Lava viewing

kgymn

Aloha all! I know people often ask where they can go to see lava flowing and is the lava flowing into the ocean? The answer is almost always if you want to see it flowing you need to take a helicopter and no it hasn't flowed into the ocean in years.

Well, the latest lava flow out of Pu'u O'O is making its way down the pali and they announced earlier they will be opening a lava viewing area today (June 30th, 2016.) By that, they mean they are opening the emergency road (connecting to chain of craters road) to foot traffic up to where the gate is to the national park. It's NOT super close to the lava, but you'll be able to see it from there. Looks like it's a decent flow. And it sounds like they are expecting it could end up flowing over the road towards the ocean (no timeline on that though.)

Here is a video about it http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2016/06/29/video-lava-update-kalapana-viewing-area-ready/

I'm going to be on the Big Island for the long weekend, so I will DEFINITELY be checking this out.

~Katy

Right now the hike in to see the flowing lava is three miles in each direction from the parking area at the end of Hwy. 130. I am not sure that much can be seen during the day from a distance, so you would have to do the long hike in. At night, there should be a red glow visible as the lava is making its way down the pali. Then, it will be interesting to see where (and if) it enters the ocean and how far the hike will be. Keep in mind that this three mile walk is over crushed black lava and it will be hot, hot, hot. Wear VERY sensible shoes and take plenty of water and supplies.

I am thinking that any day now the cruise ships will be cruising by this new flow. I can see the ships from my house, so I will keep my eyes open on Tuesday night to see if the Pride of America takes the route to try to view this lava flow. Stay tuned!!

Right now the hike in to see the flowing lava is three miles in each direction from the parking area at the end of Hwy. 130. I am not sure that much can be seen during the day from a distance, so you would have to do the long hike in. At night, there should be a red glow visible as the lava is making its way down the pali.

Maybe that's why access to the viewing area is currently only open daily from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. During our most recent visit several years ago the wind direction brought the hazardous cloud (sulphuric?) in a direction that required keeping everyone several miles away from the lava entering the ocean.

I am thinking they may start sailing past, too, at least POA. We were already talking about trying to do the cruise again in August. I feel like maybe I should just say forget budget and find a way to make it happen. Who knows how long it'll flow for and living on Oahu we only need to worry about time off not flights so we can book last minute.

I'm guessing we won't see much but glow but im thinking Monday doing nature's fireworks for the fourth! We don't fly out until Tuesday, by Monday it more than likely will be farther down hill, closer to the road than it is today.

*Fingers crossed*

~Katy

Edited by kgymn

As I type this, I am watching the Pride of America cruising by on her way to view the new lava flow from Kilauea. It will be interesting to hear what the passengers onboard were able to view tonight.

My parents are on POA. Hopefully I will hear from them today and have a picture or two to post. This is so Exciting!

Thanks!

This was a highlight on our first POA cruise, second = :( nada, none

We will be going again in September......

Note: POA did not post this "sail-by" very well (bottom of newsletter) - So just a HEADS UP for anyone sailing on the POA

*fingers and toes crossed*

So I got a text from my mom. She said, "The experience was awesome! Unfortunately couldn't get a very good picture. The whole hill was glowing but with interruptions… but you knew it was lava!"

So I got a text from my mom. She said, "The experience was awesome! Unfortunately couldn't get a very good picture. The whole hill was glowing but with interruptions… but you knew it was lava!"

*\0/* Yay! Thank you soooo mush for posting! I am excited to go now!

What time does Pride Of America sail past the lava?

Usually around 9:30.......Watch your daily, NCL didn't post it in the schedule, it was just a "note" at the bottom of the front page. They sail past it twice so both sides have a view.

I am going to see if there are now any outside dining venues.

Usually around 9:30.......Watch your daily, NCL didn't post it in the schedule, it was just a "note" at the bottom of the front page. They sail past it twice so both sides have a view.

How do they do this, both sides?

Do they head to the "lava view area", then turn around and head back and still go around the "other side" of the island, or do they turn yet again and continue on the lava side?

For NaPali Coast, they head one way, turn and come back, and continue in that direction, because they aren't heading around the island anymore.

Just curious how this will work, and THRILLED the lava is baaaaaack!

Thank you!

(Now we hope that NCL comes to its senses about some of their new policies, and we don't also cancel the PoA cruise.

However, we might cancel all NCL cruises *except* this one, because let's face it... there is no competition for this particular itinerary...)

The Aloha Lanai on the aft of the ship would be an excellent place to view from. It is covered by canopy, and somewhat protected from the night breezes while the ship is moving. It has tables if you want to bring dinner or munchies from the buffet just down the hall, and also large padded couches and chairs just to relax. Also a bar out there and some subdued entertainment on a few nights. You would be able to see the view regardless of the direction the ship is traveling in without having to run from one side of the ship to the other.

I think the 24 hour restaurant, the Cadellac, may have a few outside tables, but only on one side, Starboard? None of the specialty restaurants have outside dining. Moderno is adjacent to the Aloha Lanai area and has large windows which look out onto the Lanai, but I think the view would be much better from an outside deck like the Lanai. Check it out early in the cruise and scope out your optimum spot. That way you can get there very early and stake your claim.

Just returned from 7/2 sailing. The lava flows were visible from the starboard side. Top lights were dimmed to make viewing easier. Capt. slowed so it took over 45 minutes starting at 9:15 when they were first seen but 9:45 before abreast of the flows.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We hiked to see the lava with a tour guide this week. It was almost ten miles round trip. A few miles on the service road and then hikes over the lava rock to the bottom of the flow. We left at 4am so the tour isn't a good option for cruisers probably. It looks like some people did it themselves in the afternoon but it would be so incredibly hot then.

Not sure how much hiking will be required to view the ocean entry from land. I am thinking at least several miles each way. But, the view from the ship should be spectacular!!

Not sure how much hiking will be required to view the ocean entry from land. I am thinking at least several miles each way. But, the view from the ship should be spectacular!!

Oh absolutely! I imagine there are some boat tours one can take to view it, as well. I'm thinking about making a day trip. Also, great timing for the POA this week as I am certain they missed at least one of their days on Maui due to the storm, getting to see this should more than make up for that! At least it would if it were me.

~Katy

It is almost 3 miles to get to the lava. But it is on a gravel road. The. 3 miles back of course.