Little French Key

menu1895

Nice to hear you had a great time!! I agree, staying ahead of the crowd can have big pay-offs! Curious what you thought about the animals, food, and if you snorkeled, how was it?

Unfortunately, we were there early for island time and the animals weren't out yet when we got there. Later on, we did see some monkeys and in the jaguar cage I think they had 2 other cats(lions maybe??) and birds. We just looked at them on our way out so didn't get to hold the spider monkey, etc. and they did say at the beginning that there were still no jaguars there because of political business. We did have 1 person go snorkeling in our group of 4 and he is still a novice but he thought it was really good. He said they saw a sunken ship and the Wall which he thought was pretty cool. I definitely think he thought it was worth the extra cost. I did the horseback riding and it was o.k. I liked that I was the only one so it wasn't the typical nose to tail ride but the guide did walk with the horse the whole time. He took us out into the water and around part of the island. I felt it was worth the extra $25, usually those rides are much more expensive.

Considering LFK, but the pictures do show any umbrella's with the loungers. We like shade. Any shaded areas or umbrellas????

There's plenty of areas with shade from trees (especially the areas with the beach over by the owners home).

P2240522%20copy-L.jpg

This is one of the newer beaches...plenty of shade:

P2240493%20copy-L.jpg

Beach area around the corner from the owners home:

P2240518%20copy-L.jpg

Tons of hammocks around the area with shade

P2240520%20copy-L.jpg

They do have umbrellas, just ask and they can put one up

P2240533%20copy-L.jpg

Hubby found him a "work desk" but you can see there's also tons of picnic tables for eating at, tons of tables and chairs under the house area, the bars are all covered with plenty of areas too.

P2240642%20copy-L.jpg

Shaded places for eating

PB110582%20copy-L.jpg

As you can tell, it depends on the time of day where the shade hits. This is the deck over by the lagoon area:

PB110161%20copy-L.jpg

PB110159%20copy-L.jpg

Huts like this too (some had couches in them).

PB110136%20copy-L.jpg

P5150762-L.jpg

You can even go up on one of the 2 story decks and hang out for a great view of LFK and the lagoon

PB110025%20copy-L.jpg

We were in the Kingston Beach area and there was a row of loungers under trees that stayed in the shade the whole time we were there from early morning until around 2 or 3 pm. Kingston Beach near a restaurant/bar and bathrooms but not too close that the noise was annoying.

Unfortunately, we were there early for island time and the animals weren't out yet when we got there. Later on, we did see some monkeys and in the jaguar cage I think they had 2 other cats(lions maybe??) and birds. We just looked at them on our way out so didn't get to hold the spider monkey, etc. and they did say at the beginning that there were still no jaguars there because of political business. We did have 1 person go snorkeling in our group of 4 and he is still a novice but he thought it was really good. He said they saw a sunken ship and the Wall which he thought was pretty cool. I definitely think he thought it was worth the extra cost. I did the horseback riding and it was o.k. I liked that I was the only one so it wasn't the typical nose to tail ride but the guide did walk with the horse the whole time. He took us out into the water and around part of the island. I felt it was worth the extra $25, usually those rides are much more expensive.

Sounds good! Didn't think about the horseback but might budget that in. We are very novice at snorkeling too and was thinking just stay and do on our own. Was it the addon that brought you out to the sunken ship? Too bad about all the political business with the animals there.

Mitsugirly, thank you for the pics. You had a very nice day, hardly any people at all!

Mitsugirly, thank you for the pics. You had a very nice day, hardly any people at all!

You're welcome. I've been there 3 times and never felt that it was "crowded", but that's just my opinion. There's just so much room to spread out and so many beaches to go to. I think the "main" area that people always like to hang out at is the lagoon area. This was the very first area they had and everyone seems to congregate in this area. It has several bars over there, that's where the 2 story jumping deck (one of them) is, the swim up bar is there, and also benches in the water to sit. It's just the "happening" place. They sometimes have live music over there too. So it can get crowded over there. But with all the additional beaches and grounds they have, I just think there's plenty of space there for everyone. :)

I've read you can look for the Frenchy guys too but don't know how reliable that is and I "think" there is a cap on guests.

Looking at pictures and I really like all the nooks and crannies to hang out!

Edited by menu1895

Where can I find the price for regular admission? Is the same price for kids?

Google their name and on their webpage you will see different packages and prices to pick from. The children get a discount. :) (Also, if you are a repeat person there in the future, you also get a discount).

Their website http://www.littlefrenchkey.com/ has a list of all the different package pricing. I did the $88.00 package which gives you use of the facilities(including transportation to/from the port and barge from Frenchy's over to the island), 2 free drinks and lunch that the people I was with thought was good(and some of them are very picky!). I added the horseback riding for $25.00 so for 2 $88 packages and the horseback ride it came to $201.00.

There were 4 people in my group and 2 of us had reservations and 2 of us didn't. When you meet up with Larry they will give you a "ticket" with numbers on it which is how I think they keep track of how many are on the island. Neither Larry or the driver asked if we had reservations or not so if you go later and they are out of tickets but had a reservation I'm not sure how they would work it. Maybe they hold tickets aside for the number of reservations they have? It definitely did not seem to be a problem not to have reservations.

I remember reading somewhere that General Admission went up from 20.00 to 25.00. However, this price is not listed on the website. I am not interested on lunch or drinks because my ship will be in port from 12:30 pm to 6:00 pm.

Their basic Island Package(no food or drinks) includes the following(as listed on the website)

"1.Entrance to the private Island and with use of the facility and visit to the zoo.

2.Round trip Transportation to and from our facilities.

We accept US cash and credit cards with an additional 15% Honduran Tax when paying with credit card. Kids under 11 receive 50% discount. We also offer 10% discount for group of ten or larger"

Use of the facility includes loungers, kayaks, paddleboards, restrooms, etc.+ zoo

When you meet up with Larry they will give you a "ticket" with numbers on it which is how I think they keep track of how many are on the island.

That's weird. I have been there 3 times and they have never given me a ticket when I met up with them. Is this new I wonder? The only tickets we ever receive are the drink tickets for the island. :confused:

It must be new then. I was there exactly 3 weeks ago today(can you tell I still want to be there! :):D) and as we were loading into the van they gave us what looked to me to be like a business card. During the ride to Frenchy's I noticed they all had numbers on them so we were assumed that is how they were keeping track of the number of people. Once we got to Frenchy's we turned those in when purchasing our packages and that's when I got my wristband, horseback riding and drink tickets.

I remember reading somewhere that General Admission went up from 20.00 to 25.00. However, this price is not listed on the website. I am not interested on lunch or drinks because my ship will be in port from 12:30 pm to 6:00 pm.

When I asked about this early last year I was told the $20pp entrance fee only applied to non-cruise ship days. If you wanted to visit, without their transportation, on a cruise ship day, you would deduct $25 from all packages, therefore minimum entrance would be $30.

Financially there would be no saving,if you had 4 or more in your party, since $25pp is the going rate for having a driver for the day but you would have the flexability to visit other places and in particular eat at a place of your choosing, which was important at the time of my inquiry because if the ridiculous price they wanted for food for a 3-year old. If there are only 2 in your party, it would be more expensive to have your own transport.

Of course, this was the policy last year and who knows what the policy, or prices, maybe this year.

Edited by c-leg5

It must be new then. I was there exactly 3 weeks ago today(can you tell I still want to be there! :):D) and as we were loading into the van they gave us what looked to me to be like a business card. During the ride to Frenchy's I noticed they all had numbers on them so we were assumed that is how they were keeping track of the number of people. Once we got to Frenchy's we turned those in when purchasing our packages and that's when I got my wristband, horseback riding and drink tickets.

Hmm, I wonder if they are trying something new to make sure that they keep the place to a minimum amount of people (not saying it's a "low" amount, just a certain amount :p). Hopefully it will work out good and be a positive experience.

Take this for what it's worth.. people probably cancel ressies and what not too.

I emailed for update this morning and received the following reply.

Good day,

We are close to 200 guest so far.

See you soon!

Best Regards,

Melissa Dixon

Ok just got back. We were there Thursday. Larry did not hand out tickets for our trip. We were the only ship and when we checked in the lady working counter said they were expecting about 175 for the day. Larry put us in a private car with Marvin and he zoomed passed the 3 busses to get us ahead of that wave. Marvin said they were expecting to do at least two more wave of busses before everyone got there. Once we paid they do now have these business card like tickets with numbers that are for drinks and food. So here is our experience. 175 was a lot better then the 500 we had last time. Most people seem to hang out in the lagoon as that is where we started the day until it got more busy. Then we headed to the area by the pizza bar which only had about a dozen people there.

I think the other reason people like the lagoon compared to the pizza beach/mermaid or the King Neptune area is once you wade in the water the ground is not soft but kinda rocky and pebbly compared to the soft sand. We did not care as both area had swim up bars and great service.

Animal update simba is still not back nor is a couple of the sweet monkeys. They did have rosita, Rico and Robert the monkey which came out to play. They do have a jag on the mainland cage that is pregnant with 2 cubs. Also the lion has been moved to his even bigger area and the lions old area is where the have a lion/jag mix cub. At first they said he was just a jag cub but finally the guy who takes care of him admitted that nope in fact it was a mix. I will try to attach a picture of him. Any way for $25 you can get in his cage and he will lick you like a dog and cuddle. Very sweet animal, much like simba. Also the lion lives his nose scratched.

With Marvin getting us there before the busses we beat the line and it seems like now they have 5 girls taking money, they said when people pay credit the machine slows down the process.

One last observation is when getting off the ship in coxen hole before you get outside there were a couple of booths that had signs for little French key and frenchies. I think what they were selling was just the transportation, then you could just pay as a walk up guest. Also big French key continues to grow on the other side of the lagoon, they now have water inflatables and other stuff. Since there was no carnival ship in port that area was dead LFK people were playing on there stuff and the BFK did not care. People would wade, kayak and paddle board over and no one said anything.