London to Paris via the chunnel

We would like to go from London to Paris via the chunnel. Does anyone have any advice or tips?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Unless you have a car with you, you would travel on Eurostar, which is a passenger train. Eurotunnel (used to be called Chunnel) is a drive on/drive off service, where you drive on your vehicle and stay in it for the duration of the journey......about 35 mins. It is a cross channel service coast to coast, whereas Eurostar is from London St Pancras to Paris, so I presume you would be travelling via Eurostar.

I'm sure lots of advice will follow.....:)

For now have a look around this site. eurostar.com

Edited by turnip eater

Not much to add really - that link will give you pretty much all you need to know.

Prices are cheaper when booked well in advance and you have to handle your own luggage. Apart from that I can't think of anything except that it is by far the best way to travel between the two cities.

Eurotunnel (used to be called Chunnel) is a drive on/drive off service ...
Although it almost certainly makes no difference to the OP, I don't think that this is right. AFAIK, "Chunnel" has always been a generic portmanteau word for the Channel Tunnel rather than for any of the companies that operate it or services through it. You still see occasional references to "Chunnel" over here, but I think it must have been about 20 years or more since I last heard the word in general use here. Usually, the only times I see the word "Chunnel" today are when Americans post on CC.

Eurotunnel is the company that owns and operates the tunnel itself. It also operates the drive-on drive-off vehicle transporter rail service that runs through it, which is branded "Le Shuttle" - but Eurotunnel itself is much more than that.

But I agree that the OP will be wanting to use Eurostar, which is one of the other train operating companies that runs services through the tunnel. Eurostar is by far the best way for a foot passenger to get from central London to central Paris, although usually not the cheapest.

Although it almost certainly makes no difference to the OP, I don't think that this is right. AFAIK, "Chunnel" has always been a generic portmanteau word for the Channel Tunnel rather than for any of the companies that operate it or services through it. You still see occasional references to "Chunnel" over here, but I think it must have been about 20 years or more since I last heard the word in general use here. Usually, the only times I see the word "Chunnel" today are when Americans post on CC.

Eurotunnel is the company that owns and operates the tunnel itself. It also operates the drive-on drive-off vehicle transporter rail service that runs through it, which is branded "Le Shuttle" - but Eurotunnel itself is much more than that.

But I agree that the OP will be wanting to use Eurostar, which is one of the other train operating companies that runs services through the tunnel. Eurostar is by far the best way for a foot passenger to get from central London to central Paris, although usually not the cheapest.

I know that Chunnel was a 'pet name', but it is one that North Americans recognise. I didn't want the OP to think 'what about Chunnel?'

Good advice above. Remember this will be an international journey, so there are border checks to be completed. Travelling London to Paris you will clear French immigration at St Pancras (the London terminal) - you have to allow time to check in (but you carry your own luggage, as mentioned above), go through a security check (quicker than an airport, but your luggage will be scanned), an outbound passport check by the operator and finally French immigration. Hence Eurostar's 30-45 minute recommendation. In Paris you then simply walk off the train with no formalities, which I always find slightly disconcerting!

And, yes, book your tickets as soon as you can. Cheaper fares will sell out.

Hi, it is super quick and easy. Trains early morning and mid evening are generally packed with business travellers and day trippers so if you've got time on your side definitely try to travel middle of the day. There are different ticket rates available either fixed train or flexible. While fixed offers a much better rate if you get held up for any reason and miss your nominated train you'll have to pay again for a whole new ticket and paying on the day is seriously expensive! So definitely check the terms offered with the different fares. Are you travelling any time soon as there are lots of on and off issues at the moment which have caused quite some chaos but I won't bore you with the details if your trip is a way off.

Are you travelling any time soon as there are lots of on and off issues at the moment which have caused quite some chaos but I won't bore you with the details if your trip is a way off.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but we are in fact traveling from Paris to London on the Eurostar very soon -- early on Oct 26 -- and booked months ago when bookings opened. We have a cruise leaving from Southampton on Oct 27. I've been following news reports all summer about the "chaos," and am concerned about reports this morning about rail disruptions in the last day or so.

Any thoughts about backup plans? We don't like to fly on small regional jets, so flying from Paris to Southampton is not really an option for us. Should I be looking at Paris to London flights? Anything else? Thanks!

The trouble has been mainly affecting the transport tunnel rather than the Eurostar, so fingers crossed you'll be ok. Delays that have affected Eurostar have generally been shorter and cleared up much quicker.

For back up plans Definitely flying would be quick and there are lots of flights from Paris daily. Heathrow gatwick Luton stansted will all have flights with varying convenience of onward travel to Southampton.

Also the drive isn't too bad once you get out of Paris, you'd need to get on the ferry from Calais to Dover which then avoids the tunnel. All in door to door is reckon about 6-7 hours to drive it.

Hope all goes well for you

The trouble has been mainly affecting the transport tunnel rather than the Eurostar, so fingers crossed you'll be ok. Delays that have affected Eurostar have generally been shorter and cleared up much quicker.

For back up plans Definitely flying would be quick and there are lots of flights from Paris daily. Heathrow gatwick Luton stansted will all have flights with varying convenience of onward travel to Southampton.

Also the drive isn't too bad once you get out of Paris, you'd need to get on the ferry from Calais to Dover which then avoids the tunnel. All in door to door is reckon about 6-7 hours to drive it.

Hope all goes well for you

Thanks for this advice. There are a number of daily flights from Paris to London as you say; do you think we'd have an issue getting on one the same day?

Is there any way good way except driving (we aren't renting a car) to get to the ferry in Calais? (I know the trains don't run as frequently as they used to before the Channel Tunnel was built.)

I appreciate your help; I am going to start a separate thread so as not to disrupt the OP's here. Thank you!