Just back - H2O motorboat, Blue Hole, Walk from Warwick to Horseshoe

CanadaJulie

Hi all, as indicated in the title, we are just back from Bermuda and enjoyed every second of it. It is the best island: most beautiful, clean, well maintained, nice people, tons of stuff to do. If you are *thinking* of going - GO !!!

We did the 17" motorboat rental with H2O on Wednesday, Harbour Nights on Wednesday night.

On Thursday we went to Blue Hole Park and swam in the cave and also cliff jumped into the Blue hole. (also known as Tom Moore's jungle), then had lunch at the Swizzle Inn.

On Friday, we did the walk between Warwick Long Bay, via Jobson's Cove over to Horseshoe bay.

I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, but I think the cave swimming might have a slight edge over the other activities. They were all fantastic ! They were all "my favorites", LOL. If you choose any of these activities, you won't be disappointed !

I'd be happy to answer any questions while it's all still fresh in my mind. Reading only goes so far - sometimes you need someone who's actually been there.

Ask away !

We had the H2O boat from 9am-2pm. Here is what we did for food and champagne for our trip. We beached the boat in Mangrove Bay, right in front of where it says "Bus stop". I hoped off the boat and walked up the beach and hill. Turn left towards Sandy's Boat Club. There is a liquor store that sells chips on the street side of Sandy's Boat Club, a small cafe a few houses down that sold sandwiches and chicken fingers and drinks. They also sell drinks at H2O.

We took our lunch and cold Champagne over to Middle Kings Point and had a champagne picnic. I was so cool !

berm_04_Somerset-Village.jpg

H2O stores

Blue Hole: we took the ferry to St-Georges, bought a booklet of tickets at the Post Office, then took a #1 bus (you can take the 1,3,10,11) and stopped at the Grotto Bay Beach stop. You can't miss it, it's right after the causeway after the airport. We walked back down the hill a few steps to the Rubis gas station for drinks, then continued down a few steps towards the causeway. Just before you get to the causeway, there is the entrance to Blue Hole Park. You go through the parking lot. For the actual "Blue Hole" to swim in, you pretty much follow the paved path, until you get to the Blue Hole. Stay to your left, kinda follow the waters edge rather than taking any paths inland.

Blue Hole

Hope that helps !

Julie, you guys sure looked like you were having fun at Blue Hole Park. At that point I wished I had brought my bathing suit!

I tried to post a picture of me jumping from the 10 foot "cliff" but it wouldn't upload. You'll just have to believe that I did it !

The boat rentals sound like something I need to do. Can you stop at any beach where there is room to land? Are there many restrictions on where you can't go or things you can't do?

It's very easy to handle. Steering wheel, throttle forward and back. Just go slow and watch for the dark spots in the water - they are rocks or coral. Go around those ! They give you a map with a suggested itinerary, we did our own thing. Stopped at the HMS Vixen, Sea Glass Beach and Middle Kings Point. You can go all the way over by the Dockyard if you want.

You can stop at any beach so long as you don't have to go through private property to get there. So coming from the water is fine. Having said that, I would never just pull up on someone's front yard ! You don't even need to go far, Middle Kings point is literally within a stones throw from H2O and was stunning !! We were there at low tide and you could walk from one island to the other. Gorgeous !! You can see Sea Glass Beach from there (just across the bay) and that was really interesting too - bring water shoes !!

The only restriction was to not go beyond the lines he drew on the map. However, that was basically from Hamilton to just before the South Beaches. Lots of room to play around in !!

It really was so much fun !! I'd do it again in a heartbeat

Did you take a bus to H20?

We took a taxi. since we were 11 people, the taxi dispatcher put us in a mini bus however, I learned afterwards that 2 taxis (they have 6 pax vans) would have been less expensive. They charged us 5$ per person X 11: 55$

For the return, we did take 2 taxis. Cost us 13.95 (plus tip) per cab.

You can take the bus. If it's a hot day, it might not be worth it. We had 1 person in a wheelchair and 3 70 year olds. A taxi was a better option for us. Here are the directions we were given by H2O

Bus #7 and 8 leave from the Dockyard and you can take either and get off in Somerset Village. From there you walk past the post office and along Mangrove Bay and you will eventually see a curve where you can continue left or go right. There you turn right towards the Public Wharf on Mangrove Bay and that's where we are located. The walk is approx. 10 minutes.

Edited by CanadaJulie

Great info! :D Was there much glass on the beach? Coming onto the beach from the water I assume if there is a sign not to take the glass, you cant see it? ;)

There was TONS of glass. Again: WATER SHOES !! :)

We had lots of fun hunting for treasure. There was a sign but it's kinda between both beaches - you kind go over what may have been a dock from one beach to the other. You could easily miss the sign :) We may or may not have taken 2-3 very small pieces as souvenirs but I won't admit to anything ! Bring a mask and snorkel, it was fun to hunt for pieces under water. Unfortunately, I did not take any pics at Sea Glass Beach but there was TONS of it.

To get there, we followed the 4 turqoise apartement buildings. They were our landmark. The taxi driver pointed them out on our drive and we just aimed for them from the water side. In fact, the staff at H2O gave us some good landmarks too - there is a small bridge (tiny) with a hole big enough for a person under it but not big enough for the boat, the beach was slightly beyond that. The 4 turquoise buildings were easy to see

We took a taxi. since we were 11 people, the taxi dispatcher put us in a mini bus however, I learned afterwards that 2 taxis (they have 6 pax vans) would have been less expensive. They charged us 5$ per person X 11: 55$

For the return, we did take 2 taxis. Cost us 13.95 (plus tip) per cab.

You can take the bus. If it's a hot day, it might not be worth it. We had 1 person in a wheelchair and 3 70 year olds. A taxi was a better option for us. Here are the directions we were given by H2O

Bus #7 and 8 leave from the Dockyard and you can take either and get off in Somerset Village. From there you walk past the post office and along Mangrove Bay and you will eventually see a curve where you can continue left or go right. There you turn right towards the Public Wharf on Mangrove Bay and that's where we are located. The walk is approx. 10 minutes.

Thanks! We've ported in Bermdua twice and have rented scooters for transport. Next time I want to do H20 so we probably won't be renting the scooters. The taxis sound reasonable and much easier than the bus.

• 2 weeks later...

For those asking about the H20 boat rental, we did this as well a few months ago and had a great time! Also went to the Vixen, the middle island and sea glass beach. Those wanting to see pictures or my review of our day doing this, it's listed in my signature line. There's tons of pictures showing each place.

We also went all the way down by Snorkel Park and the fort and circled around the ships and got some great pictures of them in port. It's a really fun time. :D

For the OP, I want to hear more about your walking trip from Warwick to Horseshoe. We were supposed to do that last time and were put on the wrong bus and ended up just at Horseshoe. We are returning to Bermuda in a few weeks and want to try this again.

How long did it take you to go from Warwick to Horseshoe? Which beaches did you stop at along the way and how much time did you spend there? Anything interesting along the way?

Thanks in advance. :)

The walk from Warwick to Horseshoe was quite easy. It was pretty hot but there was a breeze and it's not really that long.

I printed a google map so that I'd have some landmarks. Here is one that would work (although, I did one that actually had Horseshoe in it)

http://s206.photobucket.com/user/edbrunt/media/Facebook/Bermuda%202013/Bermuda%202013%20II/WLBEntr.jpg.html

We took the #7 bus to Warwick / Jobson's Cove. From the road, you walk the trail down towards where this map says bathrooms and food truck. We did not see the bathroom/food truck but since we just got there, it was no big deal. We went directly to Jobsons's and swam there. Fantastic spot for pictures. We brought water shoes and mostly kept them on since the sand there is 'chunky' (not powder fine). Plus you can climb the rocks and find little spots that are also great for pictures. The sand here is really pink !

We left and went over to the next beach which is Chaplin Bay. Maybe a 3 min walk. The map says "Stonehole Bay" but I've never heard that name before. We did not swim here but it was great for pics too.

We continued on the trail - see where it says "Warwick Camp Entrance" - under that and to the left there is a parking lot with a little square white roof. You end up there. This part is important: Cross the parking lot, follow the little road that curves towards the road, BUT then stay to your left along the tree line. Do not go to the road ! (I think this is where people get confused and end up on the road - stay on the tree line path). To your left are trees and eventually the ocean and to your right is a grassy field with numbered pickets. Keep walking maybe another 5-7 mins and you end up on the nearly secluded beach beside Horseshoe. We played in the waves there for a while then walked back to Horseshoe, used their facilities then took a taxi back to the ship. More pink sand here but a lot finer grain than at Warwick

The path is a very easy walk, not steep or rocky. It did help for me to have the printed map which I pulled out 2X to see about where we were. The parking lot made it easy to figure we were about 1/3 of the way. And it showed the curved path after the parking lot and grassy field.

If you do not stop for swimming and pics, the walk from one to the other is about 15 mins. This guy posted a video of the walk in the *opposite direction*. The entire video is 15 mins and can give you a good idea of the terrain. I think we took a different path than him, since I don't remember any of it being rocky.

Edited by CanadaJulie