whales

bluemug

Going to Iceland on Adonia in July. What is the chance of seeing whales. If we do see whales will they be rounded up, tortured and slaughtered by the Faroese as they did on 6th june this year (150 pilot whales killed in the grindadrap) on Vagar island. maybe I should stay on board and not support the Faroe islands economy.

Seeing whales very much depends how patient you are. We saw dolphins and killer whales, but like birdspotting you may need to put the hours in.

If you are concerned about supporting the Faroese economy you should maybe not have booked the cruise at all. However once you have been and spoken to the locals you may have a better understanding of what it takes to survive living there. For somewhere only a few hundred miles from the UK it may as well be a different planet.

Edited by Thejuggler

We saw two whales sailing away from Akureyri, Iceland on the Eclipse in July. Luckily the Captain announced them and they followed the ship alongside for a few minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When we sailed from Akureyri to Norway we saw loads of Whales and stayed up on top deck until 2am in the morning. Of course this was in June so still daylight. The area north of Iceland from Akureyri towards Norway is a well known and popular area for seeing whales.

Seeing whales very much depends how patient you are. We saw dolphins and killer whales, but like birdspotting you may need to put the hours in.

If you are concerned about supporting the Faroese economy you should maybe not have booked the cruise at all. However once you have been and spoken to the locals you may have a better understanding of what it takes to survive living there. For somewhere only a few hundred miles from the UK it may as well be a different planet.

It wasn't until after we had booked the cruise to Iceland, that we recieved the letter from SEA SHEPHERD that brought to light the terrible behavour of the faroe Islanders. Did you know they encourage their children to take part in the slaughter of the whales. It does,t matter where you live on the planet, cruelty is still cruelty and should not be condoned

Saw some whales on the way back from north cape, they were a pod of Orca feeding on one of those bait balls of small fish. We sailed past them about 100 yards away, brilliant :):):)

It was about 11.45pm so most of the ship missed it.

Saw some on the way to the canaries as well :)

One of the reasons that my wife and I have booked the Iceland cruise for next year is for the possibility of seeing whales. We've both seen dolphins and even been surprised by a few dolphin chasing a school of fish through us as we were scuba diving in Egypt. Mind you, I think the dolphin were more surprised than we were.

As for the Faroe islanders? My wife would be horrified whereas, and although I disagree with the ritual I also respect that other cultures have different practices, many of which are barbaric in our culture.

I have seen many whales both in northern waters as well as the Med. Certainly saw humpbacks in late July around Iceland/Greenland BUT as others have said you need to put the hours in just gazing and watching the ocean - which is something I like to do anyway. By the time others have shouted whale - and you get to the side it may be gone!

I have to say that seeing these majestic and beautiful creatures is magical.

DSC_0507.JPG

DSC_1042.JPG

Edited by Host Sharon

It wasn't until after we had booked the cruise to Iceland, that we recieved the letter from SEA SHEPHERD that brought to light the terrible behavour of the faroe Islanders. Did you know they encourage their children to take part in the slaughter of the whales. It does,t matter where you live on the planet, cruelty is still cruelty and should not be condoned

Be aware that the Faroe Islands aren't the only places that eat meat or fish. I myself ate a slaughtered cod for my tea today, and that was killed (so far as I know) by a British ship. Also I know of anglers who have taught their children to fish as well.

Are you equally concerned about all sea creatures, or is it only whales? Because the Icelanders also have a bit of a reputation about killing marine life. Perhaps you should cancel the cruise? :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
I can only imagine how amazing it would be to see Orcas from your ship. It's on on my "bucketlist" to see orcas and great whites in their natural habitat.

Have seen plenty other types of Whales on cruises but alas never an Orca

Coming back from kristiansund last year we encountered really thick fog. Ships whistle was sounding and then the captain announced that there were whales ahead of us. needless to say all passengers started peering ahead of the boat but of course nothing was spotted. What a wonderful wheeze by the captain to get 800 or so pairs of eyes keeping watch ahead.

Are you suggesting that P&O passed your contact details to that bunch of misguided souls or was your contact details obtained by some other means?

Are you suggesting that P&O passed your contact details to that bunch of misguided souls or was your contact details obtained by some other means?

We are going to Iceland and the Faroe Islands and had no such e-mail from Sea Shepherd so I don't think it would be P&O.

Maybe it was so site they stumbled across when looking for information about the cruise destinations.

I can only imagine how amazing it would be to see Orcas from your ship. It's on on my "bucketlist" to see orcas and great whites in their natural habitat.

Have seen plenty other types of Whales on cruises but alas never an Orca

Just six of us were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time last January in Antarctica. They were always on my bucket list too and never expected to see them - so beautiful and such speed - amazing!

2108%252520Orca.JPG

People who object to the mass inhumane slaughter of beautiful mammals aren't really misguided souls are they.... Read up about "The Cove".

People who object to the mass inhumane slaughter of beautiful mammals aren't really misguided souls are they.... Read up about "The Cove".

No sane person condones or supports inhumane slaughter of any animal/fish/bird or large mammal even if carried out by native tribes or communities in order to survive. However the barnpots associated with that organisation that I recently saw in a TV documentary really are more than slightly weird.

No sane person condones or supports inhumane slaughter of any animal/fish/bird or large mammal even if carried out by native tribes or communities in order to survive. However the barnpots associated with that organisation that I recently saw in a TV documentary really are more than slightly weird.

They are mainly hippies, but they mean well! ;-)

The "barnpots" as you put them have been judged by the International Commission on Cetation preservation are in the right and that Japan and other nations must stop killing whales immediately. If it were not for people who care then the sumatran tiger, the giant panda and the white rhino would be extinct by now. because there were no conservationalist the Dodo, the passenger pidgeon and 'lonesome george' the galapagos tortoise are now extinct. I go on cruises not only to see the scenery and meet the local people, but to see the local wildlife. If there were no local wildlife then my cruises would be that much emptier. I don't want my grandchildren to come to me and say 'why didn't I do anything to stop it'.

You cant put a blue whale in an aquarium.