Best Paris Area to Stay

CdnJeff

This is a tough question because many frequent Paris visitors and lovers (we are in both categories) have their favorite areas...but what we like might not apply to your (and vice versa). Personally, we do love a few parts of Paris...and tend to vary where we stay to keep our visits fresh and fun. Most of the time we prefer to be on the Left Bank in the 5th (Latin Quarter) or 6th (St Germain des Pres). When we do stay on the Right Bank our preference is to be somewhere in the Marais area.

Probably our favorite stay was when we found a nice 3rd floor apartment in the trendy St Germain des Pres. We were on a residential block and close to many of the cute cafes/restaurants that makes this neighborhood a popular (and expensive) area. On the other hand, the Marais area is great for those who like to shop and browse cute stores/boutiques.

But, we have a friend who loves finding lower priced apartments in Montmarte where they appreciate being in more of a "working man's" neighborhood. Personally, we have no love of Montmarte...other than to occasionally visit and walk during the daytime. That being said, visiting Sacre Cour should be on the itinerary of many visitors.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

My favorite location is in the area near the Chatelet-Les Halles station; just between the Marais and the Louvre, and with the Ile de la Cite (on which Notre Dame sits) just to the south. It's a great location both for sightseeing on foot and for making use of Paris' extensive and easy-to-use metro system.

Plenty of good restaurants nearby in the Marais and good strolling in the evening as well.

Hi CdnJeff,

You've had a few great replies already and Hlitner said it well...for many of us who love Paris and/or visit often, it's not such an easy thing to answer - this is what it is to be captivated by the city - but they told you about the Latin Quarter, Marais which are great places to be indeed.

I've stayed in the following arrondissments: 1st, 5th, 7th & 12th (unexpected!) and enjoyed them all (I was in PARIS!!!) but my favorites was probably always the 1st but largely due to the hotel - an amazing wonderful place located on the rue des Capucines just around the corner from the Place Vendome and close to the Metro Pink line near the Opera Garnier....wonderful and central location near the Marais, Eglise Madeleine, Galeries Lafayette, Louvre, Notre Dame. I loved staying in the 5th too, being in the Latin Quarter is truly wonderful. I loved having the central location in the 1st because look at the map - it's right in the middle of the city and easy to get to everywhere else - it was a little quiet at night except for a boisterous Pub (go figure) but when I was done for the night, I was done. I think I'd be happy anywhere around the center of the city, to be honest if I was going back tomorrow - some might feel the Latin Quarter or Marais a bit too crowded - it depends upon what kind of vibe you want to feel....these areas get busy!

It was rather quiet staying near the Eiffel Tower in the 7th but I could walk right into the park and see the tower immediately and so there was something magical about that. The hotel I stayed at in the 12th was chosen for me by a Parisian friend I was visiting and she knew by then that it was so easy for me to get around the city that it really didn't matter so much anymore where I stayed as long as the metro was near and I could hop right on; the hotel was charming, had breakfast included and so just fine.

You didn't mention what amount you wanted to spend - this is a big factor in Paris/locations but let it be said that you CAN still get a nice location without going for broke too. You mentioned planning to get an apartment, how will you go about searching for it? VRBO is one of the best sights but I think many of them rent by the week only - not sure how long you will stay in Paris.

Maybe take a look through a great guide on Paris - I use Frommers or Lonely Planet for city guides always - this way you can get a further feel for neighborhood descriptions and more....repeat visitors might get too jaded to recommend without bias or expectations after having had many trips ;)

Either way - you will enjoy having an apartment to retreat to on your visit - you'll feel like a local - make sure you visit a cafe like a local, go to the same one once a day while you're there; they'll recognize you and treat you well each time you return...it's the easiest and fastest way to be a Parisian!!

Enjoy :)

We love St Germain des Pres. Last September we spent nine days at the Hotel Verneuil and became part of the neighborhood. So many advantages--quiet, near the Seine, very close to museums and walkable to almost everything else, close Metro stops and RER, great neighborhood restaurants and markets, nice shopping nearby, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

What do you think about the Opera area of Paris? We booked the #15 hotel on Trip Advisor called 34B Hotel in that area in late April, early May.

Edited by narob
listing Trip Advisor

What do you think about the Opera area of Paris? We booked the #15 hotel on Trip Advisor called 34B Hotel in that area in late April, early May.

I love this area and always stay here when I go to Paris.It is easy to get where you want to go,shop,eat etc. and many places to walk as well.Enjoy your stay.

The hotel is in the 9th arrondissement- just on the edge of the 8th. It's not too bad but I wouldn't recommend going any further north for accommodation as the area becomes less attractive.

You will be near les Grands Boulevards where there are some very good shops. We also love the Musee Grevin which is typically French and a bit different. There is also a very good chain of bistro called "Bistro Romain" which is nearby. To get into the centre of Paris there is easy access down the rue de Richelieu or the rue du Louvre.

OP: you've gotten great advice above. I want to just chime in to recommend the (free) Paris Metro App for your phone. We used it last fall in Paris and it's a truly must-have. Plug in your starting point and destination, and it will show you how to get there. And it works off line.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paris-metro-map-route-planner/id527534137?mt=8

Have a great time!

PS: I agree with Hank about Montmartre. Sacre Coeur is well worth a visit (regardless of one's religious beliefs), but I would not want to stay in Montmartre.

You will be near les Grands Boulevards where there are some very good shops. We also love the Musee Grevin which is typically French and a bit different.

The Musee Grevin is located next to the Passage Jouffroy, and in the passage are two hotels, the very charming Hotel Chopin and the Best Western Ronceray Opera. My wife and I spent a week at the Chopin last fall just before the terrorist massacre and loved it, but if you have any mobility problems (there is an elevator, but you have to climb some stairs to get to it) you will be happier at the Ronceray Opera.

It's a fine area, convenient to many things - you can visit the Galeries Lafayette and/or Printemps department stores - both have rooftop terraces you can access for stunning views of Paris, which one can never get enough of! I like this area because it's fairly "central" when you look on the map...really easy to get to other places in the city. Someone mentioned going up to Sacre Coeur - the view up there is also breathtaking (not to mention the basilica!) and there are those famous steps that go on forever!

Also - what else can I say, when you're there, it will be "Paris in Springtime" so, enjoy! (Go to the Tuileries...) :)

Overseas friends of ours have used

'Feel Like Home in Paris' for apartment rentals. They are excellent and have apartments in 'real' areas of Paris - mostly Montmartre, by which I mean they are in a regular neighbourhood with shops, small supermarkets and children going to school. Makes you really feel like a visitor, not a tourist.

Google their website for more info.

We will be staying in Paris for a few days after our Greek Cruise and are looking at booking an apartment. Any suggestions on where to stay, what area to stay in?

Thanks for you ideas/suggestions in advance.

Love the Latin Qtr. We stayed in a VRBO apt in 2009. Very centrally located, close to BatoBus, shops, Notre Dame. Love Paris, be sure to go to the Louvre at dusk & hear the musicians in the alcoves MAGICAL!

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
My favorite location is in the area near the Chatelet-Les Halles station; just between the Marais and the Louvre, and with the Ile de la Cite (on which Notre Dame sits) just to the south. It's a great location both for sightseeing on foot and for making use of Paris' extensive and easy-to-use metro system.

Plenty of good restaurants nearby in the Marais and good strolling in the evening as well.

I concur. The area around where the 1st and 4th Arondissments intersect is as centrally located as one can be.

Think of Paris like a wheel. This location is akin to the hub with all lines(easy to navigate metro) leading out like spokes throughout the city.

While certain neighborhoods have their individual unique charms, for a 1st-time visitor, the area described in the above post is ideal for both walking to nearby popular sites, as well as central access to the entire city from the main metro station of Chatelet.

It's also a pleasant walk across the Ile-de-Cite towards the Blvd. St.-Michel if one is wanting to experience the nearby Left Bank areas(Latin Qtr./St. Germain).

Edited by Skai

• 2 weeks later...

There are hotels from 1 and 2-stars on up in the area. Are you looking for a place where you're planning to spend a lot of time in your hotel room and wanting space and comfortable amenities...or perhaps simply a place to get a quiet/restful sleep and a place to wash up before heading out for days filled with sightseeing?

It's worth noting that real estate in Paris comes with a premium and many avg. priced hotel rooms are considered 'smaller' in comparison to what one may be familiar with in N. America.

(As the OP is doing) Renting an apt.(via sites like Airbnb and VRBO et. al.) can provide for other options as well.

Edited by Skai

• 4 weeks later...
This is a tough question because many frequent Paris visitors and lovers (we are in both categories) have their favorite areas...but what we like might not apply to your (and vice versa). Personally, we do love a few parts of Paris...and tend to vary where we stay to keep our visits fresh and fun. Most of the time we prefer to be on the Left Bank in the 5th (Latin Quarter) or 6th (St Germain des Pres). When we do stay on the Right Bank our preference is to be somewhere in the Marais area.

Probably our favorite stay was when we found a nice 3rd floor apartment in the trendy St Germain des Pres. We were on a residential block and close to many of the cute cafes/restaurants that makes this neighborhood a popular (and expensive) area. On the other hand, the Marais area is great for those who like to shop and browse cute stores/boutiques.

But, we have a friend who loves finding lower priced apartments in Montmarte where they appreciate being in more of a "working man's" neighborhood. Personally, we have no love of Montmarte...other than to occasionally visit and walk during the daytime. That being said, visiting Sacre Cour should be on the itinerary of many visitors.

Hank

I agree 100% that this is a hard question to answer. I like staying in the 7th and 6th. I love Saint-Germain-des-Pres in the 6th as well. There are a lot of places to eat and on rue de Buci has something going on all the time it seems.

We loved our stay in the 9th at our hotel, the 34B. Not only were we surrounded by a lot of ethnic restaurants, but also a stone's throw away from a French restaurant established in 1896 as a soup kitchen with great prices. Also, had perfect weather, which doesn't hurt.

• 1 month later...

I agree it is hard to answer and depends what you like.

I have stayed a number of times in the 16th arr, specifically on Rue de Passy, for work.

It is walking distance to Trocadero and the Eiffel tower. There you really feel like you live in Paris, but it also has an international feel because of its proximity to OECD (or OCED as they spell it in France!). On weekday mornings, the parents all exit their apartments with their children to walk them to school. There are many lovely shops (including a great supermarket) and genuine non touristy cafes and restaurants and great metro links to the rest of Paris.

:)