Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

FYI - new ADA Final Rule

On November 21, 2016, Attorney General Loretta Lynch signed a Final Rule revising the Justice Department’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) title III regulation to further clarify a public accommodation’s obligation to provide appropriate auxiliary aids and services for people with disabilities. The Final Rule requires require movie theaters to: (1) have and maintain the equipment necessary to provide closed movie captioning and audio description at a movie patron’s seat whenever showing a digital movie produced, distributed, or otherwise made available with these features; (2) provide notice to the public about the availability of these features; and (3) ensure that theater staff is available to assist patrons with the equipment before, during, and after the showing of a movie with these features.

Title III of the ADA requires public accommodations, including movie theaters, to provide effective communication through the use of auxiliary aids and services. This rulemaking specifies requirements that movie theaters must meet to satisfy their effective communication obligations to people with hearing and vision disabilities unless compliance results in an undue burden or a fundamental alteration. For a summary of the Final Rule and its requirements, see the “Final Rule Questions & Answers” on the ADA website.

Hi Honey's, we're home!!!!! What an amazing 19 day journey through the Panama Canal. Simply gorgeous scenery, warm and welcoming people and beautiful, wet, hot and humid environs.

The journey began in L.A. and took us through some of the most beautiful visuals that I have seen onboard a cruise.

We were welcomed by Princess hostesses and hurried through crowds of people to board the Island Princess ahead of the maddening crowds. There are Princess Reps. who recognize me and Horton and help us through the registration madness. This ship was full of senior citizens with walkers, wheelchairs and canes......Mind you, I'm one of them but OMG....there was more gray hair than a Florida rest home!!!!

Our cabin was one that was added to the Promenade Deck. PR702, allowing a potty box to be placed on it with ease. We also had a "touch and feel" relationship with the Canal that was unquestionably the highlight of our journey.

Since there was another dog onboard who was working with a gentleman who was an Iraqi War Vet., we had another box placed on a deck below, in a stairwell. The other dog's name was Rex and he and Horton had their very own potty box's with their names over them. Rex was trained to scope out his handlers room before he entered it to make sure that no one was hiding in it to attack him. Rex also kept him calm in large crowds and on elevators.......He said that Rex actually helped him to get out of his wheelchair, walk again, and go back into society.....Amazing story, for sure!!!! I was honored to meet them both! He also said that he liked to cruise because, "it's like a small village of people who are accountable for their actions!" I hugged him and thanked him for his service to our country! Princess gives a large discount to these war heroes so they can enjoy travel again!

Our CD was Richard Joseph......the best! He had signs made reserving Horton's and my seats in the Princess Theatre. We NEVER had to scurry or worry about where we were going to sit during the many shows onboard. Which I must add were the best I've ever seen, on any cruise!!!!! Princess Theatres are notorious for being too small to handle the crowd onboard!

I missed you all and am glad to be back at work after a much needed respite.

I enjoyed reading Fairbourne's story and hearing from our many new writers, and thank you Walt for taking care of us.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving as Horty and I did.

I'm booked to Hawaii next December and Alaska in 2018. We made so many more friends who want to travel with Horty again. And, went to visit the FCC Desk to book their cruises, assuring that they'd be with us again!!!

I have to thank our Servers; Bernard and Wilbert and the most amazing Room Steward; Rodolfo and Housekeeping Manager; Carmen for making this cruise such a joy and so much fun!!!!!

To the Immigration Officials who thought that calling my cabin at 6:00am every time we came into another port, and picked up Horton for another exam......well, I wish you SLEEPLESS NIGHTS!!!! So annoying!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi Honey's, we're home!!!!! What an amazing 19 day journey through the Panama Canal. Simply gorgeous scenery, warm and welcoming people and beautiful, wet, hot and humid environs.

Welcome back Roz! It sounds like you had an amazing time and so good to hear that you and Horton were treated well by Princess.

Dianne

FYI - new ADA Final Rule

On November 21, 2016, Attorney General Loretta Lynch signed a Final Rule revising the Justice Department’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) title III regulation to further clarify a public accommodation’s obligation to provide appropriate auxiliary aids and services for people with disabilities. The Final Rule requires require movie theaters to: (1) have and maintain the equipment necessary to provide closed movie captioning and audio description at a movie patron’s seat whenever showing a digital movie produced, distributed, or otherwise made available with these features; (2) provide notice to the public about the availability of these features; and (3) ensure that theater staff is available to assist patrons with the equipment before, during, and after the showing of a movie with these features.

Title III of the ADA requires public accommodations, including movie theaters, to provide effective communication through the use of auxiliary aids and services. This rulemaking specifies requirements that movie theaters must meet to satisfy their effective communication obligations to people with hearing and vision disabilities unless compliance results in an undue burden or a fundamental alteration. For a summary of the Final Rule and its requirements, see the “Final Rule Questions & Answers” on the ADA website.

Thanks for posting! This is really significant news and I was so pleased that the Hearing Loss Association of America lobbied for it. I haven't been to a movie in a theater in so long I can't remember when because there are no captions (other than at National Park visitor centers or museums which are sometimes captioned). I'm always disappointed to be on ships that don't have captioning in the movie theaters or stateroom TVs. Technology now makes CART (communication access real-time translation) much more feasible, too, for live performances and lectures but very rarely is it provided.

We encountered a few folks out of thousands who wanted absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH HORTON. They would walk away from us or would not enter the elevator and would sit as far away from us that they could. Sometimes acting very obvious of their dislike for dogs. I did my best to avoid them when I saw them. But, there were so many others who wanted to touch, talk or just be with him that they out-numbered the negative few!

Horton was such a wonderful ambassador for all of us. He didn't waiver in his acceptance of every new situation. He behaved like a perfect gentleman at all times. Whatever he was asked to do, he did without a blink. I was so proud of him and proud to walk beside him.

There's no doubt that when a huge dog is in a small environment and performs very difficult tasks with ease that we can walk with pride beside them.

Thank you Canine Companions for Independence, his Puppy Raisers and trainers for all that you did to teach my Horton to be a perfect gentle, well mannered and hard working Service Dog for me!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Well we just found out that we won't be in the February class at CCI for my daughter's successor dog. They don't have a dog that will fit her needs. So now we hope for the April/May class. That stinks because February is my slow time at work. Things start to jump in the spring and summer. But I have a very understanding boss so hopefully things will work out.

Well we just found out that we won't be in the February class at CCI for my daughter's successor dog. They don't have a dog that will fit her needs. So now we hope for the April/May class. That stinks because February is my slow time at work. Things start to jump in the spring and summer. But I have a very understanding boss so hopefully things will work out.

It's the "meant to be thing!" I, too, had to wait longer than I wanted for Horton and I was so disappointed at the wait. But, had I not waited I wouldn't have been matched with this wonderful being!

Hang in there and know that these things happen for reasons that we just can't explain. I totally understand the angst that goes with the waiting!

That is so disappointing - but, as others have said, CCI seems to know what they are doing when they make the matches. During training, I would not have thought I would be matched with Henri (I only worked with her at the very end of the 2nd day and had a hard time keeping her from forging), but she is perfect for me. Who knows, sometime might change between now and February.

Dianne

I have so many stories to share about our cruise and all that occurred during it.

First, the Cruise Director Richard Joseph was over the top wonderful. He acknowledged Horton and I by having two seats reserved every night for the shows. It was perfect. We didn't have to worry about arriving a bit late and foraging for a seat. There was ALWAYS a safe place for Horton to lay down and NOT be stepped on! Oh! Sure! There was the cranky lady or man who complained that there is "NO SIT SAVING" but the folks who defended Horty were always there to settle them down!!!!!

This cruise had a lot of walkers, wheel chairs and canes. All of these devices can be deadly to a dog. Thank goodness that everyone was cognizant of Horton's size and tail. He only got bumped once by a fellow who didn't have good vision and wasn't expecting a dog to be in the doorway! He was very apologetic!

I can't tell you how many elevator doors he stopped from closing with that tail!!!!! Most folks were very understanding and even smiled and giggled at it. The one's who were miffed were so outnumbered it was fun to be in the majority for a change!!!! I didn't have to use my defensive "Roz" voice very much!!!!! That might all change when we're on our Hawaii cruise next December.

Horton was pretty much "DONE" by the time we hit the parking lot and found our car.....he refused to walk one-more-step.......I promised him it was going to be a long time before he had to be on such good behavior for such a long time.

Although our dogs are pretty amazing when it comes to being out and about and in the public eye, they do get "burned out" and need some time to themselves, just like we do!!!!

I have so many stories to share about our cruise and all that occurred during it.

First, the Cruise Director Richard Joseph was over the top wonderful. He acknowledged Horton and I by having two seats reserved every night for the shows. It was perfect. We didn't have to worry about arriving a bit late and foraging for a seat. There was ALWAYS a safe place for Horton to lay down and NOT be stepped on! Oh! Sure! There was the cranky lady or man who complained that there is "NO SIT SAVING" but the folks who defended Horty were always there to settle them down!!!!!

This cruise had a lot of walkers, wheel chairs and canes. All of these devices can be deadly to a dog. Thank goodness that everyone was cognizant of Horton's size and tail. He only got bumped once by a fellow who didn't have good vision and wasn't expecting a dog to be in the doorway! He was very apologetic!

I can't tell you how many elevator doors he stopped from closing with that tail!!!!! Most folks were very understanding and even smiled and giggled at it. The one's who were miffed were so outnumbered it was fun to be in the majority for a change!!!! I didn't have to use my defensive "Roz" voice very much!!!!! That might all change when we're on our Hawaii cruise next December.

Horton was pretty much "DONE" by the time we hit the parking lot and found our car.....he refused to walk one-more-step.......I promised him it was going to be a long time before he had to be on such good behavior for such a long time.

Although our dogs are pretty amazing when it comes to being out and about and in the public eye, they do get "burned out" and need some time to themselves, just like we do!!!!

That was a long time for Horty to be on the ship. I know when we come home, Wexler sleeps for 2 days. I can't imagine how pooped Horty must be. Sounds like you had a great time!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

That was a long time for Horty to be on the ship. I know when we come home, Wexler sleeps for 2 days. I can't imagine how pooped Horty must be. Sounds like you had a great time!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Cindy, he was so done!!!!! He did sleep for days. He has a crate at work and took full advantage of it by going right into it the next day and I had to nudge him out of it when it came time to go potty and even to eat!

This might have something to do with his age too! When he was younger it was easier to bounce back!

Cindy, he was so done!!!!! He did sleep for days. He has a crate at work and took full advantage of it by going right into it the next day and I had to nudge him out of it when it came time to go potty and even to eat!

This might have something to do with his age too! When he was younger it was easier to bounce back!

Henri does the same thing when we travel - she comes home and wants to sleep all day (and she is only 3 1/2). I think its because she doesn't get to nap as much when we are traveling and stays up later than we we are at home.

Dianne

Hi from Miami, everybody, where we'll board Celebrity's Eclipse in a few hours. Rainy here, but not cold so I'll take it!

We drove down yesterday, spent the night at a hotel and will leave the car for ten days. Looking forward to all the decorations on the ship - this is our 3rd pre-Christmas birthday sailing with Raylene, who turns 5 on board next week!

Back home for Christmas.

Hi from Miami, everybody, where we'll board Celebrity's Eclipse in a few hours. Rainy here, but not cold so I'll take it!

We drove down yesterday, spent the night at a hotel and will leave the car for ten days. Looking forward to all the decorations on the ship - this is our 3rd pre-Christmas birthday sailing with Raylene, who turns 5 on board next week!

Back home for Christmas.

Can't wait to hear about it!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Back home for Christmas.

Mayor of Lurkerville jumping in to say enjoy your trip! We are watching the Port of Miami webcam, and your ship is the easiest to see on screen. Hope the weather gets sunny and nice for you. Best wishes for a great launch and calm seas! (Watching on my tablet. On the television, we can see the Key West webcam on Youtube. Two ships there right now.) :)

Welcome home Roz and Horton! It was so quiet while you were away. Maybe things will get back to normal around here, now that you're back.

Fairborne, I still think all of us on this side of the ocean need to make a visit to meet all the folks in your delightful stories. What a time we would have! Keep us informed on all the puppy walkers' news.

Thanks!

Beckie

Back home for Christmas.

Have a great time Chris and tell Raylene that Lucy says Happy Birthday!

We are taking Lucy to Port St Joe on the Florida Gulf Coast for a week starting next Saturday...yay