What's good in various ports, please

:)Hello :)

Cruising in June calling at Corfu, Koper(Slovenia), Venice, Split & Dubrovnik(Croatia) and Kotor(Montenegro).

Would welcome any advice on what is good to do and what is not worth seeing.

Thanks in advance...

I did a cruise from Venice in 2007. our itinerary was:

Venice

Dubrovnik

Ephesus

Santorini

Cofu

In Venice just walking along the Grand Canal and going to St. Marks Square is nice. Lot of picture taking opportunities. The Academy of Art is also a nice place to visit in Venice, and the Gelato Stands

In Dubrovnik, go to the walled city. The ship most likely will provide buses to the walled city. In Corfu we visited the Achilleon Palace and a Greek Monestary. The palace was ok, but the monestary was neat. the city is about a 15 min walk from the cruise terminal. Again, the ships provide shuttle buses to downtown Corfu. Hope this helps

Cruising in June calling at Corfu, Koper(Slovenia), Venice, Split & Dubrovnik(Croatia) and Kotor(Montenegro).

Thanks in advance...

This might be a good site for you to browse at the interests in each port: http://www.europeportreviews.com/

This looks like a Thomson itinerary. Pop over to their forum as you will find some good information there already (look at the Adriatic Explorer threads). Some travellers will have done this trip and returned by the time you go (me included :D) so there will be more advice and shared experiences for you to read. If you have specific questions, I can check things out and report back!!

P.S. If you do a search under the 'Search this Forum' facility (on the Thomson site) and put in either 'Adriatic' or 'Adriatic Explorer' it will bring those threads up. I'll look out for you on the site and if you have any problems finding the info, start a thread yourself and I'll see it and can find some links for you and I'm sure others will be happy to help too. I asked for help on the Forum about this trip and have had lots of good advice - it's my first time to the region so have been doing quite a bit of research!

Edited by kruzseeka
Added P.S.

Thanks in advance...

Here are my suggestions:

Koper – Look for a tour that includes a visit to Ljubijana and Lake Bled. Located in the middle of Lake Bled on Bled Island is the Church of the Assumption, which is accessible only by a special boat with a roof, called a pletna. This boat is conducted by one rower with two oars. This has to be one of the most scenic spots on Earth. Perched high above Lake Bled on the edge of a cliff is Bled Castle with provides some magnificent views of Lake Bled, Bled Island and the Alps in the distance. Ljubljana, the captain of Slovenia, is located below the hill of the Ljubljana Castle and along either side of the Ljubljana River. Walk along the river through the old part of the city to the picturesque Triple Bridge (Tromostovje) or take a boat ride along the river. If this does not interest you, then I suggest a tour to the Postojna Caves located not too far from Koper. These are the largest caves in Europe.

Venice – Walk the narrow, winding paths from Piazzale Roma to the Piazza San Marco stopping by the Ponte di Rialto (Rialto Bridge) in the true heart of Venice. Just follow the yellow "San Marco" signs on the corners of buildings. The walk from the train station or the Piazzale Roma will take 30 minutes to an hour or more, depending on your pace and how often you zigzag off the most direct route. Wander around Piazza San Marco and visit the Basilica di San Marco (St. Mark's Basilica) and the Palazzo Ducale, or Doge's Palace. Located nearby is the Ponte dei Sospiri or “Bridge of Sighs” over the Rio di Palazzo. It was erected in the year 1600 to connect the Doge's prisons, or Prigioni, with the inquisitor's rooms in the main palace. On the return to Pizzzale Roma ride the public boats called vaporetti and motoscafi that run almost constantly up and down the Grand Canal between the Piazzale Roma and the Piazza San Marco. This will give you a great overview of Venice.

Split – Walk the old city and visit Roman Emperor Diocletian’s Palace. Take a tour to the medieval walled city of Trogir that is located a short distance from Split. Trogir is located on an island and has many cobbled paths to explore. This is a really interesting little city. You should be able to do both of these excursions while in port.

Dubrovnik – You will dock in Port of Gruz, about ten minutes away from the old town. Take a bus or taxi to the old walled city. Some of the things you will want to see include: Dubrovnik Cathedral, which stands in the center of Poljana Marin Drzic.; Rectors Palace, which was build in the 15th century and was used as the governmental seat of the Ragusa Republic; and the Franciscan Monastery. Take a walk around the tops of the old city walls for some spectacular views. You will fall in love with Dubrovnik.

Kotor – Look a tour that includes a drive up the narrow, winding road from Kotor to Cetinje. The road with its 32 hair-pin turns goes through the Lovcen Mountain National Park and offers some spectacular views. Most of the tour buses return to Kotor via the coast road to offer views of Sveti Stefan and Budva – both really beautiful little coastal towns. The natural beauty of this area is spectacular.

I have posted some travel videos on Youtube that includes visits the the places listed above. Click on the link below for information on viewing these videos:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

I hope this helps.

CruzerTwo aka CruzerToo

Thanks for the reply. We are very interested in things we can do without resorting to the cruise ship excursions so will be really interested in what you do when you are there.

Also, at the end of the cruise will there be anywhere to leave luggage before going to the airport?

Hope you have a really great time.......

Are you with Thomson, poppy? If so, hold luggage is collected from outside your cabin in the early hours of your departure date. It will be taken to the airport where you will reclaim it prior to check-in. Hand luggage (with whatever you need for the day plus overnight requisites) can be lodged in a supervised area until you need to leave the ship. If you have a later flight, you can go off the ship (Corfu?) if you prefer until the time you're due to transfer to the airport. You also have free run of the ship (including food) until it's time to leave - none of this turfing you off the ship during the morning! It's a well-oiled machine and pretty efficient. If, like us you are flying from Exeter, you won't need to leave the ship until mid-afternoon for your return flight.

P.S. Have you found the Thomson forum? There's lots of info there on specifics relating to their operation.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did a cruise on AZ Journey April 25-May 9 that went to those ports. I tried to post about private tour companies I used that did great trips for us but my post was removed and I was told you are not allowed to suggest tour companies on CC. So how are we supposed to help each other if we are not allowed to give suggestions to each other?

"Unsolicited Tour Recommendation - Removed

As noted on the message board, members can't start new threads to recommend tours. Future board violations may restrict your access to the message board. No other reminder will be sent."

Send me an email and I'll give you the names of the companies. They did a fantastic job for us.I don't want to put thee information her on CC and risk being banned forever!

Edited by susiesan

Hi Susiesan

Thank you for your offer my email is ward@susanc.fsbusiness.co.uk

Looking forwarded to hearing from you.

Cheers

devonpoppy:)

Devonpoppy:

I'll email you tomorrow from my office where I have the cards of the companies we used for our stop in Koper, Slovenia and Zadar, Croatia. They did a wonderful job in ports where there isn't much information on things to do. Too bad I can't put the information here on CC.

• 6 years later...
I just did a cruise on AZ Journey April 25-May 9 that went to those ports. I tried to post about private tour companies I used that did great trips for us but my post was removed and I was told you are not allowed to suggest tour companies on CC. So how are we supposed to help each other if we are not allowed to give suggestions to each other?

"Unsolicited Tour Recommendation - Removed

As noted on the message board, members can't start new threads to recommend tours. Future board violations may restrict your access to the message board. No other reminder will be sent."

Send me an email and I'll give you the names of the companies. They did a fantastic job for us.I don't want to put thee information her on CC and risk being banned forever!

You can put the info out because someone asked for it. You just can't make a post talking about tours if nobody asks.