JMHamburg and others please help with Hamburg

have you many bags? if only one or two maybe you can ask the miniatur wunderland if you can store them there for the time of your visit. they have a cloakroom but more for jackets, i don´t know if they take bags.

ask them:

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/other/email/contact/

and if yes, print the answer and take it with you, then you are safe.

if you know your time do a ticket reservation, there are days you have to wait some hours without

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/visit/ticket/

Good advice -- thanks very much!

Could someone provide some insight on Hamburg?

We are a group of 4 staying one night in Hamburg before commuting to Kiel for embarkation.

Could you recommend a hotel within walking distance to restaurants/sights?

Also, would you recommend we stay close to the airport & commute to Kiel by train or use a private shuttle? Would the train be easy to travel with luggage?

I'm thinking what I want to do just won't work, but I thought I'd give it a try to see if anyone has any ideas.

We will arrive by ship with baggage at the Altona pier around 8:00 and depart HAM at 15:40. I would like to store our bags and visit minatur wonderland if it is possible.

If we could take a taxi to minatur wonderland directly from the ship that would be good, but I expect that there will be no place near there to store our bags. So, I think the only option would be to depart the ship, walk to Altona station, store our bags there, and then take a taxi to minatur wonderland.

Then taxi back to Altona station, get our bags, and then take the S-1 to the airport. We need to be at the airport by 13:00. I am thinking this really won't be possible, unless we only want to spend 1 hour at minatur wonderland. But if anyone has an suggestions, I would be grateful.

Someone already answered your question pretty well, but in case Minaturwunderland says no, there are lockers at Altona train station, and at the main train station (Hauptbahnhof).

You could take a taxi to Altona train station and leave your bags there, then take public transport to Miniaturwunderland. But you have to backtrack afterward to pick up your bags again if you are headed to the airport. It would be better to leave your bags in Hauptbahnhof, because you are more than already halfway to the airport at that point.

A day ticket for one person for the trains/buses costs only around 6 Euro. If you have a group of 5 or more it's even cheaper. The ride from the cruise terminal to the train is a bit of a hike, I'd take a taxi for that. But from then on, I'd use a day pass for the train.

We are a group of 4 staying one night in Hamburg before commuting to Kiel for embarkation.

Also, would you recommend we stay close to the airport & commute to Kiel by train or use a private shuttle? Would the train be easy to travel with luggage?

I would take the train from the airport and stay in a hotel in the city so that you can spend some time in Hamburg. If you want to go fancy, try the Maritim, or Vier Jahreszeiten. For somewhere in the middle/cheaper, try Radisson Blu or Mercure Hamburg Mitte. They are all smack in the middle of town, and close to a train that will get you to Kiel.

It's easy to travel by train with luggage, the train ride to Kiel takes about as long as driving. You'll probably need a taxi when you arrive in Kiel. The hard part about traveling by train and taxi is that service in English is no guarantee.

Wackel, thanks for your response. I will research the hotel options you listed.

Whoops, I just realized I meant the Hotel Atlantic, not Maritim. Maritim is also a good hotel, also close to transport. But Atlantic is probably the best hotel in Hamburg, I think John Kerry stayed there for the summit that happened here not too long ago.

We are a party of seven and one does not walk well. We will go to the mini wunderland but I don't think the water ferry or any public transport is a good solution and need taxis. Are they readily available at the port. I have read conflicting info that we will be at Altona and the the new port that starts with an S.

We are open to renting a car if needed. Just struggling to find the info.

Thanks

Hi , We recently visited Hamburg and had a very informative city tour with an English speaking taxi driver who dropped us back to the ship. He is Helmut Pedarnig tel 0151 71330097

email hamburgtaxi@gmx.de

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

Would anyone know what the appox taxi fare would be between the Altona pier and the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) ?

Are there always taxi's available at Altona when there'e a cruise ship in port ?

Srpilo

JMHamburg

Many cruisers who are disembarking the Regal Princess at Steinwerder on Easter Montag (4/17/17) have concerns about how lengthy the EU immigration process will be and the the availability of taxis at the pier that morning.

I personally must get a party of 4 to the HH Hbf in time for a 09:24 train.

Should I be concerned that I have ample time?

FYI all pax (3600) will be disembarking as the Regal is going to a 2 week dry dock and not embarking new pax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Hamburg pre-cruise in July for one day. Would it be walkable from Hotel Steigenberger to Mini Wunderland and then walkable next day, again from hotel to Altona? :cool:

from Hotel to Miniatur Wunderland is walkable, do a ticket reservation, sometimes you have to wait a hour or longer without

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/visit/ticket/

https://www.elbphilharmonie.de/en/plaza

is the newest attraction and not far away from the miniatur wunderland, and there are other attractions like st. michel or st. nikolai in walking distance from your hotel. to the other site away from your hotel to the Alster ( lake ) there ist the jungfernstieg, town hall and shopping area, it is even nice there.

from the hotel to cruise center Altona is a longer walk, maybe 45 Minutes or a little longer. i can´t say if you can walk this with your luggage. you can use the metro system, with the S1 from Stadthausbrücke to Königstraße ( but there are many stairs to walk) or with the S1 to Landungsbrücken and then take the ferry Line 62 from Landungsbrücken to Dockland. You will see your ship from the River and you can make nice pictures.

What we did:

Walked out of the airport over to the Radisson Blu, rested up a bit, then walked back to the airport subway station and took the subway to the city. Bought a family ticket (4 adults) for the day. Had a look at Landungsbruecken, the Alster, the Rathaus, the Reeperbahn, all on the same subway line. Returned to the Radisson Blu, ate in their restaurant.

The following morning, had an excellent breakfast buffet in the Radisson Blu, walked over to the airport and took the Kielius Bus to Kiel. The bus dropped us off at the main railway station in Kiel where our free ship shuttle bus waited. (Mein Schiff)

JMHamburg

Many cruisers who are disembarking the Regal Princess at Steinwerder on Easter Montag (4/17/17) have concerns about how lengthy the EU immigration process will be and the the availability of taxis at the pier that morning.

I personally must get a party of 4 to the HH Hbf in time for a 09:24 train.

FYI all pax (3600) will be disembarking as the Regal is going to a 2 week dry dock and not embarking new pax.

I think that is very tight, probably too tight, but traffic will be light due to the holiday.

When is the ship supposed to be in port? Will you take your luggage off yourself? Steinwerder is really way out. I don't know about taxis, haven't been there yet. Our cruise is in July.

You could prearrange a limousine. We used Blacklane in three different places (Orlando, Auckland, Hong Kong) and they were always on time. Our ship's concierge confirmed that they are very reliable. It is a German company working internationally. We will use them again.

In Hamburg pre-cruise in July for one day. Would it be walkable from Hotel Steigenberger to Mini Wunderland and then walkable next day, again from hotel to Altona? :cool:

I know Canadians like to walk. :) I would take the really 'easy to use' subway.

MiniWunderland is walkable, but Altona? Do you mean the cruise port with luggage? It's too far.

I think that is very tight, probably too tight, but traffic will be light due to the holiday.

When is the ship supposed to be in port? Will you take your luggage off yourself? Steinwerder is really way out. I don't know about taxis, haven't been there yet. Our cruise is in July.

You could prearrange a limousine. We used Blacklane in three different places (Orlando, Auckland, Hong Kong) and they were always on time. Our ship's concierge confirmed that they are very reliable. It is a German company working internationally. We will use them again.

Ship is to dock at 0500. Should be able to walk off with luggage shortly after 0700. Approx 15 min taxi ride to Hbf and, yes, traffic should be light, holiday morning

It's absolutely not predictable! So many things can happen. Low tide is predicted to be at ~ 4am, high tide at ~ 9am; thus, I'm wondering about an arrival time of 5am for such a big vessel? Immigration to Schengen is still not like to USA or UK, but a train at around 9am is really ambitious. No time for a last breakfast on board?

Steff79 and Floridiana:

Thanks. We will definitely walk to Wunderland and about town. I think we might consider a taxi to cruise port though, with luggage in tow of course. Might as well make life as easy as possible.

We will be on the Jade out of Southampton in June, docked at Altona for one day as a port stop. Looking at a map, it appears to be about a half hour walk (one way) along the river to Minatur Wunderland? Can someone tell me if I am correct in assuming we can walk? We are fit and will not have luggage. Thank you!

We will be on the Jade out of Southampton in June, docked at Altona for one day as a port stop. Looking at a map, it appears to be about a half hour walk (one way) along the river to Minatur Wunderland? Can someone tell me if I am correct in assuming we can walk? We are fit and will not have luggage. Thank you!

yes you can walk, it ´s a nice walk

Yes, of course you can walk, it's about 4 km's = you better plan 1 hour of walking per route. The Area is mostly not so nice to look at. You can also take the harbor ferry to Landungsbrucken and from there to Elbphilharmonie, this is very scenic, and the ferry pier is right around the corner at the Altona Cruise Terminal; ticket €2.20 one way.