Bringing wine on board policy to change???

NanaBnana

Boarding Westerdam today, just informed that soon they will only allow one bottle of wine per person brought on board. This is disappointing to us as we bring on different vintages than HAL offers. Just another cutback that lowers our cruise experience.

Boarding Westerdam today, just informed that soon they will only allow one bottle of wine per person brought on board. This is disappointing to us as we bring on different vintages than HAL offers. Just another cutback that lowers our cruise experience.

what:eek: who did you hear this from please:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Boarding Westerdam today, just informed that soon they will only allow one bottle of wine per person brought on board.
But will you still be able to bring on 1 bottle per person at every port? If so, such a change won't affect us at all.

It was one of the HAL officers but we will confirm with Hot Man or Beverage Mgr when we get on board and will post what we find out. We are cruising again in May and had arranged a winery tour around Seatlle before boarding with the intent of bringing on board what we tasted.

It was one of the HAL officers but we will confirm with Hot Man or Beverage Mgr when we get on board and will post what we find out. We are cruising again in May and had arranged a winery tour around Seatlle before boarding with the intent of bringing on board what we tasted.

Total Wines in FLL will go out of business if this is the case! :eek:

thanks so much - we are cruising in May too and with a transatlantic - there are no ports to pick up a bottle per port. Plus when we get to France, I had hoped to be able to bring on some nice European wines:eek:

I am hoping the officer was wrong or joking:rolleyes: yeah right:rolleyes:

LOL, that is our first stop come April, before boarding the Zuiderdam.

Hope this is a mistake as we are planning on bringing a few bottles.

I imagine they must do a very nice business there in FLL due to the cruise business.

Hate to say it -- but it won't bother us as we do not take any wine on board the ships.

We don't overdo it ourselves and usually only bring 1 or 2 bottles, so we would hardly be directly impacted either. What I find sad about this, though, should it become policy, is seeing another small thing that makes HAL different disappear.

Princess, fwiw, has changed their policy to one 750ml bottle then a $15 fee for every additional 750ml bottle.

From this thread:

Luggage Tag: Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy: one 750ml bottle of wine or Champagne per adult; Additional wine & Champagne bottles are welcome for a $15 corkage fee each, per voyage; other liquors, spirits or beers are prohibited; luggage is subject to search.

Boarding Pass: Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder, adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, IRRESPECTIVE of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

Just got off the Eurodam and that certainly would be a DAM shame! It's actually one of the perks we enjoy that differentiates HAL. We buy glasses of wine in the dining room and happy hour drinks but enjoyed that wine on the balcony.....so.. it would make us look twice at the other lines if they are equalizing the allowances.

I think this was a policy lesser used. We got STUNNED looks when we walked aboard with a few bottles in a carrier bag made for wine. At the sitdown welcome lunch while we waited for the cabins to be available, the waiters took our carryon to a quiet spot in the dining room but later sat people at the table next to our luggage. I saw my bottles being waved in the air in amazement. When finished eating, I went over and teased the gentleman who'd been checking out our wine that I saw him trying to take a sip and he questioned me about my openly smuggling them aboard. He was a seasoned HAL cruiser and had no idea that you could bring wine on board!

From further dinner discussions, it was obvious that many depended on booking with an agent and never researched their holidays..shame on them for not joining an informative website!

HAL! PLEASE reconsider if this rumour is true!

I doubt this will happen soon, they will loose many customers if they do including me. Also if you read the Princess boards they do not seem to enforce there wine limit. Just had very tempting offer from RCCL that included unlimited drinks on a trans-alantic crossing.

This post made me wonder why they would allow wine but not beer? Does anyone know why that would would be?

I don't drink at all, but my husband has made it it his duty in life as I drag him around the world to taste a beer in every port. He's doing pretty good too.... :-)

He's often said it would be nice to be able to bring aboard an extra or two of the ones he tries & really likes.

This is important to know. Were planning on bringing several bottles. Happy to pay a corkage fee. Who can we verify with prior to a March sailing? I would hate to schlep the wine suitcase and have it confiscated at port.

If you are referring to the post above yours, remember that is the policy on Princess, not HAL. Currently, HAL allows passengers to bring on all the wine they wish. You pay a corkage fee for drinking it in public areas (outside your cabin and verandah). I'd simply watch these boards and HALs website to determine actual changes to the policy, if they ever occur, and effective dates.

Lynda, they allow beer. We brought a six pack on board from San Juan. Also mixers... so we brought a few to go with the bottle of rye which we ordered delivered to the cabin. As Canadians, we found the price of rye reasonable at HAL's prices.

They do not allow it ... You got lucky!

I doubt this will happen soon, they will loose many customers if they do including me. Also if you read the Princess boards they do not seem to enforce there wine limit. Just had very tempting offer from RCCL that included unlimited drinks on a trans-alantic crossing.

It seems to me that is changing on Princess. They are now printing the one bottle rule on the boarding pass. It remains to be seen if they enforce it. Just wondering where you'll go for a more liberal policy.

Lynda, they allow beer. We brought a six pack on board from San Juan. Also mixers... so we brought a few to go with the bottle of rye which we ordered delivered to the cabin. As Canadians, we found the price of rye reasonable at HAL's prices.

HAL policy does not allow beer. Sure you might get away with it, but it is prohibitory against HAL policy.

While in many cases bringing beer and such is overlooked, HALs policy states that it will be confiscated and returned on the last day of the cruise.

So, yes, you are allowed to bring just about any alcohol on board and there are many instances where people have brought something other than wine and champagne on board and not had a problem, but you should be aware of HALs policy.

OH! You are so right, 0bnxshs! I just checked the policy and not sure why we thought you could bring beer or we wouldn't have bothered. We certainly didn't hide anything so I guess we were the lucky ones. I know that coming on from St. Thomas, we saw many duty free liquor boxes on the sidelines on re-embarkation, being taken for storage til cruise end.

Note, another reasonable and mature decision by HAL as they store for you, unlike the Princess policy I read which reads if liquor is found while scanning your luggage, they will confiscate and discard!

Archived