Taha'a

crisp1

Everyone seems to recommend just going to the Motu on Taha'a. We are beach people- go one day every weekend during the summer and early fall. But we never can spend more than a few hours. PG offers a 3.5 hour off road island tour. If we take this will we still have enough time to swim and relax at the Motu. Or does everyone still recommend just going to the Motu- we would probably end up back on the ship by early afternoon- or is it that good and we won't want to leave

Edited by crisp1

I would go to the motu for the day and stay as long as you can. Unlike some other excursions this one is done very well. On the motu there are a couple of hundred lounge chairs under the coconut trees so you can park yourself, if you like, in comfort for the day.

The bar is open and free from the minute you arrive. There are bathrooms and the setting is gorgeous. You can kayak, hang out in the water, snorkel, nap or read a book. They have a few "events" such as pareo tying, someone talks about vanilla, etc. There are about 10 tables selling vanilla, black pearls, etc.

We'll be there in about 2 months

Agree, just do the Motu. It seemed a full day with no boring time. We loved it. Lots to do or nothing if that is what you want. The coconut demo was most interesting. We snorkeled, soaked in the water, had a MaiTai from the floating bar, drinks from the real bar, lots of food and plenty of good conversation with fellow passengers and crew. Wish we could do that day once a week. At least. :D:D

I did the drift snorkel excursion on Taha'a and then went over to the Motu. Was plenty of time there, as far as I was concerned. I would not have wanted to spend the whole day there. I did go out snorkeling there as well, but there isn't much to see. Some interesting sea urchin colonies. I'm not sure if there was more out by the reef; they were filming some swimsuit thing, so I didn't go over there. We did participate in a kayak race and have a wonderful buffet.

We did the pearl farm and snorkel, then went to the motu. There was plenty of time. My only complaint is that they were out of coconuts by the time we got there! Well... not really a complaint, just a bummer. :-)

The motu was my favorite day on the PG cruise we took. In fact I would say I wouldn't take a PG cruise that didn't include it.

We were on the first tender over and stayed until into the afternoon. We snorkeled, Kayaked, wandered around the motu, ate, drank, talked to people, drank, laid in the water, fed the fish, and read. Of course not all these activities are for everyone but for me it made the perfected day.

I can't wait to spend the day there again. RZ3 - sorry you missed the coconuts. They made the best drinks.

The motu was my favorite day on the PG cruise we took. In fact I would say I wouldn't take a PG cruise that didn't include it.

We were on the first tender over and stayed until into the afternoon. We snorkeled, Kayaked, wandered around the motu, ate, drank, talked to people, drank, laid in the water, fed the fish, and read. Of course not all these activities are for everyone but for me it made the perfected day.

I can't wait to spend the day there again. RZ3 - sorry you missed the coconuts. They made the best drinks.

Completely agree. Motu Mahana is our favorite day!:)

I also adore the Motu Mahana day. On the "Repeater's" cruise last September, there were two Motu days: one towards the beginning and the second towards the end of the 10-day cruise. It was interesting to note that on the first Motu day, some of my fellow passengers didn't seem to know quite what to make of lying all day in the shade on a lounge on a beach, with great food and adult beverages in profusion, with the beautiful Gauguines singing. By the second day, about a week later, pretty well everybody had figured out that what you make of this day is to spend a lot of time grinning, eating, drinking, snoozing, dipping into the water, and then more grinning.

One small note: there is lots of space, chairs, food, and alcohol on the Motu, so being in a hurry to catch the first tender over will mean standing in line on the ship for no particular reason, unless you like standing in line.

Well...I have asked for two Motu Mahana days again. 2017 June/July reunion cruise. Cook Islands itinerary plus full day in Rangiroa for us to visit the Rangiroa blue lagoon!

Hasn't yet been finalized or approved so just saying....

We have a hold on the December 2016 "Special" Tuamotus sailing that has two days on Motu Mahana. It was a lovely thing, doing that last time--it truly was amazing to see how the pax had chilled out by their second visit.

I always have good intentions for booking a Taha'a excursion and just going to the motu in the afternoon, but so far it hasn't happened. Maybe next time I'll try a drift snorkel, if I'm feeling strong.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 5 weeks later...

The motu was really nice, but I would have been bored there all day. We did the island tour and were at the motu around noon (maybe 12:30). The last tender back to the ship was at 4:45, but we took the 4:15 one. That was more than enough beach time for me.

They started closing up lunch at 2 and most of the adult beverages were packed up by 3:30. They had a cooler with water, sodas, and beer available.

• 4 weeks later...
I did the drift snorkel excursion on Taha'a and then went over to the Motu. Was plenty of time there, as far as I was concerned. I would not have wanted to spend the whole day there. I did go out snorkeling there as well, but there isn't much to see. Some interesting sea urchin colonies. I'm not sure if there was more out by the reef; they were filming some swimsuit thing, so I didn't go over there. We did participate in a kayak race and have a wonderful buffet.

I agree with this completely. We did the drift snorkel and thought it was a lot of fun...the closest I have ever felt to flying like Superman (lol)! We did that in the morning and then then straight to the Motu after the excursion. I thought the Motu was fun, but in a previous post I described it as the "Disneyfication" of French Polynesia. Thought the afternoon at the Motu was plenty...in fact, we took the last tender back to the ship, and the last hour there was the best, as most of the people had gone back earlier. Quite a stunning place without the crowds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk