Weather in the baltics

Trixie21

I am looking at a NCL Getaway cruise in June/July/August 2017 to the baltics - ports st Petersburg , Copenhagen , Helsinki etc. I have not been to this region before so what kind of weather can I expect during those months?

I think the question rather should be what weather you cannot expect. So expect the unexpected. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2213148

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2249607

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2261425

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2286821

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2204799

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2204551

I am looking at a NCL Getaway cruise in June/July/August 2017 to the baltics - ports st Petersburg , Copenhagen , Helsinki etc. I have not been to this region before so what kind of weather can I expect during those months?

Here are two links to historic weather averages:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

http://www.weatherbase.com/

Just enter the name of the city and country you'll be visiting and either of these sites will provide day by day weather averages over time.

The magic word most of us live by -- travel by -- is "layers." Pack so that in a single day you can go from chilly morning arrivals, to sunny hot daytime strolling, back to chilly nighttime activities.

Hi Trixie

When we toured the Baltics, it was mid to late August and each morning and evening you could definitely feel the coming Autumn chill in the air. By mid day it was warm and sunny, temp wise about 75-80. We loved that type of weather, but as my other posters have already said, you just never know. Julys are usually warmer, but for the most part, not unbearable, but having said that, they have had heat waves that are extremely hot. Remember most places do not have AC. If you are undecided about which month, August would PROBABLY assure you of a bit cooler weather than July.

Cheers

Len

Hi Trixie

When we toured the Baltics, it was mid to late August and each morning and evening you could definitely feel the coming Autumn chill in the air. By mid day it was warm and sunny, temp wise about 75-80. We loved that type of weather, but as my other posters have already said, you just never know. Julys are usually warmer, but for the most part, not unbearable, but having said that, they have had heat waves that are extremely hot. Remember most places do not have AC. If you are undecided about which month, August would PROBABLY assure you of a bit cooler weather than July.

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len

I just wanted some idea of what to expect - this tells me what I need to know.

I

The truth is, regarding the weather, that each year is different and it is more or less impossible to say in advance (more then a few days) what kind of weather and temperature you will experience.

In 2015, July was very cold and rainy while August had much warmer weather.

Some years the autumn arrives early (late August) some years it's very late and might not arrive until October.

It also tends to rain a lot, especially in Copenhagen, so you should be prepared for that possibility. Try to be really flexible about your touring schedule - things like canal cruises are really enjoyable when the weather is nice, so try to sneak those in in between showers.

It also tends to rain a lot, especially in Copenhagen.

I would disagree with that. It can rain allot but it can also be dry/sunny. It varies allot.

The only real advice I can give you is to check the weather forecasts just before you leave and then decide what clothes to bring.

Edited by Desdichado62

One thing I was not prepared for was how cool the ship was. When the water and ambient temperature is not consistently warm, I guess it makes it less likely the ship will be warm. I had to buy a second hoodie to wear on the ship.

And yes to layering. It may be quite warm during the day, but cool at night.

And yes to layering. It may be quite warm during the day, but cool at night.

Again, it varies allot both during each week/month/summer but also from year to year.

It can be cool/cold during the night but it can also be "tropical nights" (=when temperature never drops below +20 degrees Celsius) so you can't really say today how warm/cold it will be in July.

Edited by Desdichado62

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to the Baltic in early August of this year and I am starting to think about what kinds of clothes I will want to wear for excursions. Our cruise line includes excursions in the price so we have at least 1 booked a day and my family really likes to get out and see as many sights and experience as much local culture as we can during the few hours we are in port.

Our last trip was a summer cruise to Spain and Italy, so it was very warm and shorts and t-shirts were really the best bet. It seems like this trip might call for long pants and layered tops, and packable rain gear.

If anyone has any specific suggestions, I would appreciate your input.

We did a Baltic cruise mid September and had excellent weather. In Tallin it was even a bit too hot, about 32c.

Being from the UK we are used to changeable weather, so really took the clothes we would wear at home at this time of year. Layers and a light waterproof coat.

As I said before, we cruised mid to late august. We are not 'shorts' people so we never even packed them, instead wore jeans for the entire trip. We are also seniors nd the chill in the AM really wouldn't warrant shorts. That said, here in the northeast, our mailman wears shorts all year long, except in the snow.

To each his own. It's your vacation, wear what you feel most comfortable in.

Cheers

Len

Happy you got that off your chest????

Why bother responding, just ignore it. They asked if people have "specific" suggestions ie there may be some items that people have found particularly useful.

Well the things is though, P.N.N is right.

Since the weather is both varying and unpredictable when it comes to temperatures and weather type.

If auntieshoes is lucky, he/she might experience lovely summer days with pleasant temperatures but he/she might just as well be unlucky

with low pressure dominated weather with cold temps (lower 10s C) rain and heavy winds.

The difference can be as much as 20 degrees Celsius.

So it is impossible to say what the weather will be like and thus also impossible to say what clothes to bring.

The only sensible idea is to wait to maybe a week before you leave for the cruise, then check the weather forecasts, hope that the forecasts are somewhat correct and pack clothes based on it.

Edited by Desdichado62

Specific recommendations? Hmmm. I'd say I was glad I had my pashmina, as I could use it as a scarf, or even over my head as a kind of hat when it was cool. A light weight, waterproof jacket was nice, as was a light weight down jacket. When we got off the ship in Helsinki it was very windy, cold, and raining. By the time we went an hour inland for our excursion, it was sunny and warm, so again, layers.

We are from Texas, and June in the Baltics was cold for us. I think some of "how cold is it?" will depend on what you're used to.

Specific recommendations? Hmmm. I'd say I was glad I had my pashmina, as I could use it as a scarf, or even over my head as a kind of hat when it was cool. A light weight, waterproof jacket was nice, as was a light weight down jacket. When we got off the ship in Helsinki it was very windy, cold, and raining. By the time we went an hour inland for our excursion, it was sunny and warm, so again, layers.

We are from Texas, and June in the Baltics was cold for us. I think some of "how cold is it?" will depend on what you're used to.

There you go! It was possible to add something. Interesting I thought scarves or pashminas would be a "specific" suggestion but didn't mention it as I haven't been to the area. I thought wind proof jackets might work given variable weather (usually light weight). I was thinking for women maybe tights that could be worn under skirts might be a light weight specific suggestion for this scenario of layering.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Trixie,

Not sure where you're from but we did a Baltic cruise last August. The whole of the region had a similar summer last year to the UK. Generally overcast, grey, cool, miserable! However, on every stop we had bright blue sky, sunshine and temperatures of around 23-24 degrees, so very pleasant indeed!

Rob

Trixie,

Not sure where you're from but we did a Baltic cruise last August. The whole of the region had a similar summer last year to the UK. Generally overcast, grey, cool, miserable! However, on every stop we had bright blue sky, sunshine and temperatures of around 23-24 degrees, so very pleasant indeed!

Rob

Hi Rob

We are from the UK ( Northern Ireland ) so definitely no stranger to overcast grey and miserable. To be honest the weather won't bother us all that much - just wanted to have a general feel for what it is like. We are looking likely to be booking for June for the baltics cruise as my wife wants to go to sorrento in Italy in August so that will give us our sunshine holiday! June in the baltics probably has even more potential to be unsettled but the cruise is for the ports not for lying out on deck - however we may may lucky like you were .

Thanks for the help

Trevor.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a really interesting post that I'm going to have to bookmark. My friend and I are doing an NCL Baltic cruise (same ports as OP listed) in may and I have been struggling with what we should plan to bring. My difficulty is that since I live in central Florida and she lives in Hawaii, most northern places in general feel relatively cool to us. I checked out the weather underground for average temperatures in early may for these locations and Temps range from 70-80 in Copenhagen to 50s in St. Petersburg. (Fehrenheit, sorry). Layering and versatility will be crucial.

This is a really interesting post that I'm going to have to bookmark. My friend and I are doing an NCL Baltic cruise (same ports as OP listed) in may and I have been struggling with what we should plan to bring. My difficulty is that since I live in central Florida and she lives in Hawaii, most northern places in general feel relatively cool to us. I checked out the weather underground for average temperatures in early may for these locations and Temps range from 70-80 in Copenhagen to 50s in St. Petersburg. (Fehrenheit, sorry). Layering and versatility will be crucial.

I'm also a Floridian, but couple hours south of you. Where I live, the temps in January/February were on the cool side. (For non-Floridians, when other sections of the country were benefiting from a warmer El Nino winter, Florida was experiencing cooler and wetter than average weather. Not cold, but definitely cooler than usual) Having made it through those chilly weeks this winter, I hope you already own a fleece quarter-zip or jacket. Perhaps you even own an ultra-light down jacket. Either/both of those things would be great to pack since they don't take up much space, are warm, and dry almost instantly if you wrap them in a towel and press out the water. (They'll certainly be dry overnight.) You could probably manage an entire Baltic cruise with just two because they dry so fast.

Above all, don't forget to pack a hat, scarf, and gloves. Those three small items can really extend your comfort level yet take up little space in your suitcase.

If you don't own fleece already, there's plenty available on-line. Head to the web sites for LL Bean, Lands' End, REI, etc.

I like the story of the cruise passenger in Stockholm who asked a child passing by, "What time did it start raining?" To which the child replied, "How should I know, I'm only seven."

I think that anecdote originally is for the Swedish rain capital Gothenburg. ;)

Stockholm actually have quite nice weather from time to time but the problem is that nobody knows when.