Turtle Farm?

JadeB

Anyone have any information on the Turtle Farm in Grand Caymen. I went here long time ago on a cruise and I will be coming here again. I really loved the Turtle Farm last time I came but dont remember what the name of it was or where it was located.. anyone knows itd be helpful. Thanks.

We took the local bus, I believe it was 2.50 per person each way. The bus terminal is walking distance from the port and I believe it was next to the library. The "bus" is more like a van, and it makes several stops along the way to pick up locals. Entrance to the turtle farm was around 25.00, but they had different prices depending on what you choose to do here.

• 3 weeks later...
Turtle Farm is also a conservation park and they release a lot of turtles into the wild per year.

They used to but now I understand they release hardly any to the wild and mostly are for the tourist attraction and then to be killed for local food markets. Battery turtle farming almost.

They are particularly coy about it on their website. I understand from some research that they release next to none any more.

http://www.worldanimalprotection.us.org/ending-sea-turtle-farming

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2266413/Sir-Paul-McCartney-joins-campaigners-condemn-Cayman-Turtle-Farm--Grand-Caymans-popular-tourist-attraction.

The Mail article tells the story better. I was in Mexico last year where they have an exhaustive turtle protection programme marking all the wild nests and have nightly patrols to ensure nobody interferes with them. When out snorkelling they drummed into us that you must never touch any of the turtles that swim in the shallow waters along the Mexican coast as it distresses them and can introduce disease. Yet at the Cayman Turtle Farm you are able to pick them up and pose for photos. This is exploitation I'm afraid, nothing more.

Yep...it's where they raise turtles for food.
and tourism. You can be certain there is not a happy turtle anywhere near the place and that is heartbreaking as they are beautiful to see in the wild.

Feel sure The Turtle Farm has changed lots since I was there many years ago.

Do they still sell Turtle Soup at their snack bar?

LuLu

As you've probably noticed, most Cayman places are loath to list turtle on their menu, and the farm does not put their menu on their web page according to my look today.

Paradise Restaurant does list a Turtle Burger however, if you are looking for a taste. Paradise is right downtown. IME turtle shows up on the daily specials for many places on the island . . . . I've had it Cordon Blu and it was very nice.

• 3 weeks later...
and tourism. You can be certain there is not a happy turtle anywhere near the place and that is heartbreaking as they are beautiful to see in the wild.[/quote How apparent is it that they raise the turtles for consumption? We were going to bring our grandaughter to the farm in November but she would be in tears if she knew the "truth". Are there signs posted? Can we hide it from her easily?

and tourism. You can be certain there is not a happy turtle anywhere near the place and that is heartbreaking as they are beautiful to see in the wild.[/quote How apparent is it that they raise the turtles for consumption? We were going to bring our grandaughter to the farm in November but she would be in tears if she knew the "truth". Are there signs posted? Can we hide it from her easily?

I've never been there, but I think it would be helpful for those who have been there to answer you if they knew how old your granddaughter was.

Our grandaughter is 10 years old and very much into turtles. She's also very smart. Do they talk about how they raise them for food? Are there signs posted? While I would love for her to be able to get up close and personal with the turtles I wouldn't want her in tears if she found out the truth.

Our grandaughter is 10 years old and very much into turtles. She's also very smart. Do they talk about how they raise them for food? Are there signs posted? While I would love for her to be able to get up close and personal with the turtles I wouldn't want her in tears if she found out the truth.

We are going on aug, so if no one comes around before then, I'll get back to you. Though, given they seem to cater to young kids, I doubt that aspect is in your face. However, I think I remember reading that turtle is on the menu. But, I don't think that would be much different than getting a hamburger or chicken nuggets at the zoo.

• 5 weeks later...