Crystal Caves - how strenous?

goddess28

My husband and I will arrive in Bermuda June 1 and are considering touring the crystal caves. I know there are 86 steps down into the caves, but no one really talks about the actual tour. My husband uses a cane for big walks, like a tour, but not for around the ship. I know he can handle the steps down, but is that the only way out? 86 steps up are a lot tougher than down...

Thanks, Debbi

My husband and I will arrive in Bermuda June 1 and are considering touring the crystal caves. I know there are 86 steps down into the caves, but no one really talks about the actual tour. My husband uses a cane for big walks, like a tour, but not for around the ship. I know he can handle the steps down, but is that the only way out? 86 steps up are a lot tougher than down...

Thanks, Debbi

Crystal Cave is 82 steps and Fantasy 88 steps. They are steep steps. They are the only way in and out. Once you are down the actual caves are very small. He must be able to go back up the steps.

Edited by Charles4515

I was rather disappointed in the crystal caves. It's a hike down and back and there really isn't a lot to see. He could always wait near the entrance for you. This is one instance that I thought the pictures were much better than the actual view.

I was rather disappointed in the crystal caves. It's a hike down and back and there really isn't a lot to see. He could always wait near the entrance for you. This is one instance that I thought the pictures were much better than the actual view.

I was underwhelmed myself but that was likely because I had visited some large caves in the United States. Someone who has never been in a cave might appreciate the two caves more than I did. The deep clear water pool in the small Crystal Cave is of interest. Also the guide I had made the story of how the cave was discovered interesting. Fantasy cave is a bit larger but not that large.

Another way to look at visiting the caves is that they are kind off a bucket list item for Bermuda visitors. They are aways on the list of major attractions. If you keep going back you might want to complete the list......

The steps are steep and slippery. If I remember, they are made of irregular stone rather than blocks. You need to wear flat, non-slippery shoes. You must be cautious on the way down. On the way up, I did have to pause occasionally. There are some small 'platforms' every so often, where you can stop for a moment, but there is not really a lot of room. You can't sit down, for example.

I went with my kids and it was fun enough, but I don't think it's a must-do, especially if you have to take a cab to get there! ;)

Hi everybody, soon we will cruise with Anthem of the Seas for Bermuda and we will spend one day in Boston too. Some suggestions for somebody who has never been in Boston?

Check out the Canada/New England Ports of Call boards. This is for Bermuda.

Check out the Canada/New England Ports of Call boards. This is for Bermuda.

Also they should check out the East Coast Departures board. Probably some Boston stuff there since it is a homeport for some cruises.

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks, Debbi

I did this a couple of years ago and it was a difficult walk back up:eek:

I remember the tour guide said people call it "cardiac hill":rolleyes:....

and it was true.....after getting back to the top, I had to sit down and

breathe. I am thinking about going back to Bermuda but I will not

be doing the caves again.

I did this a couple of years ago and it was a difficult walk back up:eek:

I remember the tour guide said people call it "cardiac hill":rolleyes:....

and it was true.....after getting back to the top, I had to sit down and

breathe. I am thinking about going back to Bermuda but I will not

be doing the caves again.

Guess you won't be going up Gibbs lighthouse, it's 185 steps. :D

I may have to rethink these caves myself. I'll be on Grandeur for 5 dayer. Ship gets in 1:00pm on day 1 and leaves 2 on day 2. Looking at the ferry and bus schedules to get there was making me nervous.

But these steps, not so sure the more I think about them. I did the queens staircase in Nassau back in September. It took the wind out of my sales with one platform I could rest at, but those were also smaller steps so you didn't have to lift your legs. I have lung problems so now I have to really think about them.

Is there an alternative to this, then? It was something on my list as well (our first time to Bermuda) and the stairs don't necessarily bother me or our daughter, but my husband has an ankle injury that bothers him sometimes and the slippery steps concern me.

Edited by mchelle77

Is there an alternative to this, then? It was something on my list as well (our first time to Bermuda) and the stairs don't necessarily bother me or our daughter, but my husband has an ankle injury that bothers him sometimes and the slippery steps concern me.

There is a nice area outside the caves where he can sit and wait for you and your daughter. The grounds where the cave entrances are located are pretty. There is also a gift shop and concession stand. One time I went with friends who wanted to go and didn't plan to down again since I had already been so I waited for them up top. I did end going down again by the way, because while I was sitting there someone gave me her husbands ticket when they realized he could not do the steps.

Edited by Charles4515

Do you mean as an alternative to the steps? There is no elevator or escalator.

SBtS

The caves were interesting, but I wouldn't consider them a 'must do'.

For first time visitors to Bermuda, I would suggest a visit to Horseshoe Bay and then lunch somewhere. There is a scenic trail that runs through the South Shore beaches but not sure that would be good with an ankle injury.

If you don't like the beach, I would take a tour of the island, about 4 hours would be good. There are many points where you could stop and look at the scenery, houses, boats and water. Much nicer than a cave tour.

If you look at pictures of the caves you've seen it all. It's chilly down there, the water is clear, there are lots of stalactites.

• 3 weeks later...

We did Crystal Caves last year. I was impressed and thought they were beautiful but I would not encourage anyone with mobility issues to do this.

On the way down it is fine but you still have to be careful as dripping water makes the steps slippery. Once you get down it is a narrow platform walkway that you are on. The journey back is much more difficult. It is the number of steps and the fact that they are slippery, but also the speed. You have to keep up with the group because there are people in front of and behind out and the group has to stay together. I, like a previous poster, had to sit down and catch my breath when we made it to the top.

Hi everybody, soon we will cruise with Anthem of the Seas for Bermuda and we will spend one day in Boston too. Some suggestions for somebody who has never been in Boston?

If you have only one day and want to experience some history of Boston then walk the Freedom Trail. You will see some of the more historical sites and the walk is not difficult. If you are not a big history buff try the New England Aquarium or the Museum of Science. All of these have web sites for more information and make for a great day!