Just got off Radiance this morning

I have to say right now Im so upset the only thing I can possibly say about Royal is that the Radiance of the Seas is a beautiful ship. Most of the employees are really good. I was one of the passengers who fell ill. Apparantly we were told that 50 guests went on an excursion in Costa Maya and brought it back on board. They DID NOT seek medical attention right away so it spread pretty quickly. THe dr told me she had seen 100 people and expected it to reach 75% of the ship before done. I was quaranteened to my room for over 24 hours. I missed Cozumel all together. They regulated what ever you ate too. They told me to order room service and when I went to order milk for my tea they refused me. BTW-I used hand sanitizer constantly and did not touch any rails with my hands and I wont use the public bathrooms either. Six people in our group got it. One was my daugher's boyfriends grandmother. She was so sick, she spent almost the entire cruise in her room. She had to be given Iv's 2x's, antibiotics and other meds. They also segregated the sick people from debarking with everyone else. They had to stay in their rooms till everyone was released, They released me earlier into the well group. The last night of my cruise, the room across from me had a water pipe broke. Their room was flooded and they had to move them. I went back to my room after late dinner-and my room was flooded to. They did nothing for us. YOu couldn't get any sleep bc they were working on the leak all night. Also, the last nite was lobster nite and they ran out. When my husband asked for a steak bc he was still hungry-they told him they were sorry the kitchen was closing early bc they had to sanitize the dininning room and told him to order room service for a sandwich. They took all the salt, butter and creamers off the tables in the dining room. They put paper packets of salt n pepper on the talbe. If you wanted butter, they would serve you a piece. They did not let you handle a menu. The waiters held them out and read them to you. In the windjammer, they served you-which I something I liked bc I never ate there bc I dont like everyone touching my food. I did receive a letter of apology from Royal saying they were going to give me future cruise credit but I think the wording was something to the effect you would be credited for the amount of time you were isolated. Im going to calm down and get some rest and then sit down and write Royal a letter.

It sounds like they did everything right. I hope in the letter you thank them for taking such serious precautions in the dining room.

You may have personally not touched handrails, used public bathrooms, etc., but you were traveling with a large group. Some of them were probably not as cautious and then you were exposed closely to them.

I generally only travel with my husband. Rarely do we get sick but when we do, he gets something first and then I get it from him every time. He spends a lot of time using public toilets, too. :eek:

The ship didn't try to show you a bad time. They did what they could to keep it from ruining everyone's time. 75% of the ship did not get ill. It wasn't even 10% at last count. I would be glad for any future cruise credit I received.

Gina

Ugh. I am so sorry. My friends were on this cruise, and four of the five in their party also fell ill. They received the same letter you did, but honestly the one day of being quarentined does not even come close to feeling lousy (drained, etc.) for the next day or two. One day worth of credit seems a bit low. (She knows they are just feeling a bit miffed because the cruise didn't start off on a good note as it was...with boarding late with little to no direction on what to do as far as that was concerned. They were told to come back to the port at a certain time, which they did, and were turned away for another two hours or so.)

Anyway, hope you are feeling better soon.

Maybe someone can confirm this, as I think I've seen it posted elsewhere: hand sanitizers are ineffective against norovirus. The best defense is frequent, proper hand washing.

This is the risk you take when cruising, and it's unfair to blame the cruise line. They appear to have done all they could to stop the spread and help those who were sick.

1. I am not a RCCL cheerleader, in fact I have never sailed with them.

2. I have worked in travel for over 12 years. (Airline/head office/travel agt)

*just so you know where I am coming from..

having been on a ship that just had Noro *years ago I think that RCCL cruiseline did everything they could to keep other pax from getting ill. They can not control what illnesses are brought on board. their first duty is to keep other guests from getting ill.

We live in a time of "me first" everyone knows if you are sick on a cruise, you are to report it, and stay in your cabin. People don't because "they don't want to ruin their vacation, they paid for it and they have a right to use it.. "

When I was on the my ship, I also missed a port. oh well, i felt like death, not the end of the world IMPO. better I stayed in my cabin, then passed around what I had picked up.

I am sure they refused dairy because most people know and understand when you are ill, the BRAT diet is what you need to get you better faster. Not Dairy.

I think the fact that RCCL is going to give you a credit is more then they need to do. RCCL did not get y ou sick, 50 pax who did not report it did. The cruiseline is the one taking the bigger hit, not you. You lost what, maybe $300.00? Think about the cruiseline here.. they lost $300.00 X pax, plus lost rev from bar, plus bad press.. plus plus plus..

I am sorry you got ill on your cruise. I am sorry you did not get the "full cruise" that you paid for, but I do think that RCCL did a good job inlight of what happened.

T

Maybe someone can confirm this, as I think I've seen it posted elsewhere: hand sanitizers are ineffective against norovirus. The best defense is frequent, proper hand washing.

This is the risk you take when cruising, and it's unfair to blame the cruise line. They appear to have done all they could to stop the spread and help those who were sick.

Apparently this is correct.

http://www2.state.id.us/phd7/forms/eh/is%20quaternary%20ammonium%20effective%20against%20norovirus.pdf

The ship is being thoroughly bleached right now but with the need for areas to be sanitized for at least 5 minutes....well....who knows if that can happen. This article states that many surfaces will be damaged from such bleach exposure as we well know.

Some places say if the alcohol is combined with benzalkonium chloride it can be effective against Norovirus. Of course, Norovirus hasn't been identified as the cause of this problem yet.

Gina

Since I'm one of the people getting on the ship later today, I'm trying to go with as much precaution as I can! I bought an aerosol can of Lysol spray to take and douse our room. The label lists norovirus as one of the viruses Lysol kills. Wish me luck!

Since I'm one of the people getting on the ship later today, I'm trying to go with as much precaution as I can! I bought an aerosol can of Lysol spray to take and douse our room. The label lists norovirus as one of the viruses Lysol kills. Wish me luck!

keep us posted if you can once you are onboard.. be safe and take care!

It really looks like the cruise line followed all the standard procedures for preventing other passengers from becoming sick. I know it's an inconvenience, but you can get sick anywhere. It's unfortunate that it happened on your cruise. What if it had been a 17 day transatlantic cruise as happened to my husband and myself. Everything was shut down, we missed lots of ports, and we received no cruise credits for our inconveniences. However, it wasn't Royal Caribbean. I only wish it had been. We find this cruise line to be more than fair.

Apparently this is correct.

http://www2.state.id.us/phd7/forms/eh/is%20quaternary%20ammonium%20effective%20against%20norovirus.pdf

The ship is being thoroughly bleached right now but with the need for areas to be sanitized for at least 5 minutes....well....who knows if that can happen. This article states that many surfaces will be damaged from such bleach exposure as we well know.

Some places say if the alcohol is combined with benzalkonium chloride it can be effective against Norovirus. Of course, Norovirus hasn't been identified as the cause of this problem yet.

Gina

There is an advisory on RCCL's home page about the Radiance. They are stating that it was the norovirus that caused the outbreak. They also state they aren't boarding the ship until 6PM tonight.

I'm so sorry this happened to the OP. What a miserable cruise.

There is an advisory on RCCL's home page about the Radiance. They are stating that it was the norovirus that caused the outbreak. They also state they aren't boarding the ship until 6PM tonight.

I'm so sorry this happened to the OP. What a miserable cruise.

I wonder why RCI would jump the gun and say it's Norovirus? Or is the CDC so far behind that they have their website still stating the causative agent is unknown? Of course we know how things go with the RCI website....look at the pictures of the staterooms that are many years old. Someone seems to post what they want to over there from time to time. People do get diarrhea and vomiting from other germs, too.

I spoke too soon about RCI. It doesn't say people have norovirus. It says this: "a number of guests onboard experienced some gastrointestinal illness." And it does go on to explain what norovirus is but it never attributes the illness onboard directly to it. It is carefully worded.

Gina

I have to say right now Im so upset the only thing I can possibly say about Royal is that the Radiance of the Seas is a beautiful ship. Most of the employees are really good. I was one of the passengers who fell ill. Apparantly we were told that 50 guests went on an excursion in Costa Maya and brought it back on board. They DID NOT seek medical attention right away so it spread pretty quickly. THe dr told me she had seen 100 people and expected it to reach 75% of the ship before done. I was quaranteened to my room for over 24 hours. I missed Cozumel all together. They regulated what ever you ate too. They told me to order room service and when I went to order milk for my tea they refused me. BTW-I used hand sanitizer constantly and did not touch any rails with my hands and I wont use the public bathrooms either. Six people in our group got it. One was my daugher's boyfriends grandmother. She was so sick, she spent almost the entire cruise in her room. She had to be given Iv's 2x's, antibiotics and other meds. They also segregated the sick people from debarking with everyone else. They had to stay in their rooms till everyone was released, They released me earlier into the well group. The last night of my cruise, the room across from me had a water pipe broke. Their room was flooded and they had to move them. I went back to my room after late dinner-and my room was flooded to. They did nothing for us. YOu couldn't get any sleep bc they were working on the leak all night. Also, the last nite was lobster nite and they ran out. When my husband asked for a steak bc he was still hungry-they told him they were sorry the kitchen was closing early bc they had to sanitize the dininning room and told him to order room service for a sandwich. They took all the salt, butter and creamers off the tables in the dining room. They put paper packets of salt n pepper on the talbe. If you wanted butter, they would serve you a piece. They did not let you handle a menu. The waiters held them out and read them to you. In the windjammer, they served you-which I something I liked bc I never ate there bc I dont like everyone touching my food. I did receive a letter of apology from Royal saying they were going to give me future cruise credit but I think the wording was something to the effect you would be credited for the amount of time you were isolated. Im going to calm down and get some rest and then sit down and write Royal a letter.

I'm sorry you got ill on this cruise. And I do not question for 1 second that you were ill. I have a few questions.

What was the order of stops in the itinerary? was Costa Maya on day 3 (Wednesday) and Cozumel the next day?

It sounds like the Costa Maya excursion people might be a stretch. It takes about a day and a half to become ill from the sickness once exposed. If they brought it back from Costa Maya, their spread of the noro seems like it would be a little later in the cruise.

When did they start limiting food access in the MDR and Windjammer?

Some cheerleaders make it sound like RCI did/does all they can to protect the food. But I have seen and photographed dozens of times when Vessel Sanitation Programs for sneeze guards are not followed. It really pixxes me off when I see the failure to follow these guidelines. I get even madder when their response was their last CDC inspection score was perfect.

Look back at any of your photos that might show food displays early in the cruise. Here are three photos from examples on different ships. Where are the sneeze guards?

liberty2.jpg

independence2.jpg

eclipse.png

RCI knows this is wrong and should be ashamed.

They did everything right and need to take those necessary precautions. Its not their fault that this occured.

Before those passengers got sick they probably went to dinner in the dining room(bringing the virus with them!). Everything they touched in that dining room.. from the silverware to chairs they sat in, needs to be disinfected. They are very right to take away the salt and pepper shakers and replace with packets. Bleach kills viruses best. Things need to be disinfected. Such as the kitchen, and dining room as you mentioned. That is where food is prepared and consumed and the virus is just brewing in those areas.

Althought its great that you were using hand sanitizers. Alcohol might not be strong enough to get the virus off your hands. Handwashing is best.

I can relate to this as we currently have the flu visiting at work. I'm not calling corporate and yelling at them(although i do have other things to yell at them about but thats a different can of worms) because I'm inconvienced by putting on a mask before entering a patient's room, and having to wash my hands so many times making them dry as a chalkboard. Things happen.

keep us posted if you can once you are onboard.. be safe and take care![/quo

According to the CDC in Atlanta the virus coukd get in the food suppy on board and I think that its takes a few sailings before the virus is gone. You can do all the handwashing you want but be carefull what you eat stay away from salads and fresh fruits. I dont think the cruislines dump the food.

I wonder why RCI would jump the gun and say it's Norovirus? Or is the CDC so far behind that they have their website still stating the causative agent is unknown? Of course we know how things go with the RCI website....look at the pictures of the staterooms that are many years old. Someone seems to post what they want to over there from time to time. People do get diarrhea and vomiting from other germs, too.

I spoke too soon about RCI. It doesn't say people have norovirus. It says this: "a number of guests onboard experienced some gastrointestinal illness." And it does go on to explain what norovirus is but it never attributes the illness onboard directly to it. It is carefully worded.

Gina

pretty good guess even if they didn't say it?

OP I know if this had happened to me, I would be upset too. Write .. dont let the cheerleaders sway you. Flooded cabin, getting sick, no lobster, shut down the dining room .. I think a lot of legitimate complaints, even if getting sick wasnt their fault .. I would not want to be quanitined, and who knows if RCL could or could not have stopped the spread.. the other things are under RCL's control.. I know they have compensated others whose cabins got flooded.

At the risk of sounding like a cheerleader...:rolleyes:

So sorry to hear about your bad experience. These outbreaks have become somewhat common during the winter months on cruises. I haven't heard of too many this year, but past years have had many cases. Point is, please don't blame RCI for that particular incident. The way they responded, though uncomfortable, is a standard response among all the cruise lines when this happens. As for the effectiveness of sanitizer, well, when it comes to this stuff, you are better protected by constant hand washing with soap and hot water.

As for the flooding problem....yea, that is a Radiance thing. It has been a problem on that ship for years now and they are well aware of it. Hopefully the upcoming dry dock will take care of it, but in the meantime, this just keeps happening on that ship. In late 2009, my room flooded twice on a Radiance cruise.

A couple years ago, despite taking every precaution known to man, I contracted the Noro. I was quarantined for 4 days. Although I didn't ask for it, and didn't hold the ship responsible for my illness, I received $100 future credit for each day I was quarantined-a very nice gesture I thought.

My feelings are that I am certainly blessed to have the money, time, and health to be able to cruise, and life is pretty darn good. People get sick and the fact that it happened to me on board was simply some bad luck. Noro is not pleasant, but it is little more than an inconvenience. Sure I was disappointed to miss ports and be locked up, but no big deal.

Ship happens.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Do you get a bill for going to the nurse/doctor on board?

If more people believed in herbal medicine, there would be less of it on the ship.

I am now taking essential oils with me. You put in on a tissue and sniff the tissue every hour or so. It kills any bacteria that is in the nose.

I also drink a herbal tea that helps detoxify your body.

Hope everyone on that ship feels better.

I will be on the Radiance this coming Thursday.

If more people believed in herbal medicine, there would be less of it on the ship.

I am now taking essential oils with me. You put in on a tissue and sniff the tissue every hour or so. It kills any bacteria that is in the nose.

That's super. But, since the norovirus is a... virus, I don't see how this helps.

Big difference between bacteria and virus.

Visits to the doctor for a gastrointestinal illness are free. They state this in the cruise compass because they want to get control over this problem right away rather than having people not confess to it because they don't want a bill.

Any other physical problems that you are seen for - the bill will be much higher than a land based doctor.

Gina

They did everything right

You were there, so you know this for sure?? Im always amazed when people start judging and taking sides how they know the RCL is blameless.

Running out of lobster?? How could this have happened?? cabin flooded, closing down the food early etc .. sounds to me like a few things the OP might have found fault with.

Im not saying its RCL's fault the OP got sick .. but how it was handled, who knows if it could have been handled better or not .. we were not there.

Archived