Should HAL ships have WEB CAMS?

dippy

Should HAL Ships have Web Cams?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Should HAL Ships have Web Cams?

Should HAL begin using web cams on their ships?

I find web cams on ships very facinating.

My vote is for web cams on HAL ships :)

Let's hope that the results from this poll, no matter what the outcome, are heard by the HAL executives who visit this site.

I agree that they should be on the ships. I have been on the Princess lines several times and enjoy going to their site on a daily basis and seeing what ports they are at. HAL is missing out on a good thing by not using webcams.

Ray

I may be missing something but ship webcams seldom show anything other than the ocean, the ship docked (and let's face it, most areas are very similar) at whatever Port or a fuzzy view of approaching land. What really is the attraction??

I didn't vote.

I voted yes. I think it would be nice to check out these from time to time. They already have the bow and stern cameras that you can see on the cabin TV. It wouldn't take much to send those feeds to the server in the internet center.

we knew that the celebrity galaxy had web cams so we told our friends to "tune in" at a particular time and we were in front of the cam at that time and they saw us and then when we got back home we went into the cam archives and printed out a pix of ourselves on said cam

Depends where they put em. >>

on the galaxy one was in the computer lab and the other was outside looking down the prom deck ---you saw deck and water --if the ship berthed on the "correct side" you could also see some of the shoreline

All they would have to do is run the video feed from the fore and aft cameras into the data-stream uplink from the ship to a HAL server. 1 frame from the video feed every minute would be sufficient. Add to that, put a camera overlooking the Lido Deck pool and another overlooking the aft deck pool, then rotate once a minute through all the camera shots -- forward camera, Lido deck camera, aft deck camera, aft camera, then back to forward. Change it very minute with the latest frame.

Or ... and here we get more ambitious ... in addition to the above, why don't they run the video feed from several of the ship's security cameras into the internet uplink? They could set it up like those "Big Brother" wired houses. There could be a webcam feed from a camera in every Lounge, a couple of feeds from the main dining room, a couple from the Lido Resturant, one from the Pinnacle Grill, one from the Atrium. Then, one could click -- at will -- through to the lounge or site one wanted to look at, and then watch for our friends in the various lounges!!! :) Imagine ... watching for Tom in the dining room, or at his spot in the Lido? Watching for S7S in the Piano Bar, or Ruth, or me! ;)

HAL could have a page for every ship ... with 10 or so camera angles from each ship that we could select on-demand. They could also have a world-map display show where the ship is at any given moment, with a "report from the bridge" running at the bottom of it. That wouldn't be hard ... just take it from the feed going to every cabin. :D

Yeah ... how does THAT sound??

<<<Yeah ... how does THAT sound??>>>

revneal ------------very very ambitious

galaxy consists of 2 fixed cams

speaking of cams-- going to maui in oct and there are 2 cam sites that let you queue up to operate them and you can pan from the pool to the beach -- its in what seems to be 5 second delay so you can watch someone dive into the pool and swim or watch people walk on the beach or you can follow the surfers-- lots of fun----------truly doubt that hal or any cruise line would be so ambitious

...would they be pay-per-view?

Those cams that overlook the aft balcony cabins will be pay-per-view. Those that are situated in the cabins of the ship's cast will be premium subscription. (evil grin)

Imagine ... watching for Tom in the dining room, or at his spot in the Lido? Watching for S7S in the Piano Bar, or Ruth, or me! ;)

Yeah ... how does THAT sound??

A-hem. Doesn't sound all that good to me!

What RuthC does in the Piano Bar, stays in the Piano Bar.

K? :D

This is my first posting on this forum, I just joined 5 minutes ago. HOWDY ALL.

I will be sailing on the Zaandam, Inside Passage, in September. Since HAL doesn't have a webcam to view, I have been visiting the Crystal live webcam almost everyday to see where the Harmony is heading. It's so exciting when I actually see it sailing along the glaciers. I love to get a sneak preview of the places that I am going to be, even if it maight only be the port.

FYI, I found a wonderful set of Alaska webcams that are located in Juneau. The link is http://www.mickle-ak.com/aroundtown.php. Hope you enjoy.

I think the web cams are neat. True, many times there's just water, but sometimes.... Recently I was watching the sunset off the coast of Mexico as the colors changed--that was fun. I also saw the coast of Greece...from one of the Celebrity ships. :)

YES...DEFINITELY YES!

To the bow cam at least...I'd like to see the aft cam view too, but if we can only get one...the bow would be best!

Debjo

Archived