Choosing a line for Greek Islands

JPH814

One of the items on my bucket list is a cruise of the Greek islands. We have sailed on a variety of Cruise lines, from Carnival to Azamara, Holland America, and Seabourn. While i do not think Carnival is an option, I would like to hear opinions on other - more upscale - possibilities.

Fourteen years ago I was planning a dream trip to the Greek islands. I considered using the ferry for island hopping but decided it was too hard. I was pretty anti cruise having only been on the QE2. So when I realized the best way to get s taste of the Greek islands was going to be by cruise ship I was determined to go on a small luxurious ships. I analyzed the pros and cons of three lines and finally chose Seabourn. It was so wonderful that we have taken dozens of Seabourn cruises since -- including three more to the Greek Islands. With a small luxurious ship you can not only go to the larger more popular islands but also the smaller more out of the way Greek ports -- I am particularly partial to Monemvasia and Naphilon. You avoid long lines getting on and off the ship and tender less often. We have not cruised any other line since. We mourn the sale of Seabourn's little ships but their 450 passengers ships still retain much of the signature Seabourn style and service.

One of the items on my bucket list is a cruise of the Greek islands. We have sailed on a variety of Cruise lines, from Carnival to Azamara, Holland America, and Seabourn. While i do not think Carnival is an option, I would like to hear opinions on other - more upscale - possibilities.

We prefer smaller ships in this area with the resultant more interesting ports.

We will soon be on Azamara on an intensive cruise in this area.

Oceania's smaller "R" ships might also be an option, although I haven't noticed any interesting itineraries.

Also some lines start in Venice while others in Istanbul. Right now Celebrity is skipping Istanbul because of safety issues

There is also Star Clipper cruises which is an actual sailing experience and Windstar which puts the sails up for cosmetic purposes.

We did love the seabourn experience (on the Sojourn in the Baltic). We are doing them again in Canada -up the St Lawrence. But we also enjoyed the Azamara - somewhat larger than seabourn, but great service. We will be interested to read some reports.

Oceania's new smaller R class 'Sirena' has a Greek Is. Itinerary in June 2016

We prefer the casual feel of this upscale line (no formal nites)