bringing vs. buying

busybusybusy

I have read several people saying that they brought alcohol in their suitcases, and then I read that you can buy a bottle from room service when you are on board and that it is not expensive. I would rather not risk an accident with a bottle if it is reasonable from room service. What do you think?

Golden Princess in 10 days!!!:D

without a problem, I enjoy piesporter reisling and found most ships dont carry it! not to worry we spend plenty on margaritas too!

I wonder if princess has a wine package? we did one on Royal caribbean and it was great!

and I think we are also on the same ship!!!

June

I have to admit that I bring one bottle of alcohol with me in luggage. It is a plastic bottle that originally was filled with Jim Beam. I just refill it and bring it along when I travel. It's in plain sight in my luggage, not hidden and no one has every questioned it. I have also carried it in my carry-on bag. Also, never has been questioned. We always travel a day or so early and enjoy having a drink in our room before going out to dinner in whatever hotel/motel we are in.

Unless you drink something that Princess doesn't offer, yo can buy on board at reasonable prices. I always buy a bottle of Grey Goose on board. It was $30 for a liter. 1.75 liters at Costco here in California is about $48. 3/4 of a liter in a grocery store or liquor store is around $32. So Princess pricess are very reasonable. You can also order liquor on the Princess site and have it delivered to your stateroom for about $2 more. Here's the link http://www.princess.com/onboard/sendagift/liquor.html

Whatever is on this list can be purchased on board for consumption in your cabin. You can get it from room service or from the lobby bar.

I have read several people saying that they brought alcohol in their suitcases, and then I read that you can buy a bottle from room service when you are on board and that it is not expensive. I would rather not risk an accident with a bottle if it is reasonable from room service. What do you think?

Golden Princess in 10 days!!!:D

We did just that.

I found the prices by the bottle on board reasonable and bought Rum, Gin, and Vodka to have in the cabin.

If they'd offered Heineken I would have bought it too

I brought a bottle of Chi Chi's Cosmopolitan along with us. It's rather hard to find, and I enjoy a cocktail while dressing for dinner. I didn't try to hide it, and had no trouble bringing it aboard. But on the other hand....don't ask what me bar bill was at the end of the cruise! ;)

I think so, too! I can't wait to go, it's been such a hectic summer!

I guess I'll take my chances and buy a bottle on board. We just like a drink or 2 while getting dressed in the evening, and I don't want to have to go to a bar and bring it back.

Room service has handy combos that include a 375 ml bottle of liquor plus mixers for a reasonable price. You can order full-size bottles also, or go to the Lobby Bar to purchase them. With baggage weight restrictions as low as they are, it sometimes doesn't make sense to carry a lot of stuff from home.

I bring my dive gear and my kilt, I don't have any extra room for alcohol in my suit cases. If you have to drink, buy the bottle onboard and save having to haul it with you. Bringing it is just too inconvenient for me.

June: Princess doesn't have a wine package like RCI ships. I've brought along a few mini bottles and we bring a few bottles of wine and pay the corkage. The minis were because we like an occasional mixed drink on our balcony but not enough to commit to a liter of one kind of liquor. So I brought along ten minis of liqueurs, rum, and vodka. I think we had four leftover.

I have to admit that I bring one bottle of alcohol with me in luggage. It is a plastic bottle that originally was filled with Jim Beam. I just refill it and bring it along when I travel. It's in plain sight in my luggage, not hidden and no one has every questioned it. I have also carried it in my carry-on bag. Also, never has been questioned. We always travel a day or so early and enjoy having a drink in our room before going out to dinner in whatever hotel/motel we are in.

Yup..exactly...me, too.....also have a bottle of sweet vermouth to go with it!

The only bourbon Princess carries is Jack Daniels...great for college kids...too much for me...so that's why I pack my own....

The prices for buying from Princess are VERY reasonable..and IF I could drink Jack Daniels I would pre-order instead of carrying on.

I do enjoy a good german wine! I have even argued with the wine steward over my wine selection...apparently what I ordered wasent supposed to "go" with the wine I ordered !

but hey I have always been a Rule Breaker!

June: Princess doesn't have a wine package like RCI ships. I've brought along a few mini bottles and we bring a few bottles of wine and pay the corkage. The minis were because we like an occasional mixed drink on our balcony but not enough to commit to a liter of one kind of liquor. So I brought along ten minis of liqueurs, rum, and vodka. I think we had four leftover.

June

Since the ship does not carry what we enjoy, o bottle of bourbon for the wife and a bottle of single malt scotch for me will be packed in our luggage. As for wine, 4 bottles will be in our carryon..:)

Question along the lines of this thread

Can I order Grey Goose Orange from Princess? I love the stuff and drink it like water. (yes, I know I have a problem:) ) Would much rather order than bring on, but I don't know if they carry it.

Question along the lines of this thread

Can I order Grey Goose Orange from Princess? I love the stuff and drink it like water. (yes, I know I have a problem:) ) Would much rather order than bring on, but I don't know if they carry it.

I know they have them both in the Wheelhouse bar.. $5.50 a pop.. You can prebuy a liter of the plain Goose for $32 and have it sitting in your room when you arrive.

I know they have them both in the Wheelhouse bar.. $5.50 a pop.. You can prebuy a liter of the plain Goose for $32 and have it sitting in your room when you arrive.

I know I can get regular, do you know if you can pre-order orange??? I just love that tangy flavor:D :D

You can also buy by the bottle in at least one bar. Ask the bartenders which bar it was. It is the same price as you would have paid at home, but you do not have to carry it. On the Coral it is the coffee bar that sells it, don't know if this is true for all the ships.

My husband is a beer fan. Last year we came on board at Seward, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan with beer in our son's backpack (except Ketchikan when I had it in a brown paper bag). No questions asked. It went through the x-ray machine on board, we picked it up and went on our way.

Here's what they charge for beer and soda on board:

Beer Package $16.95

Choose any of the following beers and receive 6 for the Price of 5; Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors, Coors Lite, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Lite.

Soda Package $9.50

Choose any 6 sodas listed below in any combination for the price of 5; Coca Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Sprite, Orange Soda, soda water, tonic water, ginger ale.

I don't know where you guys live but I can get this cheaper if I buy it off the boat. Maybe hard liquor is a better deal but if I had that in my room, I'd never leave the room since I drink a mixed drink like I do a beer and that leads to major drunkedness!

Archived