New York port and boarding questions

tfrank81

We are going on Norwegian breakaway may 22 (Sunday) for Bermuda. I am a bit nervous about going to nyc from Philadelphia area. Any suggestions on parking and what time could we arrive if we were parking at the port? Is 9 am too early? I heard there were limited spots at the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are going on Norwegian breakaway may 22 (Sunday) for Bermuda. I am a bit nervous about going to nyc from Philadelphia area. Any suggestions on parking and what time could we arrive if we were parking at the port? Is 9 am too early? I heard there were limited spots at the port. Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Welcome to CC - there is a "Roll Call" for the BA sailing, it's fun & the only cost is your time, typically held on the morning of the 2nd. day - like 11 AM to 11:30 AM (first full day at sea, in this case - Monday, the 23rd of May) - I just check the roster & don't believe you've signed up, come & join the rest of us

Here's a direct link - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2192188&page=13

Take a few moments to read & skim thru it, decide & join

As for driving - here's one of the best driving directions written on different ways of getting to the Manhattan pier - including pix & details - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057865&highlight=manhattan+parking+directions

Some of the questions being asked lately on rooftop parking at the pier & alternatives, etc. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2343573

BA (Breakaway) has the faster paid WiFi internet & (free) inTRAnet onboard for which the iConcierge App runs on (iOS & Android platforms) - download it free before leaving home, as you will find it useful & handy, most of the functionalities are free to use - like checking on your account balance onboard.

As for the drive up north from Phila to NYC, it's relatively easy on the NJ Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel exit for mid-town Manhattan, and you are about about 15 blocks to the pier/parking ... as NJH wrote above, arriving around 10 to 10:30 AM is generally good, boarding usually start by zone/group # given - around 11:30 AM (give or take) ... if you are relatively new to cruise, don't worry - lots of things to learn/get familiar and feel at ease about.

You don't want to get there too early because pax will be departing at the same time. Much less confusion if you get there as recommended 10:30 ish.

We got there at 9:45, and pulled right into the parking lot, close spot. I've never heard of parking spots running out.

Dh and I are going on the Sunshine in September. We live just outside of Philadelphia. We were thinking of taking Amtrak from 30th St to Penn Station in NY. $78 pp round trip then taking a cab over to the pier. It looks like it's only 1.5 miles. Anyone do this?

Dh and I are going on the Sunshine in September. We live just outside of Philadelphia. We were thinking of taking Amtrak from 30th St to Penn Station in NY. $78 pp round trip then taking a cab over to the pier. It looks like it's only 1.5 miles. Anyone do this?

My husband and I are doing the September 3rd cruise on the Sunshine and we live about 30 minutes south of Philadelphia. We are thinking about doing the same thing would love to hear also from anyone who has done this.

Traveling from Philly to NY by train and then taking a cab to wherever you are going in Manhattain, including the cruise terminal, is certainly do-able, but you must decide whether you are comfortable leaving your same-day arrival to Amtrak.