Lava viewing

kgymn

I heard this morning on the local news that the scientists are saying that they expect this lava flow into the ocean to continue for the "foreseeable future," so this this is good news for those cruisers booked on the POA and other Hawaii cruises in the foreseeable future!!!

I heard this morning on the local news that the scientists are saying that they expect this lava flow into the ocean to continue for the "foreseeable future," so this this is good news for those cruisers booked on the POA and other Hawaii cruises in the foreseeable future!!!

Is October 2017 foreseeable? What do you think the chances are that the Jewel will swing by there after leaving Hilo and heading for Tahiti on our Australia repo?

Is October 2017 foreseeable? What do you think the chances are that the Jewel will swing by there after leaving Hilo and heading for Tahiti on our Australia repo?

Looking at the Explorer sked for October 2017 it only goes to Honolulu and Lahaina. That would be a big detour to that side of the big island just on the off chance to see the glow of some lava.

Looking at the Explorer sked for October 2017 it only goes to Honolulu and Lahaina. That would be a big detour to that side of the big island just on the off chance to see the glow of some lava.

Yes, that would be a big detour if your ship does not port at the big island at all. But the Jewel will port at Hilo, so it is just a matter of which direction she sails when leaving. The POA does reverse direction to take in the lava flow when leaving Hilo en route to Kona depending on conditions. Just hoping that if the flow continues, the Jewel may do the same for passengers next year although it will make no stop in Kona.

I am almost positive that if the lava is still flowing in Oct. 2017 the JEWEL will do a sail by after leaving Hilo and heading to Tahiti. I figure the crew want to see this spectacular sight as much as the passenger do :D:D:D

I'm hoping it will still be flowing in January 2017 for our repeat POA cruise. However, I'm not going to cancel if it isn't. [emoji925][emoji924]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by relic2

How do they do this, both sides?

Do they head to the "lava view area", then turn around and head back and still go around the "other side" of the island, or do they turn yet again and continue on the lava side?

For NaPali Coast, they head one way, turn and come back, and continue in that direction, because they aren't heading around the island anymore.

Just curious how this will work, and THRILLED the lava is baaaaaack!

Thank you!

(Now we hope that NCL comes to its senses about some of their new policies, and we don't also cancel the PoA cruise.

However, we might cancel all NCL cruises *except* this one, because let's face it... there is no competition for this particular itinerary...)

When the Aloha was doing this 2004-2008, we would slow down and then use the thrusters to turn the ship 360 so both sides got a view, and then proceeded to Hilo. We would get so close that the engine room had to be in close contact with the bridge to let them know when the sea water was too warm to cool the engines, and time to back on out. We also had to stop making water because of the sulfur in the water.

We will be visiting Hilo in September and I hope the lava is still flowing and the 6 mile RT hike is not too bad. I know it would not be an easy hike but am hoping it is doable. It's been a long time since we've seen the lava flowing into the ocean. Can't wait. Cherie p.s. Chengkp75 - thanks for the report of what it's like trying to give cruise ship passengers a good view!!!

I hope that "foreseeable future" includes May 2018! That's when we'll be on the POA and this would just be icing on the cake for my youngest's graduation trip!

I think you could be stretching it, that's almost 2 years out.

I know, but one can hope! :D It's happened before where lava has flowed to the ocean for several years in a row, hasn't it?

Edited by olemissreb