which of these excursions in Juneau?

lucy2mb

I originally thought our family of 6 would go to Mendenhall Glacier but I am not sure now. It is still on my list of possibilities. For those of you who have been before, what do you suggest? It is down to the Mendenhall Glacier, the gold mining excursion with Carnival going down to the mine before panning for gold, or a whale watching excursion with Harv and Marv (or do you have another suggestion for the whale watching?) Our cruise starts May 6th and we are only in Juneau from 7:00 to 4:00. Our young adult children have always liked the excursions I have planned in the Caribbean. They know I like to do the research and will be happy with whatever I choose. I just need suggestions because this will probably be our only time in Alaska.

I originally thought our family of 6 would go to Mendenhall Glacier but I am not sure now. It is still on my list of possibilities. For those of you who have been before, what do you suggest? It is down to the Mendenhall Glacier, the gold mining excursion with Carnival going down to the mine before panning for gold, or a whale watching excursion with Harv and Marv (or do you have another suggestion for the whale watching?) Our cruise starts May 6th and we are only in Juneau from 7:00 to 4:00. Our young adult children have always liked the excursions I have planned in the Caribbean. They know I like to do the research and will be happy with whatever I choose. I just need suggestions because this will probably be our only time in Alaska.

Whale watching and then see if they can drop you off at Mendenhall after. They are on the same part of town so you don't want to go back to near the pier and then head out back to Mendenhall. Visiting Mendenhall is ok but not outstanding. I wouldn't plan on that being your only excursion in Juneau. If you haven't whale watched before, I would do that with a visit to Mendenhall - most whale watching tours will do a combo.

Panning for gold is pretty lame, enjoyable for maybe young kids but a rip off IMO.

Not sure what your children are interested in but some really cool excursions (and very expensive) include helicopter rides and landing on glaciers or possibly landing on glacier and dog mushing. 20 something kids would LOVE This.

Taku Glacier Lodge is also a highlight and rated very high.

I would involve your adult children and see what they want to do. As far as your only time in Alaska, once I started going to Alaska, I stopped wanting to go to the Caribbean :). I didn't expect to love Alaska but it really is amazing.

Edited by Coral

Whale watching and then see if they can drop you off at Mendenhall after. They are on the same part of town so you don't want to go back to near the pier and then head out back to Mendenhall. Visiting Mendenhall is ok but not outstanding. I wouldn't plan on that being your only excursion in Juneau.

Panning for gold is pretty lame, enjoyable for maybe young kids but a rip off IMO.

I will mark Mendenhall off my list now. I want something outstanding. I had thought about the Tram but wasn't sure it would be worth it.

Thank you!!!

Our first time in Juneau we took the blue bus to Mendenhall. We were there for a couple of hours. We didn't go into the visitor's centre as we had to get back to town by a certain time. We enjoyed Mendenhall. There are a couple of nice walking trails. We saw bald eagles. We saw lovely ice sculptures floating in the water on our way to the glacier and Nugget Falls. The falls were awesome. There is a body of water between the trail and the glacier, but it was still cool to see up close.

After that we did the Taku Lodge flightseeing tour. We flew over a bunch of glaciers which was something to see. We had the best salmon lunch ever at the lodge. I still dream about it. :) There is a bear who sometimes shows up...and she did. So they called us outside, quietly, and we stood around watching the bear who was trying to get the salmon oil off the grill. We were about 20 feet away from her. After lunch we went on a short walk through the forest and learned about the flora and fauna. Then we flew back.

I spent a lot of time researching whale watching tours and when I presented my findings to my husband he said "what do we want to do that for??" Hahaha.....so that was of no interest. We were all about the glaciers.

But what is of interest to your family? It is only going to be awesome if it's something you are interested in.

BTW, the tram is expensive and if you can't see the top from the bottom, then it will be too foggy to see the bottom from the top. We did hike up there on our second trip to Juneau and then took the tram down. They presented a short film on the Tlingkits and there's a gift shop and bathrooms.

I will mark Mendenhall off my list now. I want something outstanding. I had thought about the Tram but wasn't sure it would be worth it.

Thank you!!!

Visiting Mendenhall is a great add on to Whale Watching. There are some great trails around it if your family is into hiking. Though if your cruise is going to Glacier Bay, it will pale in comparison. If you plan on just going to the visitor center and take pictures from the viewing sites, it is just ok. I usually include Mendenhall if I am whale watching as they are close to each other. It has severely retreated since I first started going to Alaska.

If you take a helicopter and land on Mendenhall, that is entirely different.

I agree with the Tram - it is an ok add on but not great. I would only buy tickets on the day of the trip, if the weather is not clear, you probably won't want to go up there.

Alaskan excursions are expensive compared to the Caribbean and there is far more to do here than the Caribbean. I would probably include the adult kids in choosing of excursions for this trip as opposed to picking them for them, especially if this will be the only trip.

Visiting Mendenhall is a great add on to Whale Watching. There are some great trails around it if your family is into hiking. Though if your cruise is going to Glacier Bay, it will pale in comparison. If you plan on just going to the visitor center and take pictures from the viewing sites, it is just ok. I usually include Mendenhall if I am whale watching as they are close to each other. It has severely retreated since I first started going to Alaska.

If you take a helicopter and land on Mendenhall, that is entirely different.

I agree with the Tram - it is an ok add on but not great. I would only buy tickets on the day of the trip, if the weather is not clear, you probably won't want to go up there.

Alaskan excursions are expensive compared to the Caribbean and there is far more to do here than the Caribbean. I would probably include the adult kids in choosing of excursions for this trip as opposed to picking them for them, especially if this will be the only trip.

I have found the excursions to be a lot more expensive for sure!

I always discuss the excursions with our children before making the final decision to make sure they will be happy. I need to keep the cost less than $200 p/p since my husband and I are paying. We already have a big excursion booked in Skagway. Thanks again!

I have found the excursions to be a lot more expensive for sure!

I always discuss the excursions with our children before making the final decision to make sure they will be happy. I need to keep the cost less than $200 p/p since my husband and I are paying. We already have a big excursion booked in Skagway. Thanks again!

This is definitely a different type of a trip. I would even have the kids look at the excursions before you decide and maybe split up if they want to do something different. For example - everyone thinks Alaska is for the old but there are so many cool things to do when you are young such as glacier trekking. Maybe the kids would be willing to kick in for the difference if the price is more than your budget.

Being a part for 3 hours isn't going to be a big issue.

Edited by Coral

This is definitely a different type of a trip. I would even have the kids look at the excursions before you decide and maybe split up if they want to do something different. For example - everyone thinks Alaska is for the old but there are so many cool things to do when you are young such as glacier trekking. Maybe the kids would be willing to kick in for the difference if the price is more than your budget.

Being a part for 3 hours isn't going to be a big issue.

Well, I guess I should have asked everyone before I even asked the question about whale watching. My husband said that didn't interest him at all. I was surprised! We all usually like to stay together on at least one excursion and we will be doing that in Skagway. We may be splitting up in Juneau. We are thinking about renting a car also. Are there places of interest to drive to in Juneau? I don't want to rent a car for just the glacier. We could take a cab to that from what I read. My husband is a photographer and he would like pretty scenery. He also mentioned gold panning. I am just not sure about renting a car unless there are several places to drive to for good scenery. I need advice!

Gold panning seems to win a lot of great reviews for those with elementary children. Those older often find it corny.

I would have to agree with Coral. If your only plan for the day is Mendenhall glacier and the tram, it could be a disappointing port day. The combination of these tours, people do if they are on a very strict financial budget.

Have you kids look at some of the glacier landings and see if that appeals to them. Our family with adult kids did Taku glacier one year and we all loved this trip. Relaxing day with good trails, great scenery and the best salmon we have had. It was the highlight of our cruise that year.

Thank you!!!

You get some nice views from the top of the tram, but there is nothing special about it.

I do not recommend the gold mine for the kids. I have done it and they will get really bored. I absolutely say yes to the whale watching tour. Also the Blue Busses only run every 1/2 hr to get back and forth too Juneau from Mendenhall so make sure you give your self plenty of time to get back to the ship in time. You can pan for gold in Skagway on a Chilkoot tour. The kids will have fun doing that. Have a great time.

What are you other glacier viewing opportunities.

I took the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm, Mendenhall was a let down after that.

I have not done it myself, but I have considered Taku Lodge. (I've seen some great videos from this excursion on Youtube.)

I've also seen gold panning youtube videos & was left unimpressed - especially since my 8.5 year old has already done the "panning" for gems using a sluice. It might be ok for an hour, not several.

With all of that said, because we are doing 2 flight tours on our cruise, when we are in Juneau, we will probably go to Mendenhall (for comparison photos - last time my son was 4.5) because our last trip there was short - we did not have time to see the visitors center or take the hike that we wanted to take. (We got on the last blue bus from town & had to get on the last bus back to town, so our time was limited.) & if the weather is nice we will take the tram.

In Juneau I enjoyed walking along the Boardwalk. It is amazing what you will see in the water along there. The kids I saw there really liked seeing all the different Sea creatures stuck too the pilings and on the bottom. Also when you get closer to the Red Dog Saloon there are statues of the Coal Mine Workers and a Bronze statue of Patsy Ann. She is the legendary dog of Juneau. I talked about her in a previous post.

If you are on your cruise during the Salmon season make sure you go to Creek Street in Ketchikan. It is unbelievable how huge the Salmon are when you see them in the water standing on the bridge. The trail is a nice walk too. Also Creek Street is a interesting place on it's own to visit. Make sure you get a shot of your self standing next to the rain gage. And that is where you will see all the Eagles. Look for the golf balls in the trees. That will be the Eagles. Great Photo shots if you have a good zoom on your camera.

In all of the ports there is the same shop ( Alaska T-shirt Co ) I think, that will show on a board the name of a ship and cabin #. If that is you go the check out and show your ship card. You will win a prize. I don't know what it is, but you never know. And I never waste my time in the ports getting that free bracelet from the jewelry shops. IMO it is junk and a waste of port time. I have better things to do in the ports than that.

Have a wonderful cruise everyone. And I hope fabulous weather also.

Edited by dustyroad

When I went to Juneau in May of 2014 I booked the excursion through Carnival called best of Juneau I enjoyed it. It gives you Mendenhall Glacier, Whale watching and then a trip by boat to a lodge to eat lunch and then back to the ship. I am actually in the process of planning my second trip for Sept of this year and I am renting a car and planning on going back to Mendenhall so I have more time to do a hike and then driving around the hwy to see some of the scenic views and Eagle beach. I hope you and your family enjoy your cruise. :)

[/color

I am still undecided on what to do. Our first port is Skagway May 11th and we are booked with Chilkoot Tours for train/rail to Yukon. I know we will enjoy that. We can not afford any of the flight excursions in Juneau. I have decided not to consider gold panning. My husband isn't interested in whale watching unless I can change his mind. Since my husband is a photographer, I know he would like some places to get beautiful pictures. Our adult age children will be fine going places with pretty scenery. Wondering now if we rented a car in Juneau if we would be able to drive places with beautiful scenery???

[/color

I am still undecided on what to do. Our first port is Skagway May 11th and we are booked with Chilkoot Tours for train/rail to Yukon. I know we will enjoy that. We can not afford any of the flight excursions in Juneau. I have decided not to consider gold panning. My husband isn't interested in whale watching unless I can change his mind. Since my husband is a photographer, I know he would like some places to get beautiful pictures. Our adult age children will be fine going places with pretty scenery. Wondering now if we rented a car in Juneau if we would be able to drive places with beautiful scenery???

If your cruise is not a Tracy Arm cruise you need to book that tour through the ship that goes to Sawyer Glacier.. It is a wonderful tour. That is where you will get gorgeous photo shots. You get close to waterfalls, see a lot of wildlife and see many beautiful nature items. They supply the binoculars. If you are not going on a flight tour over the Fjords that is where you husband will get his best photo opportunities .

Or in Ketchikan my brother and his wife did the ships Rain Forest Walk through the Carnival ship and loved it. Happy cruising.

Edited by dustyroad

Renting a car in Juneau is reasonable and will save some time. The road to the Mendenhall area passes a couple of other places that might be of interest. One is Glacier Gardens which is on some tours but a lot less expensive just paying at the entrance as well as timing it to be between ship tours so less busy. It would be a wonderful subject for some unique photos and the stretch golf cart ride to the top of the hill gives some great views of the inlet below as well as gets you deep into the rainforest.

The kids might also get a kick out of DIPAC (Douglas Island Pink and Chum) salmon hatchery and the Macauley visitor center where they have "touch tanks" with interesting critters. Adult $5/Child $3 makes it pretty reasonable.

Edited by Sequim88

Renting a car in Juneau is reasonable and will save some time. The road to the Mendenhall area passes a couple of other places that might be of interest. One is Glacier Gardens which is on some tours but a lot less expensive just paying at the entrance as well as timing it to be between ship tours so less busy. It would be a wonderful subject for some unique photos and the stretch golf cart ride to the top of the hill gives some great views of the inlet below as well as gets you deep into the rainforest.

The kids might also get a kick out of DIPAC (Douglas Island Pink and Chum) salmon hatchery and the Macauley visitor center where they have "touch tanks" with interesting critters. Adult $5/Child $3 makes it pretty reasonable.

The OP is going in May and having gone to Glacier Gardens in May, it is pretty bare.

The kids are adult kids. Though, they may still enjoy that.

For those of you who have been before, what do you suggest? It is down to the Mendenhall Glacier, the gold mining excursion with Carnival going down to the mine before panning for gold, or a whale watching excursion with Harv and Marv (or do you have another suggestion for the whale watching?)

Our excursion did whale watching, then Mendenhall. They are both great, but whale watching is pretty amazing.

I do think the combination of whale watching and Mendenhall is a good combination for a first timer to Juneau. I have always enjoyed the whale watching more than Mendenhall but they are in the same area, so it is worth seeing.

I do think the combination of whale watching and Mendenhall is a good combination for a first timer to Juneau. I have always enjoyed the whale watching more than Mendenhall but they are in the same area, so it is worth seeing.

If you are coming back from Mendenhall on the Blue Bus to the ship give your self plenty of time. They run every 1/2 hr and fill up fast. It takes at least that long too get back too the dock and some times you cant get on the first one you see. Also it is nice to see Juneau for a short time if you can. I can honestly say, if you are going to see Glacier Bay, Mendenhall is going to be a let-down. But maybe that is because I have compared the 2 so many times. Have fun.

Edited by dustyroad

If your cruise is not a Tracy Arm cruise you need to book that tour through the ship that goes to Sawyer Glacier.. It is a wonderful tour. That is where you will get gorgeous photo shots. You get close to waterfalls, see a lot of wildlife and see many beautiful nature items. They supply the binoculars. If you are not going on a flight tour over the Fjords that is where you husband will get his best photo opportunities .

Or in Ketchikan my brother and his wife did the ships Rain Forest Walk through the Carnival ship and loved it. Happy cruising.

Our cruise is a Tracy Arm cruise. I hope we aren't too early in May for that. I think this past summer it was delayed because of ice.

Thanks for the info on Ketchikan. That is my next port to research.