Take School Work

Joannedisfan

We leave in a week for our first ever cruise. My DD will be missing 8 days of school. We have already asked for any homework. DD is hoping to get most of it done over the weekend before we leave. Guess that is one benefit of the long weekend. Should I make her take any remaining school work or let her do it once we get home? Or take it in case she has down time and is bored. Or is it even possible to get board on a cruise ship. She is a Jr (Gr 11).

DS is in grade 1 and we homeschool. I was thinking of taking some reading books, but leave the rest of the school work at home.

Any advice?

Dd15 missed 10 days a school last year to travel overseas for dance competitions (5 and 5, months apart). She did work before the trip, work every day of the trip, and it took a solid week after the trip to get caught up. Thank goodness for hotel wifi!

I say no, do not take schoolwork on cruise. My wife and I are taking our kids out of school for 6 days for vacation and we will not be taking any schoolwork with us. We will do what we can ahead of time and finish catching up afterwards, if necessary. We look at it this way: we won't be doing any of our work on vacation so they shouldn't have to either.

Mine did it on the plane to and from. Some they did on board. The funniest one was when we asked our Italian waiter to answer a question about Spanish. Finally he took the paper and said he would bring it back the next day. The flight is boring anyway.

The one was to measure men's arm from the bend in the arm to their wrist and right down their shoe size. The problem was, the guys were from all over the world and shoe sizes didn't match. We even had the CD jump in and help with projects (getting supplies).

There is down time on the cruise like at home. They don't go go go then come back to the cabin and go right to bed.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Thanks everyone. I think DD will take what ever she can't get done ahead of time. She plans to get everything on Friday and that gives her all weekend and Monday to get a lot done. She will just have to take what ever she can't get done with her. For DS I will bring a few things that don't take a lot of weight and are fun. He's been really getting into reading so I plan to bring a few books at least.

That project with the shoes size sounds like it was fun.

Don't take the school books with you. Copy the pages she needs.

We took DD out for two weeks in her JR year also. She was able to do some at home. We copied the pages she needed including the answer pages (Algebra 2). We also copied all the necessary handouts. She only took copies. Books are heavy and expensive be to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One year when we were stopping in Cozumel, my DD's Spanish teacher asked her to bring back a Newspaper written in Spanish. We could not find any place that sold them. We bought some souvenirs at one shop and noticed that they got wrapped in a Spanish written newspaper. We ended up unwrinkling it the best we could and used that. It worked :D:p.

We've brought work with us whenever the teachers would give it ahead of time. Helps the kids stay with the class and less work for them when they get back. There's always some downtime and it's always better doing work on a cruise ship than in the classroom!

As a teacher, I will say that it is very irritating when I am asked to spend my time preparing a work packet for a student who will be absent and the student does not take the time to complete it.

For those that said that you feel your child should not have to do any schoolwork because you chose to turn school time into vacation time, please don't waste their teacher's time by asking for work you don't intend for them to complete. (If you don't ask for work in advance because you know they won't do it, then this complaint is not for you.)

To be clear, sometimes students have had difficulties with certain assignments or didn't understand the directions and they need help and time to complete them. This is understandable. However, when I rearrange my schedule to spend an hour making copies and writing notes about what we will discuss in class, and a student returns saying "Oh, I didn't have time" as if it's no big deal, it's very frustrating. That attitude also hurts other students who do intend to stay caught up. Some teachers I know will no longer provide work in advance because it takes so much of their time and so often doesn't get done anyway.

So if you've asked for work to be provided in advance, then it's your responsibility to make sure it is completed.

• 3 weeks later...
As a teacher, I will say that it is very irritating when I am asked to spend my time preparing a work packet for a student who will be absent and the student does not take the time to complete it.

For those that said that you feel your child should not have to do any schoolwork because you chose to turn school time into vacation time, please don't waste their teacher's time by asking for work you don't intend for them to complete. (If you don't ask for work in advance because you know they won't do it, then this complaint is not for you.)

To be clear, sometimes students have had difficulties with certain assignments or didn't understand the directions and they need help and time to complete them. This is understandable. However, when I rearrange my schedule to spend an hour making copies and writing notes about what we will discuss in class, and a student returns saying "Oh, I didn't have time" as if it's no big deal, it's very frustrating. That attitude also hurts other students who do intend to stay caught up. Some teachers I know will no longer provide work in advance because it takes so much of their time and so often doesn't get done anyway.

So if you've asked for work to be provided in advance, then it's your responsibility to make sure it is completed.

Great post!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I taught Home and Hospital for years and ran into this teacher attitude many times. Interestingly enough, it was the teachers in the 'higher economic bracket' schools that were put out. The teachers in the schools that catered to the 'lower economic bracket' gave work happily and willingly.

I taught Home and Hospital for years and ran into this teacher attitude many times. Interestingly enough, it was the teachers in the 'higher economic bracket' schools that were put out. The teachers in the schools that catered to the 'lower economic bracket' gave work happily and willingly.

I don't know about this. We live in a nice area and our school district is small: 1 high school, 1 middle school, 3 elementary and a continuation school. There are only around 1500 students in the whole district and believe me, they get a lot of one on one teaching.

We have a very high amount of kids that go on to higher education. Our schools are rated some of the best in the country. Our high school ranks 51 in the nation and 7 in California this year. They are literally lined up to get into this school district.

My point goes directly to your economic comment responding to gluecksbaer and teacher's attitudes. The teachers in our neighborhood will have no problem preparing a homework package for you. Yes, you will have to give proper notice. Unless you hand it in the morning of your return with all of your homework totally complete you will receive a zero on all work and it will be reflected in your permanent record. Our district has zero tolerance for not doing your homework while on vacation. Sometimes they even add on special projects to coincide with your destination.

They took this stance because so many parents said "you're on vacation, you don't have to do it" attitude and the kids and classmates suffered.

Our school district has a no excuse policy of 15 days absent or late and you have to repeat the class. I would not have even known about this except I knew someone who was fighting the school over the late policy because the young man had to go across the school for one class and he managed to be late a lot. Easy to be sick 7 days so you may want to check.

There will not be many other kids their age on board (if any) so it might be easy to find time to do homework.

One last comment. If your older child can miss 8 days of school in a row and do all the homework without a reference book, the work is too easy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Like everything, times have changed. It used to be taking a kid out of school, no matter what the grade, wasn't a big deal. I did it tons of times without a single thought.

Now, however, the school gets paid on the students being at school. If they are absent X amount of days the school is penalized. For high school, I doubt I would do it. For kindergarten through 8th grade I would still do it.

When my son was in the first grade I was able to change a no-where cruise into a 7 day cruise to Alaska. It was the last week of school. You know, the week they don't do anything because school is over an the teacher doesn't care. Wind down week.

So I tell them I am taking my son out of school for a week to Alaska. The teacher is miffed. She thinks he can learn more being in school. Personally, I think she was just jealous. I asked her: what can you possibly teach him in the next five days that will give him a better education then seeing Alaska, seeing the glaciers, panning for gold etc. What? No answer. I still say he would learn more from me in the next five days. Bummer. I took him out anyways.

It seems you missed the point. The teacher was saying don't ask for work if you don't intend to complete it. How is a teacher asking for her time to be respected an "attitude"?:rolleyes:

Your comments about higher and lower economic brackets were very assuming and naive.