NCL Sun to be decommissioned

buddy1755

If I log into myNCL account and try to look for my reservation. ("Sun" June 25th 2018), it is now changed to "Default itinerary Name"

If i try to go into Vacation Summary it comes back with server error message. And if I click in look for reservations, it now lists the Jewel as the ship.

I wonder how and when the cabins will be assigned.

Late yesterday and again just now, both of our reservations on the Sun (B2B in 2019) are still showing as Sun, with all information same as before.

I wonder *when* they are planning to tell us...

... and just what suite they are planning to switch us to, given there is no similar suite on the Jewel (or any other ship).

It's the LACK OF INFORMATION and notification that is beyond annoying.

If they know where the ship is going (and hopefully they do!), then why not tell EVERYONE who is already booked?

:mad::mad: (from both of us!)

Late yesterday and again just now, both of our reservations on the Sun (B2B in 2019) are still showing as Sun, with all information same as before.

I wonder *when* they are planning to tell us...

... and just what suite they are planning to switch us to, given there is no similar suite on the Jewel (or any other ship).

It's the LACK OF INFORMATION and notification that is beyond annoying.

If they know where the ship is going (and hopefully they do!), then why not tell EVERYONE who is already booked?

:mad::mad: (from both of us!)

Same here - my reservation still shows same cabin on Sun for February 2019. It's far in the future, but I'm worried Jewel will go somewhere in the Far East or Australia after doing the Alaska's and the South America's will get scrapped.

I'll email my TA and see if she knows anything.

I am currently booked on the Sun for April 2018 Alaska. Is this going to be her last cruise? Is the ship in bad condition? I thought it had a recent refurbishment so I wasnt too worried about the condition but with this news I starting to worry.

At this point, there is no news. Just a rumor with no basis so far.

This just in from NCL:

"...this change is only for the Norwegian Sun reservations between the dates of 5/26/2018 - 9/10/18. All future cruises aboard the Norwegian Sun will have no change..."

This just in from NCL:

"...this change is only for the Norwegian Sun reservations between the dates of 5/26/2018 - 9/10/18. All future cruises aboard the Norwegian Sun will have no change..."

Ok thats good to know. We are not effected then

We were booked on the Sun 5/28/18, 9 days to Alaska. Just checked our booking on the NCL web site and discovered we are now on the Jewel and assigned a cabin. Will have to give this some thought before we decide if this is what we expected for our first Alaskan cruise.

The Sun was one of our favorite NCL ships and hate to see it go and the Jewel is a new one for us..

We were booked on the Sun 5/28/18, 9 days to Alaska. Just checked our booking on the NCL web site and discovered we are now on the Jewel and assigned a cabin. Will have to give this some thought before we decide if this is what we expected for our first Alaskan cruise.

The Sun was one of our favorite NCL ships and hate to see it go and the Jewel is a new one for us..

And you received no specific notice from NCL about the switcheroo?

I don't have a problem IF they need to switch ships.

However, I have a HUGE problem with them not making that explicitly clear to all who are affected, and give them some options.

Having them wait until... when... (??) for a "SURPRISE!!!!" is not a good way to do business, to put it mildly.

(Well, okay, if the "Surprise!" is to give everyone an unexpected OBC for no specific reason, sure. But this ain't that...!)

:(

I'm rather picky and have sailed on a few ships over the years that I would never sail on again (can you say Epic?). But, I've been on both the Jewel and the Sun and loved them both. The Jewel is obviously slightly larger, but the only thing I can think of that was significantly different was that the Jewel had a far superior buffet. Both have that nice big observation lounge (Spinnaker on Jewel) which is perfect for sightseeing when you get too cold out on deck.

I'm rather picky and have sailed on a few ships over the years that I would never sail on again (can you say Epic?). But, I've been on both the Jewel and the Sun and loved them both. The Jewel is obviously slightly larger, but the only thing I can think of that was significantly different was that the Jewel had a far superior buffet. Both have that nice big observation lounge (Spinnaker on Jewel) which is perfect for sightseeing when you get too cold out on deck.

OMG I am booked on the Sun next July for a land/sea tour in Alaska.

Now I have to search new deck plans and get my room squared away.

Will they move cabin to same location?

Thanks

Kerri

Any other better things about the Jewel than sun?

No warning and no notice. Found the change by mistake. Checked the messages NCL has for our cruise after I logged into the NCL site and there were three. All three were in regards to selling drinks, gifts and shore excursions. Not one word about the change. Then I just happened to notice over on the far right side a small info block that told me I am on the Jewel, 5/26/2018 and our new cabin number. Surprise, surprise.

No warning and no notice. Found the change by mistake. Checked the messages NCL has for our cruise after I logged into the NCL site and there were three. All three were in regards to selling drinks, gifts and shore excursions. Not one word about the change. Then I just happened to notice over on the far right side a small info block that told me I am on the Jewel, 5/26/2018 and our new cabin number. Surprise, surprise.

I can't even see my cabin number. Says default itinerary....then says Oops when I click on it:mad:

Funny showing aft cabins avail now and last week they were not. Is there more aft regular balcony cabins on Jewel?

Kerri

I can't even see my cabin number. Says default itinerary....then says Oops when I click on it:mad:

Funny showing aft cabins avail now and last week they were not. Is there more aft regular balcony cabins on Jewel?

Kerri

If you are in the time frame, you might want to be pro-active and call NCL to see if what cabins are available, before they all get re-assigned (or requested by others calling).

Not a good way for NCL to handle this at all.

(But then... it's NCL, alas... when the cancelled two other cruises of ours about 2 years ago, they offered us puny discounts for two SPECIFIC alternative dates when we couldn't possibly do that... holiday sailings switched to regular late winter. We went on a holiday Oceania cruise instead. Of course, that's now the same umbrella company...)

Look!

https://www.ncl.com/vacations/alaska-cruises-jun-2018-?destinations=4294961386&sailmonths=4294953377

NCL is still showing a June, 2018 sailing in Alaska, for the Sun.

... as of about two minutes ago.

Huh!??

Edit to add: And I was able to select a suite (one that doesn't exist on the Jewel).

Nice.

The Sun will not be decommissioned. It might be removed from the fleet and sold but that ship has another 30 years of life, and even then, it won't be decommissioned as that is a term of art that applies to Navy ships which were commissioned on launching.

Just tried a mock booking on the NCL site, Sun, Alaska, 9 days in May. My original cabin is available. Hope I like my new roomy:*.

Then I tried to book my new ship the Jewel.....does not exist:eek:.

I'm not to sure I really want to have a new cabin mate (Bev is going to be darn mad if we have to sleep 3 to a bed).

And them, sailing on a Fathom Ship is not on my to do list.

Alas. The Sun is my favorite. I cruised in 9076 the corner aft PH with large balcony twice. A total of 25 nights of heaven. Il Adagio. Ah. Memories.

Our first ever cruise was on the Sun and 9076 was our first cabin. In retrospect, that was probably a mistake since no stateroom since has been as good. The layout of that room was perfect and the balcony was enormous.

Jim

If you are in the time frame, you might want to be pro-active and call NCL to see if what cabins are available, before they all get re-assigned (or requested by others calling).

Not a good way for NCL to handle this at all.

(But then... it's NCL, alas... when the cancelled two other cruises of ours about 2 years ago, they offered us puny discounts for two SPECIFIC alternative dates when we couldn't possibly do that... holiday sailings switched to regular late winter. We went on a holiday Oceania cruise instead. Of course, that's now the same umbrella company...)

Yes I will be calling them on the way home from work.

I don't like total Aft cabins generally......I usually book Port side Aft. Few cabins aft of "aft" elevators.

With Alaska I might switch if available.

Have you stayed Total Aft and are you an "aft lover" LOL

Kerri

Interesting, I was just about to book the Sun for a 7 day Alaska, Glacier Bay cruise in June 2018. I still can book that cruise but maybe I should wait and see what happens with the Jewel. But who knows how long it could be before NCL updates their booking system.

I've never been on the Jewel or the Sun but I've been on the Gem and I liked it. I was disappointed by what the spa looked like in pictures on the Sun, it seems the Jewel has a better spa so that is good. Either way I don't really care which ship it is, I just want to get a cabin in the location I like and I don't want to be moved around by NCL.

Interesting, I was just about to book the Sun for a 7 day Alaska, Glacier Bay cruise in June 2018. I still can book that cruise but maybe I should wait and see what happens with the Jewel. But who knows how long it could be before NCL updates their booking system.

I've never been on the Jewel or the Sun but I've been on the Gem and I liked it. I was disappointed by what the spa looked like in pictures on the Sun, it seems the Jewel has a better spa so that is good. Either way I don't really care which ship it is, I just want to get a cabin in the location I like and I don't want to be moved around by NCL.

Exactly. I am on a one way sailing from Seward. I want my cabin sandwiched between cabins. I have to have PORT side for this one way sailing(my fav anyway).

I haven't sailed Jewel or Sun so shouldn't matter. Spa better nice!!

I was psyching myself up for the Sun though LOL

Hopefully I don't have to wait on hold with NCL later during my whole commute home.

In fact I should probably wait till I get home so I can look at deck plans simultaneously.

Kerri

Kerri

This just in from NCL:

So much for the decommissioned fake news. Very glad Sun will be around well into 2019. Love this smaller ship.

So much for the decommissioned fake news. Very glad Sun will be around well into 2019. Love this smaller ship.

I'm still trying to find out what in the world the Sun will be "doing" during those months. It's too long for a regular refurb (unless they are planning to polish every little nut and bolt!).

Also, it seems there are still some sailings posted for June, 2018, but I'm not sure if those are mistakes (should have been removed from active sailings) or if those are really happening.

Anyone have any info about where our little favorite Sun will be heading for summer break? :)

After reading this, I just called my PCC, and yes, our reservation for May 2018 has been changed from the Sun to the Jewel.

She told me the rooms our party of 3 cabins has been assigned, and referenced a letter. I told her I had not yet received the letter, just read it here on Cruise Critic. I looked at changing to the equivalent deck I had been on on the Sun, but the room configuration we had previously reserved was not available on the Jewel, so we kept our reservations where they were. We will probably be the same height above the ocean, just on a lower floor than on the smaller Sun. No change in fees or amenities.

So I guess it is true.

I'm not bothered by the change, as I really did want a spa pass, and the Sun doesn't have a spa, but the Jewel does so we will be able to get a pass! That and both ships have the front Observation Lounge, which is what I liked so much about the Sun, so all is good as far as I'm concerned.

I hope you all go ahead and call your PCC to assure that your reservation is still in place, and that you are happy with the cabin location!

Alas. The Sun is my favorite. I cruised in 9076 the corner aft PH with large balcony twice. A total of 25 nights of heaven. Il Adagio. Ah. Memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a great 14 days in 9076 last year. Glad to hear the headline is not the whole story.

Stephen