Just finished Baltic Cruise. A few thoughts

Is there anyone from the US who is going to Stockholm anytime soon that would be willing to bring back a city map for me? I am looking for one of the free ones that tourist offices hand out :).

I can send postage or a SASE. I will be spending three days there at the end of July/beginning of Aug. We have a few included tours and also lots of free time and I would like to be prepared.

Thank you !!!

In response to the post by Alison, Knudsen stating the the Britannia sailed directly into Stockholm.......

That's really something. The Britannia is built on the same template as the Regal with some differences, but the things that would seem to prevent the Regal to navigate to the city are the same on the Britannia. Her length, beam and draft are virtually the same so you would think the Regal could navigate in.......but it appears that she is destined to dock at the "ocean cay" facility.

We'll follow future voyages and see if that changes since we have that voyage late August.

Edited by Grego

In response to the post by Alison, Knudsen stating the the Britannia sailed directly into Stockholm.......

That's really something. The Britannia is built on the same template as the Regal with some differences, but the things that would seem to prevent the Regal to navigate to the city are the same on the Britannia. Her length, beam and draft are virtually the same so you would think the Regal could navigate in.......but it appears that she is destined to dock at the "ocean cay" facility.

We'll follow future voyages and see if that changes since we have that voyage late August.

We are not docking at "ocean cay" in Stockholm because that's in Copenhagen. We are, however, docking at the distant location which is 45 minutes away from the city.

Regal Princess have visited Stockholm on a few occasions last season and will do the same this season.

We stayed at the Radisson Blu Royal next to the central train station. About $400 per night. Included breakfast, which was great. Others in our group stayed at the Scandic Palace. The Scandic Palace is just a little further to the train station, but is closer to the shopping streets. The HoHo's stop by each one. Pricing is never what you think. Will say $250 or so, but that is before tax, which was $100-$150 per night.

We took the train, luggage and all, to the central station, then walked to the Blu, about 2 blocks.

Taxi from the Blu to the ship was 300 kroner for a taxi that held 8 people. Probably less for a regular size. About $45, so about $6 USD per person.

may I ask how did you book your taxi from Hotel to the cruise ship? we are a big group - 11 people

No problem with SPB tours. They were great. You get lots of local information that way from the local guides. As was mentioned in another post, we just felt Stockholm would have been very 'user friendly' to do it ourself. SBP tours was done by 2pm, and the ship didn't leave until 5. We then payed extra ($80 per person) for 2 hours extra.

This is what SPB Tour is telling us about the itinerary IF we decide to book with them. It looks like they will finish at 15:40. Our boat leaves at 16:00

Is this the same as what you have taken? So far we are planning to do it on our own but for a 5 hour tour I thought this is not bad. Now I am considering this. Read below

Stockholm Highlights Tour itinerary - Norwegian Star - 16th of August

*This itinerary has been adjusted with the arrival and departure time of your ship in mind.

*Tour groups are limited to only 24 people.

08:45 : 09:00

Meet and greet at the harbor.

09:00 : 09:20

Start your day with a short panoramic drive through Stockholm. If your cruiseship docks in Stockholm’s port Stadsgården, you will first take a ride through Södermalm, Stockholm’s biggest island. If your ship docks in Stockholm’s port Frihamnen you will have a panoramic drive through the popular recreactional areas: Gärdet and Djurgården.

09:35 : 10:50

Inside visit: Upon arriving to Djurgården, you will have a guided visit in the famous Vasa Museum with the world’s best-preserved 17th century warship, which sank on its maiden voyage in 1628 and was salvaged in 1961.

10:55 : 11:25

Back on the bus, you will continue with the panoramic drive through Stockholm. The bus will take you through Östermalm, the posh district of Stockholm, along Strandvägen, Stockholm’s most beautiful boulevard with hundreds of boats on one side and elegant buildings on the other. From the bus you will see sights such as the Royal Dramatic Theatre, Raoul Wallenbergs Torg, Kungsträdgården, Riksdag, The Houses of the Swedish Parliament, The Royal Palace, The Royal Opera and much more.

11:30 : 12:00

Begin the walking tour of Gamla stan, giving you the chance to explore charming Old Town up close. You will begin at th e Royal Palace and make your way through the streets of the city. You will see Storkyrka (Coronation Church), the Finnish Church, Järnpojke (at only 15cm, the tiniest public sculpture!)

12:00 : 13:00

Free time on your own in the Old Town. Enjoy some of the sights on your own, enjoy lunch or a coffee and pastry at your leisure, or do some shopping.

One suggestion for your free-time: A visit to Storkyrka, Stockholm’s Cathedral also known as Coronation Church (entrance is 40 SEK, or approximately 6 USD), or ask your guide for other ideas!

13:00 : 13:30

Refreshed and with new energy, we start the second part of the Old Town Walk where we will pass Stortorget (the Old Town market square), the Nobel Museum, Tyska Kyrkan (German Church), and Stockholm’s narrowest alley.

13:40 : 14:00

Meet back at the bus and head back to the port.

14:00

Back at the ship

Tour price includes the following services:

Professional English-speaking tour guide for 5 hours

Air-conditioned vehicle in Copenhagen for duration of tour

Entrance fee for and guided tour of the Vasa Museum

Guided tour of Gamla stan, Stockholm's Old Town

This is what SPB Tour is telling us about the itinerary IF we decide to book with them. It looks like they will finish at 15:40. Our boat leaves at 16:00

Is this the same as what you have taken? So far we are planning to do it on our own but for a 5 hour tour I thought this is not bad. Now I am considering this. Read below

*This itinerary has been adjusted with the arrival and departure time of your ship in mind.

Start your day with a short panoramic drive through Stockholm. If your cruiseship docks in Stockholm’s port Stadsgården, you will first take a ride through Södermalm, Stockholm’s biggest island. If your ship docks in Stockholm’s port Frihamnen you will have a panoramic drive through the popular recreactional areas: Gärdet and Djurgården.

Inside visit: Upon arriving to Djurgården, you will have a guided visit in the famous Vasa Museum with the world’s best-preserved 17th century warship, which sank on its maiden voyage in 1628 and was salvaged in 1961.

Back on the bus, you will continue with the panoramic drive through Stockholm. The bus will take you through Östermalm, the posh district of Stockholm, along Strandvägen, Stockholm’s most beautiful boulevard with hundreds of boats on one side and elegant buildings on the other. From the bus you will see sights such as the Royal Dramatic Theatre, Raoul Wallenbergs Torg, Kungsträdgården, Riksdag, The Houses of the Swedish Parliament, The Royal Palace, The Royal Opera and much more.

Begin the walking tour of Gamla stan, giving you the chance to explore charming Old Town up close. You will begin at th e Royal Palace and make your way through the streets of the city. You will see Storkyrka (Coronation Church), the Finnish Church, Järnpojke (at only 15cm, the tiniest public sculpture!)

Free time on your own in the Old Town. Enjoy some of the sights on your own, enjoy lunch or a coffee and pastry at your leisure, or do some shopping.

One suggestion for your free-time: A visit to Storkyrka, Stockholm’s Cathedral also known as Coronation Church (entrance is 40 SEK, or approximately 6 USD), or ask your guide for other ideas!

Refreshed and with new energy, we start the second part of the Old Town Walk where we will pass Stortorget (the Old Town market square), the Nobel Museum, Tyska Kyrkan (German Church), and Stockholm’s narrowest alley.

Back at the ship

If you are willing and able to get yourself around Stockholm via public transportation, you can do a lot of this same itinerary (with more time at Vasa and in Gamla Stan) on your own for, what I imagine would be, a fraction of the cost.

Last year we did "Stockholm-in-a-Day" using public transportation (bus to/from port and ferry to Djurgarden for the Vasa Museum), Free Walking Tours Stockholm for a 2-hour tour of Gamla Stan (not just the 1 hour you get on the above tour), more walking around with the Rick Steves guide and at least 2 hours in the Vasa Museum, including one of the free tours they offer. We also visited the Royal Coin Cabinet (interest in numismatics), but you could use that time for something else that might interest you.

BTW, we just took snacks and water with us for the day instead of stopping for lunch. I think it's a good thing we did. Our tablemates told us about stopping for lunch (a plate of herring and a beer each) in Gamla Stan while on a SPB tour and it cost them a small fortune.

... and at least 2 hours in the Vasa Museum, including one of the free tours they offer."

We visited Stockholm DIY, but I can see the value of going around with a guide.

We had mixed feelings about our free VASA tour. The tour guide was outstanding; he provided good information and patiently answered questions. However, the group was huge which made hearing a challenge at times. The museum has a very open floor plan so noises carry and there are always lots of visitors not in the tour group who are having conversations. The guide coped the best he could. His voice was very loud and his English was very clear and easy to understand. But touring with a smaller group or paying something for a tour that was done with headsets would have been better.

BTW, we just took snacks and water with us for the day instead of stopping for lunch. I think it's a good thing we did. Our tablemates told us about stopping for lunch (a plate of herring and a beer each) in Gamla Stan while on a SPB tour and it cost them a small fortune.

We ate at a restaurant in Gamla Stan and thought the experience was absolutely worth the time and the cost. If anyone has visited the Viking Rune in the wall in Gamla Stan, you were next door to the restaurant. (Restaurang Kryp In, Prästgatan 17) We had to wait a while for the meal because everything is cooked to order in a kitchen the size of most people's closets. But once the food arrived, all was forgiven! We both ordered the same dish, the fish and shellfish stew which cost 195 SEK/23 USD per person. If I'm going to spend that much money for lunch, I want something fabulous to eat and this restaurant delivered. Incidentally, this restaurant only serves lunch on week-ends starting in early May.

All in all, we felt we hadn't shortchanged our sightseeing time despite the leisurely lunch.

Cruise leaving June 14, originally at Nyshan, now docking in Stockholm. Looking forward to sail in.

I was on the Regal 5/12 sailing. This is the same as what we were told but when we boarded there was a note saying that because of propulsion issues that we were back to docking in Nyshan. I took a tour with SPB and they were aware of all the changes back and forth.

I would have liked to have done the sail in but now its an excuse to go back

We are not docking at "ocean cay" in Stockholm because that's in Copenhagen. We are, however, docking at the distant location which is 45 minutes away from the city.

I was wondering what ship you are on as I am trying to find out where we are docked on the Zuiderdam in about a month and wanted to make sure it was not our ship as that would be a terrible thing to happen when only there one day.

Thanks

I was wondering what ship you are on as I am trying to find out where we are docked on the Zuiderdam in about a month and wanted to make sure it was not our ship as that would be a terrible thing to happen when only there one day.

Thanks

For Stockholm, see the links in my signature.

If you are on the cruise that visits Stockholm on July 11th you will be mooring at a buoy in central Stockholm.

You will be dropped off at Skeppsbron, very close to where the ferries to Djurgården departs.

Edited by Desdichado62

I was on the Regal 5/12 sailing. This is the same as what we were told but when we boarded there was a note saying that because of propulsion issues that we were back to docking in Nyshan. I took a tour with SPB and they were aware of all the changes back and forth.

I would have liked to have done the sail in but now its an excuse to go back

Uh oh, will just have to keep my fingers and toes crossed. Out of my control. They will dock where they will. We had cancelled our tour with SBP when they changed the port to Stockholm.

may I ask how did you book your taxi from Hotel to the cruise ship? we are a big group - 11 people

Just tell the concierge what time you want to leave, and they will have everything ready. We left the hotel at 1pm, the ship left at 4. Had plenty of time.

Back at the ship

We were on Holland America, Zuiderdam, and it was scheduled to leave at 4. However, the captain changed to 5pm. So we were done with the SPB tour by 2 pm and they take you back to the ship, with nothing to do for 3 more hours. For 8 people they charged $320 for 2 more hours. As I said, if I did it again, I would do it on our own. Public transportation. Use Rick Steve's guide books.

A couple of us in our group went into the Nobel museum. Was OK, but not great, unless you are very interested in this sort of thing.

Edited by LDCKentucky

We were on Holland America, Zuiderdam, and it was scheduled to leave at 4. However, the captain changed to 5pm. So we were done with the SPB tour by 2 pm and they take you back to the ship, with nothing to do for 3 more hours. For 8 people they charged $320 for 2 more hours. As I said, if I did it again, I would do it on our own. Public transportation. Use Rick Steve's guide books.

A couple of us in our group went into the Nobel museum. Was OK, but not great, unless you are very interested in this sort of thing.

Hi LCD Thank you for your input. My group decided to do the DIY at Stockholm. since we are a big group, it was feasible to book taxi rides. So all taxi rides are all booked for the whole day.

If you are willing and able to get yourself around Stockholm via public transportation, you can do a lot of this same itinerary (with more time at Vasa and in Gamla Stan) on your own for, what I imagine would be, a fraction of the cost.

Last year we did "Stockholm-in-a-Day" using public transportation (bus to/from port and ferry to Djurgarden for the Vasa Museum), Free Walking Tours Stockholm for a 2-hour tour of Gamla Stan (not just the 1 hour you get on the above tour), more walking around with the Rick Steves guide and at least 2 hours in the Vasa Museum, including one of the free tours they offer. We also visited the Royal Coin Cabinet (interest in numismatics), but you could use that time for something else that might interest you.

Thanks Gradut - we have taken everybody's advice and we will do it on our own in Stockholm

Thank you for the information. We are going on the same cruise in August.

I could hardly find any information about Gothenburg and Helsingborg.

I would like to know, are the two ports close to town? Is there shuttle bus to town?

At small ports, I prefer walking around on our own schedule. Even though your private tour to Marstrand and Sofiero Castle sound very interesting!

My husband has bad knee, we like to take it easy. Is there much to see at those two towns? some shops & restaurants?

Thanks!

Best, Frances

Thank you for the information. We are going on the same cruise in August.

I could hardly find any information about Gothenburg and Helsingborg.

I would like to know, are the two ports close to town? Is there shuttle bus to town?

At small ports, I prefer walking around on our own schedule. Even though your private tour to Marstrand and Sofiero Castle sound very interesting!

My husband has bad knee, we like to take it easy. Is there much to see at those two towns? some shops & restaurants?

Thanks!

Best, Frances

For Göteborg you will likely berth pretty far out but there might be a shuttle that takes you downtown.

For Helsingborg I think will tender into port but from the port it is not far to the central city.

Göteborg and is a big city with plenty of shops/restaurants.

Helsingborg is smaller then Göteborg but you shouldn't have any problems finding shops/restaurants but I don't really know much about Helsingborg though.

Mastrand is a nice small coastal/archipelago town with mostly older wooden houses and a large coast fort on top of the island.

IMO it is nice if the weather is nice but not so nice if it rains.

http://www.goteborg.com/en/

http://www.visithelsingborg.com

http://www.marstrand.se/en/

https://sofiero.se/

Not sure how big Regal Princess is but I sailed on P&O Britannia last year on 5 Jun and I can tell you we were constantly given the run around with no one telling is where we were docking in Stockholm. The port authority had us down for Nynashaamn. A lot of us passengers were concerned as we had been so looking forward to doing the archipelago sail thru.

The Regal Princess can make it through the archipelago. It was scheduled to dock in the city on our cruise (in May) and we were really looking forward to that journey, but they had some kind of problem with their engines or thrusters or something, which meant they couldn't do it. So we docked in Nynäshamn instead.

I had read that although Stockholm is a pretty city, the real highlight is that trip through the archipelago. It seems a shame that no one has thought of running a river cruise from Nynäshamn into town and back, I'm sure they'd get a few takers.

We took the Ho Ho bus in Oslo, it was well worth it. Didn't try it in Stockholm as the route didn't look that interesting. For Warnemunde, we didn't go to Berlin (3 hours on a coach - no thanks), we did a tour with Friends of Dave instead. It was one of the highlights of our cruise, great day.

Edited by Marisawrite

I had read that although Stockholm is a pretty city, the real highlight is that trip through the archipelago. It seems a shame that no one has thought of running a river cruise from Nynäshamn into town and back, I'm sure they'd get a few takers.

It's too far from Nynäshamn to Stockholm. The shortest route is approximate 80km and that would skip a large part of the central archipelago.

It would take maybe 2,5 hours one way and you would not have much time to do any sightseeing. http://kartor.eniro.se/m/YCPMc

if you had to go around Värmdö, the distance would about 50% longer (one way) and would take over 3,5 hours. http://kartor.eniro.se/m/AODpY