For all of the Hawaii experts

jakesnana

We will be cruising Hawaii in about 7 weeks. We have rented a car on Maui, Hilo and Kauai and I was just trying to determine if my goals are realistic.

1. In Maui we plan on driving the Hana Hwy. and driving it clockwise (I have read that this is the safest bet). I have the book "Maui Revealed" which has a lot of helpful hints, but it doesn't state WHERE I can find rainbow eucalyptus trees. We are trying to find a spot where we could park and get some pictures. I have always been fascinated by pictures of them. Any suggestions?

2. In Hilo we plan on going to VNP and driving the rim and then going back through Hilo to Akaka Falls. We would also like to see Rainbow Falls, but I don't know where they are in relation to the other 2 places. How do we get to Rainbow Falls and can we do all 3 in the 6 hours we are there?

TIA for your help.

We will be cruising Hawaii in about 7 weeks. We have rented a car on Maui, Hilo and Kauai and I was just trying to determine if my goals are realistic.

1. In Maui we plan on driving the Hana Hwy. and driving it clockwise (I have read that this is the safest bet). I have the book "Maui Revealed" which has a lot of helpful hints, but it doesn't state WHERE I can find rainbow eucalyptus trees. We are trying to find a spot where we could park and get some pictures. I have always been fascinated by pictures of them. Any suggestions?

TIA for your help.

Look for the Painted Grove between mile marker 6 and 7 (approximately 6.7). If you stop on your way toward Hana, there will be a small pull-in on your right hand side. We stopped both on the way to Hana and on the way back - the light in the morning was so bright that the contrast in the colours on the trees didn't show up nearly as well as they did later in the day when the sun was less intense. At this stop the trees are down a bank off the highway, so its not really possible to wander among the trees here. You might want to stop at the Ke'anae Arboretum (MM 16.7) which might give you a better view.

Look for the Painted Grove between mile marker 6 and 7 (approximately 6.7). If you stop on your way toward Hana, there will be a small pull-in on your right hand side. We stopped both on the way to Hana and on the way back - the light in the morning was so bright that the contrast in the colours on the trees didn't show up nearly as well as they did later in the day when the sun was less intense. At this stop the trees are down a bank off the highway, so its not really possible to wander among the trees here. You might want to stop at the Ke'anae Arboretum (MM 16.7) which might give you a better view.

You said you stopped on the way to Hana and back, didn't you drive all the way around? I thought that was the point of doing it. I didn't realize that there was a point where you stopped and went back the same way you came.

When visiting VNP last month, the road that circles the Kilauea caldera is closed due to activity at Halema'uma'u crater.

The road is closed from just past the observatory to Devastation Trail (1 mile section is open to foot & bike traffic. Years ago we hiked across the caldera from Volcano House hotel on the Halema'uma'u Trail which is currently closed. This map shows the closures & areas that are currently open.

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Here is some information if you're considering driving completely around the isolated southern end of Maui. I've driven it a couple of times in my car but probably wouldn't do it in a rental car. It's probably a violation of the rental contract & could take a long time for help if anything goes wrong. It's barren landscape without any good beaches that I've discovered and is mostly graded dirt or potmarked asphalt roadway.

Once I drove counterclockwise from Upcountry to Hana after going to Haleakala summit for sunrise. The advantage was returning to Central Maui while nearly everyone else was driving the other direction to Hana. Going clockwise went with everyone else until past Kipahulu where few cars ventured.

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Hana-Hwy.htm

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Hana-Hwy-page2.htm

Links to Maui road information with closures along the RTH & the southern route not unusual.

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/roadwork/maui/

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/Directory/Home/DepartmentListing?DID=191

Edited by Astro Flyer

You said you stopped on the way to Hana and back, didn't you drive all the way around? I thought that was the point of doing it. I didn't realize that there was a point where you stopped and went back the same way you came.

Most people drive roundtrip with few doing the circular route. The point of the RTH is stopping along the way to explore the rainforest beauty of the area something the barren southern route through Kaupo doesn't offer.

Most people turn back at Ohe'o Gulch in Kipahulu (fee to park because it's part of Haleakala NP but is included in the Haleakala fee) or at Lindbergh's grave at Palapapa Ho'omanu Church just past mileage marker 41.

Yes, this is why we turned around once we reached Ohe'o Gulch. As Astro Flyer pointed out, driving any further may have voided our rental car agreement, so after much research, this was a risk were didn't want to take.

Yes, this is why we turned around once we reached Ohe'o Gulch. As Astro Flyer pointed out, driving any further may have voided our rental car agreement, so after much research, this was a risk were didn't want to take.

It's been awhile since I drove the southern end but cellular phone service was unreliable & is another reason to not risk driving a rental car.

Even if something happened in my car I could be waiting for an expensive tow or paramedics to arrive...I drove it twice but wouldn't do it again even when friends visit me here in Maui.

Astro Flyer and edmonton2, thanks so much for the information, it will certainly help.

After much research and reading, it appears the best place to see rainbow eucalyptus is going to be the arboretum at MM 16 1/2. Does that seem correct to you? Thanks for the info on VNP. Do either of you know where I will find Rainbow Falls in Hilo?

Do you like dirt rough roads with nothing to see? If so go for the full circle. Did it and never again, waste of time.

This year I went to Hana ate lunch and started back about 2:30 and on the way back no one was parked at all the falls. Stopped and took picture with no one around. In the morning going could not find a place to pack so just saw the falls from the windows as we passed.

Astro Flyer and edmonton2, thanks so much for the information, it will certainly help.

After much research and reading, it appears the best place to see rainbow eucalyptus is going to be the arboretum at MM 16 1/2. Does that seem correct to you? Thanks for the info on VNP. Do either of you know where I will find Rainbow Falls in Hilo?

We visited Rainbow Falls in Hilo a few years ago. A quick search and I found these directions: Take Waianuenue Avenue (one of the main roads in downtown Hilo that connects to Highway 19) west for just over a mile and a half from downtown. Follow the sign for the falls and turn right onto Rainbow Drive. You'll see the park on your right with a large parking area. If you get to the Hilo Medical Center, you missed the turn. Here's a link with a map: https://www.lovebigisland.com/hilo/rainbow-falls/

And don't forget to watch for the eucalyptus trees at MM 6.7 on the Hana Hwy - even though you can't really walk through this forest area easily, you will still see them :)

This year I went to Hana ate lunch and started back about 2:30 and on the way back no one was parked at all the falls. Stopped and took picture with no one around. In the morning going could not find a place to pack so just saw the falls from the windows as we passed.

To avoid crowds, I agree it's a good idea to drive directly to Hana & to make stops on the way back.

Another recommendation is to go early on weekends because those are the days when most visitors are arriving or returning home. Thus generally there are less crowds along the RTH when it's more locals than visitors.

So if in port on the weekend, or on a land tour, that should be the least crowded days to explore the RTH.

Will you be spending any time on Oahu? If so, there are plenty of the rainbow trees here, and one of the easiest places to see them is in the parking lot of the Dole Plantation. Just another option for you.

Will you be spending any time on Oahu? If so, there are plenty of the rainbow trees here, and one of the easiest places to see them is in the parking lot of the Dole Plantation. Just another option for you.

We will be in Honolulu for 3 days prior to the cruise and we will have a car. If we go to the Dole Plantation would we be able to walk among the trees or just see them from a distance? Thanks for your help.

We will be in Honolulu for 3 days prior to the cruise and we will have a car. If we go to the Dole Plantation would we be able to walk among the trees or just see them from a distance? Thanks for your help.

Yes, you can walk up to them. Just park in the Dole parking lot (free parking) and walk around.

Although the Dole Plantation is a bit "touristy," we still enjoy stopping there. The gift shop is filled with pineapple theme items - we shared a huge bowl of pineapple whip, then took the train ride around the plantation. The train offers veterans and military discounted prices along with companion prices.

The week were on Oahu, there were huge waves along the north shore, so we drove there, after Dole, stopped at Turtle Bay and returned on an alternate route. I have Verizon and never had an issue with coverage on the island.

Darcy

Although the Dole Plantation is a bit "touristy," we still enjoy stopping there. The gift shop is filled with pineapple theme items - we shared a huge bowl of pineapple whip, then took the train ride around the plantation. The train offers veterans and military discounted prices along with companion prices.

The week were on Oahu, there were huge waves along the north shore, so we drove there, after Dole, stopped at Turtle Bay and returned on an alternate route. I have Verizon and never had an issue with coverage on the island.

Darcy

Thanks Darcy, we were planning on driving to the north end of the island on either Sunday or Monday so this will work out quite nicely if we can stop at Dole on the way. My DH and I are both Veterans, so that's nice to know about the discount.

Thanks Darcy, we were planning on driving to the north end of the island on either Sunday or Monday so this will work out quite nicely if we can stop at Dole on the way. My DH and I are both Veterans, so that's nice to know about the discount.

Bev - FYI, Since Hawaii has had such a strong military presence, many venues offer discounted rates. I recall DH asking everywhere we went and received either free or minimal rates.

Darcy