in Las Vegas.. people bring them, you cannot stop them from bringing them... I know they are a pain but honestly do you think getting upset about it is going to change it??

Anyway.... most of the time just plan to have fun.. if you cannot get what you planned for be flexible.. if you try something new then maybe you will be blown away!!!!

I would also say don't be afraid to talk to people.. I always am and I am ALWAYS sorry I did not try to socialize more..

BRAVO

The words you put down could not have been said any better. One final tip

Join the Celebrity Connection and roll calls for your cruise, even if you are an experienced cruiser (maybe someone else is on their first cruise and can profit from your experience) and you can meet some of the most wonderful people, that by the time you board the ship you have friends on board. I know my husband and I did......many thanks to Andy and Bea and Toni and Sam......you people are the best

Archived