Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Having a car in Dubrovnik can often be a problem since parking is mission impossible. I would first look for a hotel, with parking garage, near the Pile (pee-la) gate entrance. At that time of year it is not important that you have a sea front location. Also keep in mind that the old part of town is car free, you will not be using the car at all while visiting inside the walled portion of Dubrovnik.

Do your best to arrive here prior to 01 November as the town will be closing down for winter hibernation. Again timing is everything and if you can visit Ston and Cavtat. We do go off daylight savings time on 25 October and the hours for our cultural and historical sites will be limited, closing is near to 1500 daily.

Weather will be fall, be prepared for some rain and wind and we hope no winter temps yet. Enjoy your time here.

Thank you so much for your help. Is anything open after Nov. 1? How far is if from the airport to the old part of town? I may try to contact some tour operators and see if they would be able to take us around. We do want to go to Ston and Cavtat, so hopefully we can make it work.

Thank you so much for your help. Is anything open after Nov. 1? How far is if from the airport to the old part of town? I may try to contact some tour operators and see if they would be able to take us around. We do want to go to Ston and Cavtat, so hopefully we can make it work.

Yes our historical and cultural sites are open as well as the city wall, but it all closes down at 3pm. Our daylight hours are much shorter, with dusk coming as early as 4pmish. The airport is about a 20 minute drive to the old town. Many of our outdoor restaurants will begin to close down since November is normally our wettest month, but who knows about weather these days. There are always a taxi waiting at the airport to get you into town, have no idea what that cost may be these days. You can enjoy the ambiance of Cavtat during the morning hours, the town will be locals enjoying the morning coffee. Check to see what is open in Ston, again plan early morning. Enjoy.

Yes our historical and cultural sites are open as well as the city wall, but it all closes down at 3pm. Our daylight hours are much shorter, with dusk coming as early as 4pmish. The airport is about a 20 minute drive to the old town. Many of our outdoor restaurants will begin to close down since November is normally our wettest month, but who knows about weather these days. There are always a taxi waiting at the airport to get you into town, have no idea what that cost may be these days. You can enjoy the ambiance of Cavtat during the morning hours, the town will be locals enjoying the morning coffee. Check to see what is open in Ston, again plan early morning. Enjoy.

Cavtat sounds delightful. We may actually enjoy not being a part of the crowds! I know this will not be our only visit, so next time we will plan to come at a better time. My brother, a teacher, just moved to Montenegro and he has the last week of Oct. off for fall break. So that is part of the reason for our timing. My husband and I already had vacation time scheduled, and we were initially planning a Caribbean cruise, but changed our minds when my brother unexpectedly decided to move there. Since he has only been there since mid-August, he is not too familiar with the area. So we will get to explore together.

Thanks so much for your kind helpfulness. I so appreciate it!

Good evening

We will be arriving in Dubrovnik November 22 on Splendour of the Seas. Although I understand this may be a quiet tourist time. Can someone suggest 'things to do' at this time of the year? This will be our first time.

Your ship does not arrive until 1130am, arrival in the old part of town about 1200. Most of our cultural and historic sites will close down at 1500, so you must decide if you want to see them first or walk the wall and go up on the cable car. This is all weather depending, since normally November is our wettest month. That being said this past year it did not rain but the temperature was cooler. You can get details about the sites in Dubrovnik from our tourist bureau website. Decide which you would like to visit...

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/#.VfZDvRGqqkp

• 2 weeks later...
Your ship does not arrive until 1130am, arrival in the old part of town about 1200. Most of our cultural and historic sites will close down at 1500, so you must decide if you want to see them first or walk the wall and go up on the cable car. This is all weather depending, since normally November is our wettest month. That being said this past year it did not rain but the temperature was cooler. You can get details about the sites in Dubrovnik from our tourist bureau website. Decide which you would like to visit...

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/#.VfZDvRGqqkp

Our ship doesn't arrive until 2:00pm on Oct. 11, which presents two possible problems. The arrival time and it being a Sunday. The ship doesn't leave port until 9:00pm, which limits things to do during the day. As the expert - what would you recommend that we plan on doing/seeing while there. I assume we will return to the ship for dinner, so let's say we are in town from the time we arrive until around 6pm at the latest. Any suggestions?

Cole

Our ship doesn't arrive until 2:00pm on Oct. 11, which presents two possible problems. The arrival time and it being a Sunday. The ship doesn't leave port until 9:00pm, which limits things to do during the day. As the expert - what would you recommend that we plan on doing/seeing while there. I assume we will return to the ship for dinner, so let's say we are in town from the time we arrive until around 6pm at the latest. Any suggestions?

Cole

Our sites do not change their hours until November, so early October everything is open until 1800 daily including Sunday. You have enough time to walk the wall, take the cable car to the top of the mountain. Visit the Rupe Museum, Rectors Palace, the Franciscan Monastery with the old pharmacy and many other sites. Researching your interests on our tourist bureau website will give you some insight on which sites are best.

Rather than return to your ship, why not have supper at one of our lovely restaurants and enjoy some of our local foods. Our seafood is always fresh and lamb cooked under the iron bell is fantastic. Enjoy your time here...

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/#.VgUBn8uqqkp

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Our sites do not change their hours until November, so early October everything is open until 1800 daily including Sunday. You have enough time to walk the wall, take the cable car to the top of the mountain. Visit the Rupe Museum, Rectors Palace, the Franciscan Monastery with the old pharmacy and many other sites. Researching your interests on our tourist bureau website will give you some insight on which sites are best.

Rather than return to your ship, why not have supper at one of our lovely restaurants and enjoy some of our local foods. Our seafood is always fresh and lamb cooked under the iron bell is fantastic. Enjoy your time here...

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/#.VgUBn8uqqkp

Thank you so much for the information. It is always so helpful when a local provides answer to our questions. Will duly note your suggestions and look forward to enjoying our time in Dubrovnik.

Cole

I should have also asked - do you have information as to where our ship will dock? I understand that one docking area is within walking distance to city centre and another will require transportation.

Cole

Your ship is docking in our Gruz harbor. You will need to take a taxi to reach the old town, about a 8 minute ride. Fare is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros and yes drivers will accept Euros. That being said, please do not assume you can use Euros as payment. You will find your best exchange rate at any of our many ATM machines. Obtain Croatian Kuna or use your credit card. The city wall and cable car accept credit cards. Some shops and restaurants also accept credit cards, but many do not - ask first.

By the way, I am an American/Croatian who has chosen to retire here. Been here now for the past 7 years and have no desire to return to the USA.

Your ship is docking in our Gruz harbor. You will need to take a taxi to reach the old town, about a 8 minute ride. Fare is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros and yes drivers will accept Euros. That being said, please do not assume you can use Euros as payment. You will find your best exchange rate at any of our many ATM machines. Obtain Croatian Kuna or use your credit card. The city wall and cable car accept credit cards. Some shops and restaurants also accept credit cards, but many do not - ask first.

By the way, I am an American/Croatian who has chosen to retire here. Been here now for the past 7 years and have no desire to return to the USA.

Having lived there for 7 years would make me definitely consider you a "local". You have been so much help to so many people. We all appreciate it. :D

Cole

After looking forward to our Dubrovnik visit last week, Oceana was defeated by Force 8 winds & couldn't dock....so disappointed!

Our north (bura) winds here can be daunting and so very cold. It is a shame your ship could not dock and you missed visiting our lovely town. Please do made sure your next cruise itinerary includes Dubrovnik and perhaps Split and Korcula. Dubrovnik has been around for a very long time, you now have something to look forward to visiting on your next cruise. Hope to see you next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a wonderful time in Dubrovnik a week plus ago. I've posted my pictures in two galleries on this site: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

Dubrovnik lady, thanks for your help to me and other cruisers. If you look at the photos and see anything I mistated, feel free to let me know! There were also some churches/monasteries I couldn't identify - whew! SO many churches.

One thing I found to be great for photographers was the fact that there were tons of little details, especially if you looked up.

We also visited Pula - not well known to cruisers and a little hard to get there on a cruise ship, but very worthwhile. There's a gallery or two on Pula, too. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Had a wonderful time in Dubrovnik a week plus ago. I've posted my pictures in two galleries on this site: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

Dubrovnik lady, thanks for your help to me and other cruisers. If you look at the photos and see anything I mistated, feel free to let me know! There were also some churches/monasteries I couldn't identify - whew! SO many churches.

One thing I found to be great for photographers was the fact that there were tons of little details, especially if you looked up.

We also visited Pula - not well known to cruisers and a little hard to get there on a cruise ship, but very worthwhile. There's a gallery or two on Pula, too. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Your photos are just fantastic and the captions were so very good, only a few corrections. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time here, it is a lovely town no better place for me to retire. Thank you for your details, loved it.

Your photos are just fantastic and the captions were so very good, only a few corrections. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time here, it is a lovely town no better place for me to retire. Thank you for your details, loved it.

Thank you! I try hard with my photos and captions, but in Dubrovnik, it was easy to see things I wanted to photograph. I saw your comments on my galleries and made some changes and a few little additions to the captions I changed. Just one question: I think may now have something incorrect on one of the pictures in the first gallery. Sorry, I would attach the photo, but when I've tried to do that on Cruise Critic, I've failed. However, it is the picture of 3 church/Cathedral domes together shot from the wall, first gallery. I think it's one in which I captioned a church (maybe St. Nicholas) when it may have been the Cathedral. If you have time, could you take a look and tell me exactly what 3 cathedrals/churches/chapels are in the picture? It's one of my favorite shots and I want it to be captioned correctly.

Thanks for your help - again.

Edited by roothy123

Hope this helps. Front right is Sveti Vlaho (Saint Blaise) church, our town patron Saint. On the left front is the bell tower with Maro & Baro, not a church. In the back is the Cathedral. Great photo, love it.

I love that one, but was actually talking about another one that's very similar. In it, you can see a little church tower, but I'm not sure if it's part of Sveti Vlaho church or a separate, different church. The picture is here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/image/161565960

Do you know?

I love the zig-zaggy concrete on the rooftop at very front of picture.

Yes the small tower is part of Sveti Vlaho. Only the two, Sveti Vlaho and the Cathedral. I admire the fact that your photos have captions. So often I look thru some lovely photographs and see nothing more than a caption of one word, Dubrovnik. So many visit here and never make any effort to learn about our sites.

Great Job to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Dubrovniktravelady ~ thank you for all the valuable info & the link to the visitors website. We will be arriving on Nov. 8th on Viking Star & will be in port at 8:00 am until late night. We have a 4 hour tour booked in the a.m. 9:00-1:00, but hope to explore for the afternoon & evening, as well. Do the restaurants close down at 3:00??? I would love to try the lamb you spoke about! Is their activity at night? Are shops open? Thanks, again.

Dubrovniktravelady ~ thank you for all the valuable info & the link to the visitors website. We will be arriving on Nov. 8th on Viking Star & will be in port at 8:00 am until late night. We have a 4 hour tour booked in the a.m. 9:00-1:00, but hope to explore for the afternoon & evening, as well. Do the restaurants close down at 3:00??? I would love to try the lamb you spoke about! Is their activity at night? Are shops open? Thanks, again.

Some of the outdoor restaurants will be closed for the season, but you will find many still open with indoor seating. The lamb under the iron bell is a special order, many require more than 4 adults and often a one or two day advance. Not all restaurants offer this as it is normally an outdoor cooking procedure. Research and you may find a specific restaurant which makes our lamb daily. I do suggest you utilize our tourist bureau website to help you plan your day.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/#.VjT3srerTrd

• 1 month later...