Let's talk Sun menus

4 weeks to go and I am so obsessed I can not stand myself. DH is ready to block CC, because I am always on reading posts. The one thing that I have not seen is any menus for the Sun.

Does anyone have them or have a great memory to let me know what I will be obsessing about next?

Thanks for all the help this site has given.

That is one thing I didn't think to bring home -- I have the dailies, but not the menus.

For the most part, there will be one beef entree, one fish entree, one poultry entree, and one other (pork/lamb/pasta) entree each night. Some of the things I particularly remember off the menus: Steak cooked a couple of different ways, Beef Wellington, Prime Rib, Macademia nut encrusted prawns (absolutely wonderful), lobster. The chilled soups are wonderful -- if you've never tried them, I recommend them. Our favorites included one with mango and another with banana. We liked the chilled avocado, my kids didn't. Desserts included cherries jubilee, baked alaska, bananas foster. By the way, these were all from the main dining room -- we didn't try any of the specialty restaurant.

Are you hungry yet??? By the way, we really enjoyed the food. I know lots of posters complain about NCL's food, but we have yet to find anything we didn't like.

Hi,

I've been obsessing over finding the Sun menus for a few weeks with no luck. Someone does have the freestyle dailies from the Sun scanned in to read, though. I can't remember which post, but do a search for freestyle dailies and see what you get. Good luck!! :)

HI again,

I found it ! Do a search for freestyle dailies. On the results, go down to the post sailing on the sun by Kathylee. One of her responses has the freestyle dailies link. Hope this helps.:)

for the different ships... you can look at them for any of the NCL 1 week cruises, and I'm pretty sure they'll be the same... here they are from the Sun, and they're the same as my last Majesty cruise... :)

http://www.ontheseas.com/menus.htm

Thanks so much for the web site with the dailies and menus. My mouth is watering already and I can hardly wait to try some of these dishes. What astonishes me is that I found myself picking many of the "cooking light" dishes. Who'd have ever guessed. I love the travel part but the chance to try different dishes than you can get in my part of the world is also a great perk. Thanks for the insight on the web site.:D

I may be wrong, but I don't think the menus are 100% the same. I distinctly remember ordering a pork dish on the Sea the night they served lobster, and it wasn't one of the choices available on the Sun on lobster night (lobster's not my thing). Many of the entrees looked like familiar choices, but there was some variation between them -- at least one choice I remembered from the Sea never showed up on the Sun's menu. My DH and I also noticed differences in the desserts between the 2 ships. Our 1st 2 cruises were only about 5 months apart, so I wouldn't have expected a whole new set of menus during that time.

However, I'm sure that ones that are posted are a good representation, even if they're not always exact replicas. Anybody with more NCL cruises under their belt have any more information than I do?

That is one thing that makes me think they're not exactly "cookie cutter" menus. You'll have to let us know when you get back.

By the way, I can't think of a better place to spend 18 days than on the Sun. Some day....

• 2 weeks later...

pookie9922,

I LOVE your avatar. It is so EXCELLENT!!:D

originally posted by ute_fan

Some of the things I particularly remember off the menus: Steak cooked a couple of different ways, Beef Wellington, Prime Rib, Macademia nut encrusted prawns (absolutely wonderful), lobster. The chilled soups are wonderful -- if you've never tried them, I recommend them. Our favorites included one with mango and another with banana. We liked the chilled avocado, my kids didn't. Desserts included cherries jubilee, baked alaska, bananas foster. By the way, these were all from the main dining room -- we didn't try any of the specialty restaurant.

Are you hungry yet??? By the way, we really enjoyed the food.

YES! I am hungry now! the Mac nut encrusted prawns were my favorite dish on the Sun. As to menu similarities between ships, I have found that there are quite a few (especially for the first night), but that the MNE Prawns, while available on the Sun, are not on the Star or the Spirit. :( I kept looking for it on our Alaska cruise on the Star last June, but, alas, it was not to be found. Luckily there were hundreds of things, including equally wonderful desserts, to console me:D . On my Star cruise, I also discovered the fried fondue appetizer on "Presidents Menu" night. Oh my. I could have eaten a whole plate of those and foregone the main course. Not dessert, though, as I love the "floating islands" dessert that goes with this menu.

The specialty restaurant menus do not change from night to night.

Just a reminder: Don't forget about breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms! Some of my favorite meals were at these times, namely the pear blintzes with walnut, frittata, cuban sandwich, rhubarb crumble (YUM!).

Well, it's off to the kitchen for me. I'll be eating Berry Burst Cheerios, but I'll be dreaming cruise food.

• 6 years later...

The menu's that are posted above are very old menus. They discontinued the connection with Cooking Light at least a few years ago it seems to me and the menus went under a change at that time. They were all changed again last summer.

This thread has a pdf of the new menus http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1460766&highlight=new+menu

We did not think they were as good as what they previously had. We sailed the Sun in January and March of last year before the change and then the Epic in October after the change. We didn't know if it was because we were in the Med that the food didn't seem as good - different suppliers, etc. (our first cruise on the Epic we thought the food was very good - Sept. 2010)

One dish I remember in particular was the spaghetti carbonara. It was wonderful on the Sun last year, but on the Epic the sauce left much to be desired.

We will be on the Sun again a week :), so I am anxious to see what we think.

We are cruising the Sun in October and plan to dine mostly in the specialty restaurants. Sad to say it, but the MDR food on all lines has taken a severe nosedive in both quality and variety.

I don't disagree with you regarding MDR dining falling off, but my experience on Sun is that some of the MDR dishes are as good as or in some cases better than some of the Specialty venues. So while we always enjoy dining at the specialty spots, we also enjoy the MDR - we always stroll by the reception area and check out that nights MDR menus before deciding where to eat.

Can someone give me an example of Regional Specialties? Do you have to remember to ask or will your waiter volunteer that information?

The regional specialties were only a week or two old when we cruised lasts October and it seemed hit or miss if we were told about them. I only remember one and it was some sort of chicken and rice dish with a coconut sauce-not all that great as I recall. The part we disliked the most was that they are not printed on the menu so the only way to find it out was to sit down ....who knows I may have missed the best dish on the ship since nothing on the printed part appealed to me one night and we went to a specialty to eat.

The regional specialties were only a week or two old when we cruised lasts October and it seemed hit or miss if we were told about them. I only remember one and it was some sort of chicken and rice dish with a coconut sauce-not all that great as I recall. The part we disliked the most was that they are not printed on the menu so the only way to find it out was to sit down ....who knows I may have missed the best dish on the ship since nothing on the printed part appealed to me one night and we went to a specialty to eat.

On the Epic last October they did have a description of the specialty dish every night - I almost think there may have been a picture too). I am hoping the Sun was just a little slow getting this. I'll be on soon to check it out myself.

We just got back off the Sun!

We ate in Ginza (Sushi) and Churrascaria (Brazilian). The Four Seasons and Seven Seas (MDR's) each had the same menu on one side and slightly different on the other (ie both had steak, one was Ribeye, the other NY Strip,) which was offered every night. The "changing" side was for the daily menus.

We really liked Ginza. The sushi was EXCELLENT. Equal to what we have at home. Also very affordable. We went with my family and split the entire menu for rolls (9 of them) and total cost was around $30.00. At Ginza you pay per item not a cover. I love eel and their eel roll as well as spicy tuna was very good in addition to their dynamite specialty roll.

Churrascaria ($20.00 cover) was fun. The food wasn't mind blowing but the experience was and our waitress (who we had run into a few times on board) was happy to see us. We had a great time. My parents went to le Bistro and my dad said he loved his swordfish. (but the last night in the MDR said the red snapper was out of this world) I think that was a chef special. Some kind of red snapper with coconut something...sorry I don't remember.

We didn't know they had dinner in the sports bar, so I would eat there (no cover they have a menu I just never knew they did food). I assume the wings on their menu are the wings we had during the superbowl. They were VERY tasty.

I would also eat more at Moderno (which is Churrascaria during the day). For lunch they had really great salads and pizza and we didn't find it until the last day at sea!!

Other highlights:

We also ordered pizza room service ($5.00) and it's HUGE! Honestly, huge and it was pretty good.

We ate most mornings in the great cafe. The scrambled eggs are pretty good and they will also make eggs to order at the waffle stations (didn't know that until the third or fourth day). The food in the MDR during the day for breakfast was ok, the only thing I saw additional was eggs benedict. Everything else you could get upstairs in great cafe.

They do lobster the first night in MDR (I think on our cruise it was in Four Seasons), if you are interested in that.

Archived