how many fit in a London black cab

rocklinmom

Maximum of 5, but two will be seated in rear facing fold-down seats. If you store your luggage in the front storage area you will be charged extra ;).

If you have you luggage with you in the back there's no extra charge, however with five of you snuggled in together it could be very crowded:eek:

:)

Thank you both - and good to know that there are taxi vans available, perhaps that would be best for us. Are they readily available at LHR? I plan on just getting in the taxi rank line and sometimes taxi vans are not available unless prebooked in advance.

Thank you both - and good to know that there are taxi vans available, perhaps that would be best for us. Are they readily available at LHR? I plan on just getting in the taxi rank line and sometimes taxi vans are not available unless prebooked in advance.

Why take a Taxi at all when there are cheaper options with services such as WW.totallydriven.co.uk which we have used for years.

I presume you are talking about taking a taxi from LHR? Why not just pre order a mini cab which will be a lot cheaper than a black cab. There are plenty of recommendations of companies on Tripadvisor. Alternatively, the tube is very efficient too. You don't say where you are trying to get to.

Well I am still deciding between two hotels, one in Mayfair and the other in Kensington. I see that we could take the tube direct from LHR to the Gloucester Rd. tube station in Kensington near that hotel. I'm not sure about doing the tube with all of our luggage (I've read that it's easier with luggage on the trains). But we are pretty able-bodied people, and my youngest is eleven, so I think we could probably do it. Does anyone know how frequently the tube runs from LHR to the Kensington area, and how much it costs per person?

Well I am still deciding between two hotels, one in Mayfair and the other in Kensington. I see that we could take the tube direct from LHR to the Gloucester Rd. tube station in Kensington near that hotel. I'm not sure about doing the tube with all of our luggage (I've read that it's easier with luggage on the trains). But we are pretty able-bodied people, and my youngest is eleven, so I think we could probably do it. Does anyone know how frequently the tube runs from LHR to the Kensington area, and how much it costs per person?

I stayed near Gloucester Road tube years ago, nice area.

We did the tube 3 weeks ago from Waterloo to our hotel in Colliers Wood. The biggest pain with luggage on the tube is riding the escalators. As long as you can handle your bags easily, it's really not that difficult. At LHR, you will be able to wheel a luggage cart right to the entrance of the actual tube station. so it's just down the escalator to the platform. Couldn't recall Gloucester Road, so checked the (wonderful) Direct Enquiries website, and according to them there are some stairs from the platform but then an elevator up to street level so pretty easy.

If you plan on using public transport in London (tube/buses), absolutely get an Oyster card at the LHR tube station. With the Oyster card, a single fare between LHR and Gloucester Road in peak times (6:30-9:30) would be 5.10, off-peak 3.10, as opposed to the cash fare of 6 pounds.

I have to say, I've also ridden on one of those rear-facing fold-down seats. It's not comfortable. At.all. I'd rather tube with luggage than do that again...

Edited by Twickenham

Be sure to agree on a set price before getting in to the vehicle. Also if they take credit cards if you want to use one.

Be sure to agree on a set price before getting in to the vehicle. Also if they take credit cards if you want to use one.