Chilkoot Charters- Train Up Or Back?

barcelonamom

I will be going to Alaska in June On Princess Ruby. Will book Chilkoot Charters in Oct once their bookings are up online. I asked them which is better, train up or back? They replied both are the same and equally popular. I have been reading tons of reviews and can't decide. Our party would like the later start, which is bus up, train back. But are you rushed to get to the train in time? I would think it would be more relaxed taking the bus back. It seems most people want the 7:30 tour which is train up bus back. Any thoughts? Or am I looking too much into this?

You are looking too much into this.

And IMO - it doesn't matter which mode of transportation you do first.

When we drive, we live to get out first thing in the morning to get out before the large busses do so we are not sharing the stops with 50 people from a bus. So if I had a choice, I would probably leave early and do bus first. I am sure Chilkoot avoids stopping when busses do anyway.

Pick the time that works best for your group. Don't worry about which to do first.

Edited by Coral

I am toying between the two longer options: Bennett Scenic Journey and Yukon Rail and Bus. They are only about 30 minutes difference. What then is the big difference? Bennett seems to have 67.5 miles of rail compared to Rail and Bus which has 28. Is the bus longer on Rail and Bus? Is the rail terminus for both the same? Right now I am leaning towards the Rail and Bus, but I am very open to input from others.

I am toying between the two longer options: Bennett Scenic Journey and Yukon Rail and Bus. They are only about 30 minutes difference. What then is the big difference? Bennett seems to have 67.5 miles of rail compared to Rail and Bus which has 28. Is the bus longer on Rail and Bus? Is the rail terminus for both the same? Right now I am leaning towards the Rail and Bus, but I am very open to input from others.

We have done both and enjoyed them tremendously. The big difference is that on the Bennett one goes on a spur line to Bennett Lake then onto Carcross, instead of directly to Carcross. Bennett Lake is at the end of the Chilkoot Trail. I highly recommend that anyone who goes on the train read one of Pierre Berton's books about the gold rush.

I've done the Lake Bennett trip a couple of times and yes the train portion is significantly longer. Very nice views as you travel directly alongside the lake as you head into Carcross. I've booked with Chilkoot and they have their own car on the train, much more private than the ones with the ship tours as there is far less people aboard

Used to be a nice lunch with a bowl of stew in Lake Bennett but I think its now just some sort of boxed sandwich lunch.

I've booked with Chilkoot and they have their own car on the train, much more private than the ones with the ship tours as there is far less people aboard

Used to be a nice lunch with a bowl of stew in Lake Bennett but I think its now just some sort of boxed sandwich lunch.

We did the trip this June. We had our own car at the rear of the train. Seats were well padded and large windows for great views. I love going up the mountain like the gold rushers. The boxed lunch was excellent--large turkey sandwich on a roll, lettuce +tomato packed separately, pasta salad, huge cookie, and something else I'm forgetting--maybe fruit. Chilkoot has cases of water bottles in the train car for use during the day. We purchased coffee in Carcross before our bus ride down the mountain. We have seen black bear eating dandelions on both our trips.

I just did this trip (for the second time)

we did the train first , then the trip to emerald lake (Carcross)

we were never rushed and had time to see the town post tour

lunch was at the same place the cruise ships stop (Caribou crossing) it was chicken, coleslaw , potatoes rolls and donuts for desert

we did have our own car (caboose) on the train for a group of 8 people only

it was a wonderful trip

We took the bus up and the train back. It was perfect! We got to relax and enjoy the trip back and walk around after being in the bus it was great.

Does Chilkoot drive you back into town when you get off the train? We are a family of 6 planning to go on Royal Caribbean June 2017.

I will be going to Alaska in June On Princess Ruby. Will book Chilkoot Charters in Oct once their bookings are up online. I asked them which is better, train up or back? They replied both are the same and equally popular. I have been reading tons of reviews and can't decide. Our party would like the later start, which is bus up, train back. But are you rushed to get to the train in time? I would think it would be more relaxed taking the bus back. It seems most people want the 7:30 tour which is train up bus back. Any thoughts? Or am I looking too much into this?

I booked Chilkoot this past July and it was an outstanding tour and I highly recommend them. I had read on these boards that the morning train up does occasionally run into fog which impacts the view. For that reason I wanted the train ride down but based on the hours in port, could only book the train up and yes, we did encounter fog but the ride was still amazing. We were in the last train car. Chilkoot would not confirm this when booking but it seems they are given the last train car. On the ride up the seats on the left have the much better view.

When we reached Canada, the driver (Kevin) who dropped us off at the train station met us and provided much description during our tour. There were only about 10 of us in a van that holds 20-24 and with less passengers we were able to make many more stops along the road for picturesque views.

I have only positive things to say regarding Chilkoot tours.

In May I did the road trip first then took the train back to Skagway. The advice I received was this: If you're docking at Skagway early (we arrived at 7:00 AM) it's often cloudy/foggy - and it was. If you take the road tour first you'll be over the mountains fairly quickly and away from the fog/clouds as they tend to hug the Skagway side of the mountains. If you're on the train it's likely you'll be in fog/clouds and see very little on the ride up. The fog burns off a little later in the morning so if you ride the train back you should be able to see plenty from the train. I could be completely wrong...I'm *NOT* an expert.

Good luck!

We had initially wanted to take the bus up and train back, having read here about the thought of morning fog lifting and making for a better train trip. In the end we didn't have a choice due to booking late. It was fine though, lots of fun and informative. Chilkoot met us close to the ship and took us the short distance to the train station and got us onto the assigned train car (wasn't in the back, about mid train) When we got to Fraser our Chilkoot driver (Brian) was there waiting for us. He stopped numerous places on the way down and seemed to know places to avoid the big busses. He gave us the option of being dropped in town or returning to the ship. We only wanted a shorter tour (3hrs total) which meant we didn't have to be anywhere at the crack of dawn and still left plenty of time in town.

I'm so torn on this excrusion. I thought it would be awesome but I don't know if the kids will be bored. They will be 6, 8, 9 and 12.

We did the Bennett Scenic trip with our 6yo back in June and she liked it. I will say it did help that we brought an IPad, she would use it from time to time.

My trip report is in my signature if you want to check it out